Light weight brakes that really work!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

Vuong05 wrote:In terms of weight difference, my EE brakes were 190g vs 142g from the fibula (both weights are without pads).
Strange, as my EE brakes weighed 189 grams WITH pads. Where did you get that extra mass from?
Last edited by mythical on Sun May 05, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Vuong05

by Vuong05

mythical wrote:
NiFTY wrote:In terms of weight difference, my EE brakes were 190g vs 142g from the fibula (both weights are without pads).
Strange, as my EE brakes weighed 189 grams WITH pads. Where did you get that extra mass from?

You are absolutely correct, that weight is with pads. Must have copied and paste the wrong weight when I made the post. The EE brakes are 169g without pads, so 27g heavier than the Fibula brakes.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

We've all made such mistakes. Speaking of THM Fibula brakes, one of the guys from Rolo bikes did an amazing job improving their looks!Image
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

lechat

by lechat

Big improvement.

jooo

by jooo

Re: Planet X/Feather/Token brakes
aaric wrote:Cons:
No quick release expander - have to use the threaded adjuster to clear some 25mm tires.

You know how the cable pinch bolt works right?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

:lol:

Vuong05

by Vuong05

That all black THM Fibula brakeset is the way it should have come from the factory. Looks so much better and makes an already cool setup that much better looking. I didn't have the guts to take the brakeset apart and just did the brake shoes and cable adjusters.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

anicomp568

by anicomp568

Mod edit: Please do not spam thread with items for sale.
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

aaric

by aaric

jooo wrote:Re: Planet X/Feather/Token brakes
You know how the cable pinch bolt works right?

Yeah, sure. Doesn't work well for me as I have to use the adjuster nut to get enough clearance to pull the cable out. Not a huge deal, but an annoyance compared with other brakes that you just flip the lever and they come out.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Hmm. I don't have that issue, but I guess if you liked having the pads very close to the rims I guess it may be a bit fidgety.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I find myself running the pads quite close to the brake surface with my Planet-X. For me, it counters the flex* I otherwise feel in the "QR" arm.

*I have yet to ride a pair of brakes that didn't have any flex. This doesn't mean they don't stop well. Different brakes just flex at different points. I found this adjustment gave me a much, much better feel about these brakes.

ichobi

by ichobi

Would you guys rate P-x brakes as good as DA or SR brakes in terms of stopping power and modulation?

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I've got Fibula's, KCNC and AX3000 in addition to Red, Rival, SR11 and DA7900.
Favourites for performance alone are SR11 and Fibulas (both in the double pivot rear option) - both have the stopping power of DA7900 but with better modulation.
I'm getting grumpier and more pragmatic with age so now demand better performing brakes than my early WW days - only brakes that work nowadays.
The SR11's are on the century bike and the Fibula's are on the WW bike.
If I was an engineer and starting afresh I would definitely give the EE's a go - nothing but good reports - unfortunately I am an architect and I refuse to put something that looks like a toilet cistern fitting on my bike. Form follows function but there is a limit!
KCNC are great value for money but a little lacking in power and modulation - probably locked them up more than any other brake.
Ax3000 are surprisingly good for their weight but too fragile for me and just not enough stopping power for hills.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

mythical

by mythical

Ironically, Craig, owner of EE Cycle Works and developer of the EE brake, is also an architect by profession. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

The first thing I thought of when I saw a set of EE brakes was Tatlins Tower:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatlin's_Tower