Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

mentok wrote:so the rims in this thread (http://www.velobuild.com/wheels/4959-u- ... arbon-rims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are eventually going to be available from hongfu? i like the sound of these wider, bulged 40s, 56s, etc. i'll probably use the 56T for my race wheels for next summer.

These are the HongFu "Zipp" profile wheels.

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_produc ... s-289.html

56 clinchers are supposed to be shipping any day now. Tubulars in all sizes, and clinchers in others sizes as well, are still testing.

These are the closest things to Zipps you will be able to get if they actually ever ship. I personally just want the rim to build up my own set or two.

There really isn't any true wide profile too prodigal shaped wheel out except the major manufacturers, or a few custom builders with their own moulds. This will be the only and first open mould wide profile wheel like Bont, Zipp FC! Etc...

tharmor

by tharmor

mentok wrote:so the rims in this thread (http://www.velobuild.com/wheels/4959-u- ... arbon-rims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are eventually going to be available from hongfu? i like the sound of these wider, bulged 40s, 56s, etc. i'll probably use the 56T for my race wheels for next summer.

It sure sounds like velobuild has cut out HongFu entirely from the picture and gone straight to the manufacturer. It's not a bad move since his buying power is somewhat substantial. I sure hope he doesn't decide to brand them. If that's the case, I'll stick with HongFu.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

...and i want rims only, not built wheels...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Agreed, I want the rims only. I don't see any price breaks/benefits from going through Velobuild unless he has an exclusive deal with them, but I doubt that. Thus, he would have markup just like anybody else, so don't see how he would have better prices than HongFu. Plus, the Velobuild site owner is just as cryptic related to information as the Chinese sources.

Also, HongFu makes frames. Don't they make the rims also? I thought they were the source?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

██

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Not sure, but it is probably similar to the Farsports source.

These are technically not "wide" rims in the latest sense.

The toroidal shape, like the Zipp Firecrest, which actually bulge mid rim then narrow at the brake track a few MMs. Bont Aeolus, HEDs, November Rail, Boyd's 2013 lineup, and all are in the 25-28mm wide at the widest point, and around 23-25mm at the brake track range. You need to see cut aways, like that link shows to see the actual profile of the rim. So there is the toroidal shape/buldging that narrows back to the brake track, that is "wide".

This is the design and shape that provide many different positive benefits, and only a few detractions.

1) Aerodynamics, particularly xwind. Provides less drag at higher xwind compared to regular deep-v/box wheel designs.
2) Stability. This is obvious in xwinds/gusty conditions. The wheels only give a slight nudging affect. Whereas a deep-v design literally jerks the steering in your hands making for some unnerving situations.
3) Smoothing rough roads..smoother ride. The wheels will flex at the bulge providing some vertical forgiveness, but doesn't make for a less stiff rim. It can take greater impacts and reduce pinch flats.

Downside: The wider rims use more carbon, and the weight per rim has gone up. But, this isn't a detraction, because many manufacturers have come up with designs and layup to keep the wheel lighters, and stiffness/ride quality/aero at the same place. Vision Metron 40/55 wheels that Cannondale is riding this season and will be released soon is an example. 1295gm 55 clincher "wide" profile wheel.

The link you provide is still just a standard deep-v carbon design. There is not shown to be any benefit over a narrower deep-v of say 19-21mm of the last 3-4yrs that are still being sold by some manufacturers.

I would skip on any wheel like that, if you want "wide", you need the toroidal shaped wheels as I mentioned above.

mentok

by mentok

if you want wide for the ride quality though there is some merit in rims which are 23-25mm @ the brake track, but totally agree that these are just U-shaped not true toroids which is what the market seems to be waiting for. bring it on, hongfu :D

deermatt

by deermatt

Im looking for new wheels, I considered ordering through velobuild, but to be honest I dont see a point. I was considering the new wide 25mm rims, but on wheels far site, it only shows 20.5 wide rims, the 23mm wide are their cyclocross wheels. I ordered my frame from hong fu. and the quality is top notch , and i see theyre offering the 25mm wide rims, so I may get my wheels through them. I know people say "aero trumps weight" but would everyone suggest I get the 38mm depth, or the 50mm? It will be my only set of wheels.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

I'm looking for a wheelset similar to the 404 Firecrest (but obviously at a majorly discounted price) with the bulging-U shape (for example: 25mm wide at brake track, 27mm at center of the rim).

I see there's the new HongFu HF-R56 56mm rims, that appear to the bulging-U, but from what I've seen in this thread, they weigh almost 1700g?! Isn't that a bit much...?

I also see the FarSports CX wheels that are 50mm deep, 25mm wide (FSC50-CJ-25), but are these not the new bulging-U shape? Can you even use these CX rims on a road bike? What's the difference?

Are there any other options? Would like to spend less than $1k USD, preferably closer to $700.

deermatt

by deermatt

farsports refers to them as CX rims, but its what most people are buying as wanna be zipps.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

deermatt wrote:farsports refers to them as CX rims, but its what most people are buying as wanna be zipps.

But they're not the newest shape though, right?

deermatt

by deermatt

Hongfu, dengfu, wheelsfar/ farsports, focus carbon are using similar moulds . They're all new, some say theyre 23mm wide, some say 24, some say 25. None will be identical to a zipp firecrest, but they are all wide U shaped rims.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

deermatt wrote:Hongfu, dengfu, wheelsfar/ farsports, focus carbon are using similar moulds . They're all new, some say theyre 23mm wide, some say 24, some say 25. None will be identical to a zipp firecrest, but they are all wide U shaped rims.

From what I can tell, the Farsports ones are 25mm wide at the brake track, but don't get wider than that after.

Whereas the Hongfu ones are 25mm at the brake track, and flare out to 27.25mm at the center of the rim, like such:

But you can't buy the Hongfu ones as wheels yet, and I don't want to buy spokes, hubs, etc. and pay a wheelbuilder.

deermatt

by deermatt

I got my frame super fast from hongfu, but they told me for the 40mm deep rims, they wont even ship for 45 days. Focus has some in 50mm in stock, but I think that was deeper than what I wanted. Farsports is also sold out I believe .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

FPSDavid speaks the truth - if you want the firecrest copies then you want the hong fu 40 or 56mm wheels. the 56mm tubulars will probably be my next build in time for the summer racing come october/november.