Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
astranoc

by astranoc

Thanks. Ok I am finished.. tyres are on the wheels.. I did my best! lol
It's not such a daunting experience as I thought it would be, but it was very hard job to center them once the tyre was on. I didn't get it 100%, I tried to center the thread but was mighty hard to find the correct spot. Oh well, practice makes perfect I guess.

Thank you all for the info in this thread :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It's not such a daunting experience as I thought it would be, but it was very hard job to center them once the tyre was on. I didn't get it 100%, I tried to center the thread but was mighty hard to find the correct spot. Oh well, practice makes perfect I guess.

Exactly. There's so much myth surrounding this gluing of tubulars. All it takes is just some common sense and a bit of confidence.
With practice you'll even find that centring the tub spot on is a piece of cake. Get it right at the start (the valve area) and the only area of user induced error left is bound to be opposite of that. Easier said than done, I know.

Enjoy, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shampoo

by shampoo

Hi everyone

I am desperately trying to find some Veloflex Roubaix online at a decent price. My usual Etailer is out of stock and has been for a while and sourcing a replacement has been impossible so far.

Any ideas where I can find a source ?

Thanks!

J

eurperg

by eurperg

velo-motion and jedi-sports are good sources for veloflex...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As is Bike-Palast in Munich but none of these shops are no longer as cheap as they used to be....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

cnbky

by cnbky

Hi - not so much a a tubular but an open tubular technique question.

I've mastered popping on notoriously difficult tires but does anyone have any technique suggestions on how to remove them without levers?

sungod

by sungod

after blistering my thumbs, i started using a lever

just one of the lezyne matrix levers is all that's needed, it's blunt enough to force in without causing damage, and once there's a gap, you can push it through and move around the rim levering the tub off until the gap is big enough to get a hand in an pull it off

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-matrix-tyre-lever/

cnbky

by cnbky

Yeah that's what I've been doing so far on Vitoria SCs, no tube creeping out thus far. But noticed that veloflex is even a tighter fit.

No way I'm getting off a tire in a rush side of road without one lever.

sungod

by sungod

canbakay wrote:Yeah that's what I've been doing so far on Vitoria SCs, no tube creeping out thus far. But noticed that veloflex is even a tighter fit.

No way I'm getting off a tire in a rush side of road without one lever.

just noticed you said "open tubular", i though it was tubular, that's what i use the lezyne lever for

for clinchers, the crank brothers 'speed lever' is very good, i noticed they have a newer one, 'speedier lever', haven't tried that one

shampoo

by shampoo

eurperg wrote:velo-motion and jedi-sports are good sources for veloflex...

Thanks for the reply.. For some reason, velo-motion's checkout process is broken.. I choose Paypal as payment option and I can never get to the page that allows me to pay.. I've emailed them two times and no real reply. I used to buy from them all the time.

Has anyone had any recent luck with velo-motion recently ?

Thanks, I'll check out jedi

J

LouisN

by LouisN

Shampoo,

I know Bike Palast does ship to Canada even if you can't complete the checkout process with Paypal, I emailed them last winter about this.
Not shure about velo motion or Jedi though...

Louis :)

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Glued up a set of Corsa Evo IIIs recently and as part of a troubleshooting exercise with my LBS had them removed in favour of some Conti Sprinters (for the record it did not help...)

The shop subsequently told me (over the phone) that they needed to spend some time after the removal to clean up "globs of glue" they found on the rim. I was a bit confused since I did the job myself and thought I had done a good job. After getting the wheels back I realised the mechanic was talking about the left over base-tape coating Vittoria applies, which came off in clumps and stuck to the rim when they removed the tire. In hind-sight I realized they pretty much only sell Conti rubber...

Short story long, what do I need to do to prep the Corsas again for mounting? Do I need to scrape off the latex from the base tape before a new coat of mastik or am I good to go the way they are? The protective coating is largely intact and have less than 60 km on them.

I'm also going back to "packing my own chute" :-)

sungod

by sungod

if most of the coating stays on the basetape, i'd put a layer of glue on, let it dry, then a layer on the rim and mount the tyre

fwiw with veloflex i find almost all the latex stays on the rim, the basetape is left bare, after two tyres the rim has so much gunk on it that it needs stripping bare, so veloflex i now scrape off the latex before mounting - the latex free tyres stick *much* harder to the rim, without a lever i'd never be able to remove one

Geoff

by Geoff

@mellowJohnny, I think you will be ok re-glue a new tubular with a few fresh layers of glue. I dont think Vittoria has put latex on its basetapes for quite some time now, so the residue that you see is something else. Anyway, it does not seem to really impede a good glue job from going-down over it. With respect to how much you need, you will need to eyeball it a bit. If you have a nice, even layer, you should be good to go with one or two layers of fresh, thin, even layers.

@canbakay, ablsolutely there is a technique to dismounting a tubular on the road.

1. Take the wheel off the bike. If the tire isnt already deflated, do so.

2. Starting with the valve stem facing down and the wheel upright on the ground, place the ball of both your palms on the top of the tread, roughly 8-10cm apart. Press down on the tread and draw the whole casing toward you. Reach under the over-lapped casing with your thumbs, as close as you can get to the rim.

3. With your thumbs together you should now have a reasonable base (as much as you can get) to start working a small bit of the tire up off the rim bed. You only need a few cm to start with. Once you have a start, turn the wheel around and do the same for the other side of the wheel.

4. Once you have a the tire started, you should have no problem moving on along the rim until you can roll the tire off and pull the whole thing away at once.

dj97223

by dj97223

Geoff,

Are you saying start at the valve?????
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com