Shamal Hubs - Rebuild with what else?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milroy

by milroy

I have an old set of Shamals which need new rims and I'm trying to establish whether the hubs can be built into some other type of rim given the 18/21 G3 spoke pattern and proprietary spokes.

I'm not a wheel builder but I'd assume that the low spoke count is going to need a deeper rim to have enough stiffness – and therefore shorter spokes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I have a sneaking suspicion any 28 hole rim would work... anyone tried this?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Hmmm....
The hubs are as old as the wheels, nothing special by today's standards. Big balls, no separators and heavy too. Add to that that the freewheel is still 8S or 9S at best.
IOW, these where great wheels way back when. The rims were amazingly light though at around 500g each for the tubular version.

But wait, 18/21 you said? Surely it can't be the same Shamals I'm referring to. Yours are from 2008 or thereabouts, right?
If so, why not just replace the rim with new Shamal or Eurus ones?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A 28 hole rim should work for the rear. I have total brain failure so I can can't think what would work on the front.

milroy

by milroy

Thanks and sorry. Yes. By "old" I more accurately I should have said "used". They are the first gen two-way fit Shamals in titanium grey - about 3 to 4 years old. The brake track of the front rim is worn down far enough to be of concern. For instance:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109315

I considered using a new Campag rim, but like the case with many Campag products, while they are rebuildable, its often not worth bothering because spare parts can rarely be found at a discount while the entire components can. (By way of example I recently replaced my entire 2009 SR crank set for about the same as it would have cost me to replace the rings and chain ring bolts alone.)

Anyways, I ended up buying a brand new set of Shamals fairly cheaply. Yes it cost me marginally more than the new rim + build but in the end I get new hubs, bearing, freewheel etc etc. (also now in black which wasn’t available when I bought the originals).

So while this is potentially circular logic, I still have the old wheels in which the hubs are still serviceable. If there is a cheap way to get them running, I’d consider it.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

hmm... Kinlin XR-270 or XC-270 rim (about $40) and Sapim race spokes ($1) with brass nipples ($0.18) should cost you under $200 to get and should get these wheels "serviceable" again

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

milroy

by milroy

Thanks. The issue might be whether the spokes will fit the hubs which are designed for the fat aluminium spokes. I was wondering if anyone had experiance in this regard.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

:doh: forgot about that... you can get straight pull CX-Ray spokes, but I'm not sure if they'll fit. If you've pulled the wheel apart already, it may be worth checking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com