overtighened seatpost clamp. damaged seatpost.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

odin99

by odin99

picked up a used road bike the other day. was quite disappointed to find the seatpost was cracked from over-tightening the seatpost clamp. :( I can see the damaged fibers from inside the seatpost, so its pretty substantial damage. i'm bummed because it tips the scale at only 150g... shoulda checked the seatpost before i bought it (got a great deal... but could have talked him down another $50).

is this one completely trashed or can it be repaired? i'm guessing the repair not be worth the $?

suggestions on what to do with broken carbon parts? i also have broken carbon handlebars...

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I would not ride it. Carbon parts loose strength by orders of magnitude when damaged. And they give no warning when they fail...

Get a new one...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

You can use the busted post to make a cradle to use with the new post!

deermatt

by deermatt

yeah, dont use that. You can get a brand new one from 6kcycles, mr.ride, omni racer or token for around 100 bucks, and weighing 100-120g.

bricky21

by bricky21

That's not necessarily due to over tightening, but it does look busted.

anicomp568

by anicomp568

It does not look so serious from this view, but if you can see damaged fibers inside, I would not also use it anymore
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

That seat post is shot. Not safe to use. Just replace it!

odin99

by odin99

btompkins0112 wrote:You can use the busted post to make a cradle to use with the new post!

excellent idea!! I'll have to look up a thread where someone does this so i can have something to follow.

i won't be using the seatpost as a seatpost... it is toast.

Camilo

by Camilo

It's worth a try to contact the guy you bought it from and see if he'll refund something reasonable. I'm assuming you think it was an honest mistake that he didn't disclose this damage and would simply like him to make a reasonable effort to make you whole on it. FWIW, I think this is a ruined seatpost and if he knew about it, that would be unacceptable and I'd be pi$$ed.... But I wouldn't necessarily assume he knew about it.

I bought a frame/fork from a guy and it included a headset stem and handlebar. As I was cleaning it up, I removed the handlebar and saw it had been crushed/dented under the stem faceplate. I sincerely don't think the guy knew about the damage. I contacted him and we agreed on a modest refund. (the handlebars weren't worth much, and the price I paid was fair even without the stem and bars).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Odin, just take some measurements....drill two holes and make two cuts annnnnd Bob's your Uncle!