"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

Tinea Pedis wrote:No, opportunities. You read the article yesterday? Even before that it should have been apparent there are not enough GT's to cater for the talent Sky have on hand.

Obvisouly it's true but that's why they have been dominating so far.
Let's take an example which isnt from Marmite-land :mrgreen: ; Santambrogio last year was with BMC but then decided to have a cut in his paycheck and go for his own chances with a smaller team.
Did it work? Yes. Would every pro do it? Im not so sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Was it spinwax complaing about classic bars position on the random cyclist?
We should send a complain letter to UCI to fix that.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

micky wrote:Let's take an example which isnt from Marmite-land :mrgreen:

:?

Vegemite is where it's at. Marmite :shock:

micky wrote: Santambrogio last year was with BMC but then decided to have a cut in his paycheck and go for his own chances with a smaller team.
Did it work? Yes. Would every pro do it? Im not so sure.

That example would stack up better if there would have likely been a pay-cut for Richie, which I highly doubt.

Also, why are we behaving like this is a new concept in sport? Hundreds of athletes have done what Santambrogio did and what we some thought Richie might do. You don't even have to be short of success to do it - Gary Ablett Jr (who I do not expect you to know, but arguably the best active AFL player) left his star-studded Geelong Cats team to start with an entirely new team (ala Green Edge 2 years ago). Simply because he wanted the challenge.

Point is, athletes moving teams for bigger opportunities is nothing new. Whatever Richie has been offered clearly constitutes a bigger opportunity for him than moving did - only issue is in cycling, there is a finite number of those big offerings a team can dangle in front of a rider. Hence why the Colombians are now restless.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Marmite - isn't that KIWI?
I don't know why this subject is even coming up.. Porte never said he was considering leave Sky, he never said he was interested in joining any other team. In fact, from what I recall on the interweb, on websites or on TV, I've never seen any thing what so ever about Porte and his contract.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

There is a Kiwi and English version of Marmite. Neither are any good.

And of course he's said nothing, he's a quiet guy in addition to be being 100% professional is his dealings. The chatter is on popular speculation given the needs of OGE, Richie's nationality and our national desire to see an Aussie rider leading an Aussie team at the Tour de France.

It can't be based on anything else, as there hasn't been anything else said to base it on.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Unless Porte got a fat offer from BMC or maybe potentially Cannondale, no other team could offer a strong pay check combined with GT firepower and opportunity to be sole GC leader that Sky can.

Re:BMC- Cadel has got one good tour left and TvG doesn't cut the mustard in my book. I'd rather have Porte.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Fiery wrote:Evans too mentioned that there is some some gear they are using this year that is simply not finished and ready - and he said it commenting on Wiggins' Trentino bike toss. What equipment do BMC and Sky share?

I was thinking along the same lines. Evans was surprisingly candid about the equipment issues.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Leviathan wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:I enjoy reading The Secret Pro.

I found it pretty annoying - Lots of "I know something but I cant tell you what/who/why". Tease.

Problem is he wouldn't be The Secret Pro if he revealed too much. Revealing small tidbits is part of the charm.

KWalker

by KWalker

I don't think Santambrogio really went to Farnese-Vini for more opportunities, but maybe because BMC kept benching him for his involvement in the Mantova Investigation. Farnese just hired Di Luca back so they probably have a less strict attitude about riders racing when they're under a major doping investigation.

TP- You are right and I am wrong. Not sure what you want me to say, but others clarify what I thought I had read from Bobridge. Either way, there are a lot of Australian pros who have not felt the need to go to Green Edge and even when you take nationality out of it why would they? OGE has some good results, some promising riders, but it hasn't materialized into a major force yet. It definitely has the potential to, but I bet a serious GC contender does not want to wait around for that. The way I see it now OGE is basically like Sky was at their inception, but Sky managed to turn it around a little quicker with a GT win in their 3rd season, and a GT podium in their 2nd. OGE is not likely to do that.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jsinclair

by jsinclair

TP - even though I know what you are trying to say, and I agree, I don't think Gary Ablett jr is the correct comparison haha

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Christ, I give up :lol:

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

In my mind its a double edge sword..
OGE came in to the pro ranks when a lot of the guys they probably would have loved to have on their books were already tied in to current contacts. Out of Goss, Renshaw & Cav who were obviously out of contract, Renshaw had already signed with Rabo so it was down to Cav and Goss. No brainer for Gerry to sign an Aussie. The rest are the best of the unsigned riders who weren't opposed to joining an Aussie start up team.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

jooo

by jooo

KWalker wrote:The way I see it now OGE is basically like Sky was at their inception, but Sky managed to turn it around a little quicker with a GT win in their 3rd season, and a GT podium in their 2nd. OGE is not likely to do that.

I pretty much agree with this but think the teams do have slightly different goals - e.g. Sky have been rather poor in the classics but OGE won a monument in their 1st season.

euan

by euan

With a rider who had left Sky ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Marmite and Vegemite are both shit. Good to grease up your BB bearings only.

I think Porte will hang around a Team Sky and be the GT heir apparent when the dust settles on the Wiggins-Froome in-house squabbles....
Last edited by g_doraz on Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk