Continental Attack & Force Comp Tubular set - anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Anyone used them yet? Slowly running out of Comps and wondering what to stock.

Might even try running a Force up front on an alu rim for bad weather, poor roads, and big descents. 24mm should be sweet.

(Conti in general and Comps in particular have worked very well for me, and before you suggest, yes, I have tyres starting with "V" too, for those special rides)

elfuinha

by elfuinha

interested in feedback on these too.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed May 08, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i've used the clinchers and would not recommend them...

the concept is good, but the reality is another thing, the rolling resistance figures are awful, when riding they even feel draggy compared to other tyres, the compound cuts easily compared even to gp4000s which is already a soft tyre

the grip is excellent, but i think there are other tyres with good grip and without the less desirable characteristics of the attack/force

so if the tubs are anything like the clinchers, they will not be very good!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Haha sungod, I used the clinchers some 2 years ago too, and liked them quite a lot. As said I'm particularly interested in the 24mm Force (to run with 25mm Comp in the rear, among other wheel combinations).

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Just get a gatorskin sprinter (now even 25mm), cheaper and great tire.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I've found the robust Conti tyres quite uninspiring. Great for winter training because they hold up, but not so nice otherwise. Thankfully I'm riding on good roads mostly.

jasjas

by jasjas

i ve been looking at trying these also, i really rate the clincher force/attack as a race tire.
They ride completely differently to say a 4000S

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Maybe a touch uninspiring but the grip and durability are top notch. I too have some V's for the best days but I've had a lot more punctures on them...

deermatt

by deermatt

I cant see them being better than a gp4000

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

ultyguy wrote:Just get a gatorskin sprinter (now even 25mm), cheaper and great tire.

Friends don't let friends ride gatorskins :noidea:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

As long as said friend is willing to pick me up miles from home or is waiting with a spare wheel in the follow car during a race, sure ;-)

mentok

by mentok

sugarkane wrote:
ultyguy wrote:Just get a gatorskin sprinter (now even 25mm), cheaper and great tire.

Friends don't let friends ride gatorskins :noidea:

this guy. life is too short for crappy rubber.

P3PO

by P3PO

Continental Attack & Force Comp Tubular set,

Has anyone used these? I am considering getting a set for both my bikes I am curios about how they hold up over time and against punctures? also how do they ride with the size difference between the front and rear? I normally run Continental GP4000's and have been really happy with them.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Friend of mine says they are not worth it, since wear and puncture too quickly. 4000s are just fine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I run these. Well, I run the rear since I had to get my front wheel rebuilt, so pulling the front off ruined it.

Only have about 120 miles on the rear, seems OK so far. But I'm switching to Veloflex Carbon since these are my race wheels primarily.

The built/quality/QC of the Continentals are excellent. Better than Vittoria and Veloflex IMO. Just the way they are made/holding them in your hands/finish etc..very well done. Conti has always made great tires.

Puncture resistant should be the same as other Conti's, they are very good tires overall. I run GP4000S for my clinchers for years, those are great tires as well.

If you want latex though, you need to look elsewhere of course for tubulars. Since Conti has butyl only.