THM Clavicula M3 - who's got them? please report

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pawnii

by pawnii

I've done a search and couldn't find a thread on reports from owners.
Can anyone comment on these from experience? Any known problems?
I don't plan an SRM in the near future.

I has a set of the standard Clavicula's and they were nothing but trouble.
1. The 2 pinch bolt type and it never stopped squeaking. I tried everything and after 2 years gave up on them
2. There was always a little play in it regardless how tight i did up the preload bolt. It was because the aluminium part on the axle was warn where the bearings sit on it.
3. Also, the aluminium bung that the pedals screw into busted on me so i had to fix/modify it. This is what i did.
I brought them used from evilbay so who know's exactly what happened to them prior, i assumed they were crashed.

THM was excellent with helping me through all the problems so i'm not at all concerned they make dodgy products.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Have them on 2 bikes pf30 on Crumpton and english on Cervelo. I haven't had any trouble except when mechanic didnt torque down clamping bolt and crank came off stripping the preload cap. They mad it right in end by rethreading it with tap. It has been fine ever since, no creaks with pf 30 if you are concerned about that.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

No dramas at all with mine got a good 10000kms on them.
A set of praxis rings and you got winner. The Front shifting on mine with SR mech 2012 is awe inspiring!

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

I have a set of my personal Storck Aernario Platinum.....the cranks are great.
These frames are BB86 and require the special cups with integrated bearings which I personally don't like as I can't replace the bearings like in the other THM BBs.
Preload and spacers has to be correct...too tight and you damage the bearings. Too loose and you have sounds under torque.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have two pair with many miles on them. They have worked flawlessly. No problems whatsoever!

trikobe

by trikobe

Jmartpr Any issue with the new M3 clavicula in terms of clearance on the bb86 thm sleeve? I've got a compact THM clavicula (non M3) that I'm trying to install on a bb86 BMC bike. Having issues as the spider on the crank is contacting the outer thm bearing sleeve If i tighten, it squeezes right onto it and basically gets hung up and you can't even turn the arms. I was debating either getting a thm M3 or lightning or worse yet to grind a bit of the carbon off of the spider to create some clearance.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

At least on the M3 they include a 2.5 spacer you put on the non-drive side. If you don't use it you get the same problem you describe.
THM also include a 1.5 mm spacer for some applications you could add to either side...depending on the frame/application.
Maybe you can try using spacers on the drive side....just make sure the non-drive arms fully seats on the axle.

pawnii

by pawnii

Contact THM and explain the problem. I bet they'll just send you a spacer for free. They have for me every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Scott Foil Premium

pawnii

by pawnii

Contact THM and explain the problem. I bet they'll just send you a spacer for free. They have for me every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Scott Foil Premium

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

On two separate occasions THM has sent me spare parts for my clavicula cranks free of charge!

trikobe

by trikobe

Looks like I should drop them a line.....I'll give it a shot. Thanks

civdic

by civdic

I had a set. I had the BB86 Shimano pressfit THM bearings. I couldn't get the chainline correct. The crank was spaced out too far from the frame and caused a weird chain line. I had rubbing in the lower gears in both the large and small rings. The chain wasn't rubbing on the front dr but the cassette itself. It was noisy and I couldn't stand it. Ended up selling them and getting the a set of DA 9000. The problem went away and I can cross chain (not that I do) with little noise. Maybe just a bad crank.

pawnii

by pawnii

what frameset do you have?
I would need the THM BB86 press fit for my Scott Foil.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

civdic

by civdic

Sorry for the late reply. 2012 Time NXR. I have a friend with a 2011 TCR(?) Di2 specific had the same issues with the same type of cranks.