Experiences 2013 Felt F1?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kojtl1000

by kojtl1000

I'm still looking for a frame in the $3000-3500 range to build my next road bike. I was seriously considering the Specialized Tarmac SL4 frame for that price. But I just came across the 2013 Felt F1 frameset and I have to say that I really like the looks of this bike. However, it is really hard to find any kind of reviews or owners experiences for this bike.
I would appreciate it if people that have this bike would share their experiences. Also, how would this frame compare in stifness to f.e. a Cervelo R5, Specialized Tarmac, Colnago C59, ...
I am a rather light cyclist (135 lbs/6ft1), so not really the powerfull sprinter type. I currently own a Storck CD 1.0.

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I have a 2012 F1, and it's a very nice bike. It'll be plenty stiff, for your weight. I've only ridden a Tarmac, CAAD9, and a BH G5 to compare, but I like the Felt the most for everyday, grab a bike and take what ever comes at me kind of rides.

I get no flex out of the bottom bracket, at any time, and the ride is still very comfortable. I'd chose the F1 over my other bikes, if I was going to a 3+ hour ride. It also climbs real well, too. Seated or standing, it just goes.

Mordi

by Mordi

The SL4 and F1 happen to be the two bikes I currently ride. My Felt F1 is the 2012 model and I am using the 2013 Tarmac SL4 as my primary bike this season. I like the SL4 for its super stiff feel, responsiveness and good looks. But I have to agree with kevhogaz that the F1 is the better daily rider, especially if you have to choose one or the other. The F1 is a smoother ride without losing the responsiveness. Both bikes corner very well and feel good. The SL4 is just a bit less forgiving, which you really start to notice after 3+ hours. It is more of a brute force rocket that directly transmits power to the wheel. The F1 works more with you like an extension of your effort. I had planned to sell my F1 but couldn't bear to let it go, so it is now my "rain" bike and my backup for when the SL4 is in the shop. You wouldn't go wrong with either frame. At your weight, the F1 would be a good option.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I currently have the first model F1 carbon (got it new), so I guess that would be 2007. I'm looking to build another bike and am also considering a 2013 F1. I really like the one I have as my setup fits like a glove. Perfect fit. I am toying with the idea of going with Campy EPS and Enve 3.4 tubulars. I'm 6'3" and ride a 60cm, but looking to move to a 58CM frame.

My current F1 rides like a dream. Fast and corners very well. It will be interesting to read other points of view.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Ride magazine posted a review of the 2011 f1,when it came with CCUs, and had glowing praise for it.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duke249

by duke249

I'm on a 58cm felt. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs and find it to be plenty stiff, but very comfortable. The headtube is plenty stiff for hard cornering and the bottom bracket is also very stout. As mentioned by the above posters, its a really nice bicycle. Stiff, yet comfortable. I've ridden it with all different wheels ranging from Fulcrum 7 to CCU to Fulcrum 80mm Racing Speed. They all work well.

I recently picked up an S-Works SL3 and I've already decided to sell it. Its just way too harsh compared to the Felt.

I recommend the Felt. Its a great frameset.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I should mention that before I got my carbon Felt F1 I had their first iteration F1, which was aluminum. This frame developed a crack. I was told by my local Felt dealer that it is was warrantied, which was verified by Felt, but that I would need to exchange the frame. The shop shipped the frame to Felt and Felt again verified their warranty. Some time passed and then I was told that they had a new carbon F1 but that I would need to pay $1200 for the exchange. I mentioned that I could not afford to do that and asked for my frame back. My plan was to have it welded, which could have easily been done. The bad news I got from the shop was that the frame was destroyed and could not be returned. Neither the shop nor Felt would budge. I was forced to cough up $1200 for the warrantied replacement frame.

I know this was a unique circumstance, but make sure you understand fully Felts' warranty if you decide on purchasing one. I know I will.

AGW

by AGW

Have you considered the Felt FC frameset? If you decide to with Felt, and if you're going directly through Felt, you MUST do the custom paint option!

bura

by bura

A fellow came up with his new F1 yesterday.Looked like 1k CF weave to me. True?
Have to say that I liked the geo of this bike.
Another underrated brand IMO.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

roadytracky

by roadytracky

2014 F1 is supposed to have the new carbon finer that's currenly being used on the Argos/Shimano team bikes, specifically John Degenkolb's. VeloNews or Cyclingnews posted a review of his bike in the past month. Looks like the 2014 F1 will still have external brake cables...boo! Other than that, probably one of the best race frames out there.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

roadytracky wrote:2014 F1 is supposed to have the new carbon finer that's currenly being used on the Argos/Shimano team bikes, specifically John Degenkolb's. VeloNews or Cyclingnews posted a review of his bike in the past month. Looks like the 2014 F1 will still have external brake cables...boo! Other than that, probably one of the best race frames out there.

the new F FRD replaces the F1 in 2014 and makes use of the TeXtreme material offering a much lower FAW and higher modulus than most cosmetic 24t 100-200FAW UD finishes used today.
The new rig will still use externally routed brake cables as the reinforced areas of the frame are smaller and tubes' STW can be made higher without punching ~8mm holes in them.

-SD

blantonator

by blantonator

not to hi-jack the thread, but has anyone ridden the F1 vs the standard FC/F2 frame? Other than weight how does it compare?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Im the owner of an FC and previous owner of an EVO, and an SL3. I have to say the FC is just a solid race bike. Very straight forward geometry that handles great all around. The bike isn't feathery compared to the EVO but by no means heavy and takes an ungodly amount of abuse.

The F1 or the new FRD would certainly keep these characteristics only with competitive EVO weight. Highly recommended bikes and as mentioned earlier a little underrated.
Just ride ..

Sykes

by Sykes

SuperDave,

Could you compare the difference in ride quality between the FRD, F1 and FC. Or are we really just looking at a weight difference? I find it hard to believe that a different CF lay only alters the weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

metanoize

by metanoize

@SuperDave Is the geo the same on the 2014 F1 as the 2013 model?