The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

Long live to cheap and light ebay parts!!! Sealing the top of the seatpost with insulation foam, to keep water away...

Happy Trails !!!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Lig, what items where those? Is that the 6kcycles post?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

Seatpost is 30.9x350mm, 3k carbon. It came with glossy finish but I made it matte with very thin sandpaper. They are No-brand typical ebay item, sold by Mr. Ride and other ebay sellers. Price was 100$ shipped home in just 2 weeks. It's not that 6kcycles seatpost, this one is a bit longer, kind of same weight and same price, but this one is carbon, so I guess it will be stronger and more comfortable, and been carbon I like more the look. Bolts and tube is titanium, craddle is from carbon as the main tube. I have one in my road bike, this one is for my XC mtb.

Stem is a UNO (Kalloy UNO), which was around 18-20€ shipped. Logos removed with acetone, and still with steel bolts. With ti bolts it will weight 89g.

I like to buy quality components for 1/5th of the price, and I specially like this no-logo look. Cycling design become too much of an overdose of banner and logos, which I don't like as I have no sponsor paying me for that.
Happy Trails !!!

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Boardman SLR 9.8 in UHC team colours. Second hand of course, but new to me. 1055g inc bearings...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Fork 382 grms inc bung

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Rose "attack" own brand seatpost, 350mm 31.6, 169g, Merek All Carbon saddle (ebay) 122gr

anicomp568

by anicomp568

Liggero wrote:Seatpost is 30.9x350mm, 3k carbon. It came with glossy finish but I made it matte with very thin sandpaper. They are No-brand typical ebay item, sold by Mr. Ride and other ebay sellers. Price was 100$ shipped home in just 2 weeks. It's not that 6kcycles seatpost, this one is a bit longer, kind of same weight and same price, but this one is carbon, so I guess it will be stronger and more comfortable, and been carbon I like more the look. Bolts and tube is titanium, craddle is from carbon as the main tube. I have one in my road bike, this one is for my XC mtb.

Stem is a UNO (Kalloy UNO), which was around 18-20€ shipped. Logos removed with acetone, and still with steel bolts. With ti bolts it will weight 89g.

I like to buy quality components for 1/5th of the price, and I specially like this no-logo look. Cycling design become too much of an overdose of banner and logos, which I don't like as I have no sponsor paying me for that.

Great weight-to-price value of the stem! Thanks for a good tip. Did you try whether the dimensions for handlebar and fork steerer are accurate?
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

Liggero

by Liggero

Dimensions are perfect. I already use this same stem in the same length in my road bike. This one goes for my mtb, you have links to both of my bikes in my signature.

I´m a long time Syntace stems user, I have a f99 in the mtb and i had a f109 in my road bike. Not anymore, these cheap stems weight a tiny bit less, they are also 3d forged and a bit oversized compared to syntace, but still lighter. The kay is they reduce weight in the transition between "tubes", specially in the inside of the stem, where there is no useless material, unlike the syntace, which are the second best stems in the market. IMHO. Some brands are already using this same stems with their logos, like merida pro mtb team, or new ultimate or max's system and some others. Kalloy has been making bike parts since forever. You might remember the typical silver kalloy uno stem and parts from the 90's, the best budget and nice components ever.
Happy Trails !!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Leviathan wrote:Boardman SLR 9.8 in UHC team colours. Second hand of course, but new to me. 1055g inc bearings...
What does 9.8 mean? When I see 9.8, I think of the standard gravitational acceleration 9.8 m/s^2.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

how the hell should I know? I dont even know what United healthcare is. Mind you Im pretty sure the down tube is named after Don Boardman, an Australian cricketer of the 1930s...
Last edited by Leviathan on Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

United HealthCare is a health care company in the U.S., and more pertinently, the name of a U.S.-based Professional (I think) Continental cycling team. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnitedHealthcare_%28cycling_team%29

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Leviathan wrote:how the hell should I know? I dont even know what United healthcare is. Mind you Im pretty the down tube is named after Don Boardman, an Australian cricketer of the 1930s...

nearly spat out my coffee here. good show mate, good show.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

anicomp568

by anicomp568

Liggero wrote:Dimensions are perfect. I already use this same stem in the same length in my road bike. This one goes for my mtb, you have links to both of my bikes in my signature.

I´m a long time Syntace stems user, I have a f99 in the mtb and i had a f109 in my road bike. Not anymore, these cheap stems weight a tiny bit less, they are also 3d forged and a bit oversized compared to syntace, but still lighter. The kay is they reduce weight in the transition between "tubes", specially in the inside of the stem, where there is no useless material, unlike the syntace, which are the second best stems in the market. IMHO. Some brands are already using this same stems with their logos, like merida pro mtb team, or new ultimate or max's system and some others. Kalloy has been making bike parts since forever. You might remember the typical silver kalloy uno stem and parts from the 90's, the best budget and nice components ever.

Okay, great.

Yeah, I had those silver Kalloy parts on my 24" inch kid´s bike with 3x7speed and gripshifts. I was the king of the village with that bike :-D
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

deermatt

by deermatt

About to take a leap and be one of the first to use these housings . Also purchased a full powercordz cable set, 6k cycles seat post, planet X ti skewers and omni seatpost clamp.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bangkok

by bangkok

Got an anemometer ... measures wind speed, and some other stuff like direction, temp, etc.

This is the JDC Skywatch Xplorer3.

Another toy to play with ...

http://www.jdc.ch/site/index.php?option ... Itemid=348