Going from Romin Evo Pro to SMP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

hi guys, any one gone from Romin Evo to SMP, if so, which model works best, I think a little narrower seat will be better for me, please advice, wight, dont care, im sick of my but not being comfy, its not terrible, but it could be better, thx

lechat

by lechat

Haven't tried Evo, yet, but am currently using the original Romin. Problem I had with SMP is it was a bit hammock like. Focusing more pressure on my 'taint, not my sit bones. Hopefully it'll work out better for you. They aint cheap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Just fitted SMP Composit, after using a 143mm Romin, the one with a narrower nose (Romin Evo Pro?). So far so good but I haven't had any decent long rides. For short duration rides the Composit has been great, and I'm happy with the change: getting used to having no padding, love the full channel, like the pronounced curve upwards at the rear. Weights are similar, within grammes. If you check out Steve Hogg's excellent article on SMP saddles, the Composit whilst listed at 129mm actually suits wider backsides.
Also, for the record I remain happy with my Romin, and plan to use it on my #2 bike.
Less is more.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Went from the Romin Evo (155) to the SMP Dynamic. I like a bit more curve to my saddle; had the Antares (too flat) and while the Evo was better, still wanted a bit more curve and a little narrower saddle. I have the SMP Pro on my mtn bike and cx/rain bike, and though the Dynamic (there's a whole family in that size differentiated by amount of padding) should get a try for something lighter and a bit narrower.

Have about 400 mi on the Dynamic and it's OK. Not going back to the Evo, but noodling on putting a Pro on this bike as well as my other two. I think I'll give the Dynamic some more miles first.

arbitrage

by arbitrage

143 romino -> 143 romin evo pro -> smp dynamic

I'm very pleased with the dynamic after about 9 months of use. I find it is most comfortable in a low, aero position.

pje0713

by pje0713

Agreed, dynamic is best all-rounder. I tried a couple smp and read a comprehensive breakdown of All models somewhere online. Dynamic is best for most folks. I'm good with romin and toupe and the dynamic was pretty good for me as well.

Only problem IMO is the edges of saddle right at edge of cutout are so prominent that if you hit a bump the wrong way they get thrust into you like little shivs... Or at least that was my experience. I prefer the gentle slope into the cutout on the s works toupe, etc...

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

thank you guys, I think we are good to go with SMP!

mises

by mises

This is the best discussion I've seen of the dimensions, rider types, and setup for each SMP model - http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... bout-smps/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Thank you for the link, mises. Exactly what I was trying to send by telepathy! Although I think he's trying to retain a little bit of mystique to choosing a SMP, I think I managed to choose wisely without any actual trialing.
Less is more.