Shift cable stuck in a bad place

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justinn

by justinn

Used a red hot screw driver to melt away any adhesive in front of the cable - in turn probably shrunk the carbon a little bit and the cable just popped out

I hope none of you even have to deal with something like this, but thanks for your help!

pawnii

by pawnii

well done mate :thumbup:
these things happen.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justinn

by justinn

One more question.. The bottom bracket that comes on the foil is a press fit Shimano BB91. I have a SRAM GXP crank and it looks like I need a spacer. Is that the case? I thought the two were compatible?

Edit: Nevermind, I guess they aren't. Which SRAM Pressfit bottom bracket would I need?

Cosmo

by Cosmo

SRAM/Truvativ Press Fit GXP. Basically a set of GXP bearings in Delrin cups to press into a frame. If you have a road frame it's likely an 86mm shell width, not 91. Only difference there is the length of the internal seal sleeve, if you end up with a 91 (mtb) then just cut to fit.

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-pressfit-gxp-bb
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

sungod

by sungod

justinn wrote:http://www.lifeandhome.com/welder-730657-professional-welder-adhesive-1-oz.html?gclid=CK6Z1daW_bYCFYx_QgodlQMAZw

that is what I used, I'm not sure what it is

Dremeling is much harder than I thought it would be, probably making it worse. I'm going to call a local carbon repair shop on Monday

according to the msds the solvent in that glue is toluene, so white spirit or petrol will probably work ok too

if it's a cf frame i'd be wary of using a soldering iron/other heat source in case it affects the epoxy resin or damages the cable guides