Campagnolo super record 11 vs DA9000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

TrekUk wrote:sram is usually always the lightest, but it always shifts the worst in comparison tests.

Comparison tests? Do tell.

TrekUk wrote: its not preference, if you go out and buy SR you will love it, if you ride SR then to try DA you will buy DA, if your concerned about weight you buy SR, if you want performance its DA, nothing at all to do with preference.

No no, I'm so sorry to have assumed that a person such as yourself would ever have bias. I mean, just because your username is TrekUK it's not like you have a bias for Trek... and that avatar/image of a DA 9000 Crankset certainly indicates no bias towards DA9000... I mean, Shimano chose that for you, out of the endless possibilities of images you could have placed there, you didn't chose the DA9000 crankset... but, wait, you did.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I'm not sure that the US counts as an english-speaking country any longer.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

prendrefeu wrote:
TrekUk wrote:sram is usually always the lightest, but it always shifts the worst in comparison tests.

Comparison tests? Do tell.

TrekUk wrote: its not preference, if you go out and buy SR you will love it, if you ride SR then to try DA you will buy DA, if your concerned about weight you buy SR, if you want performance its DA, nothing at all to do with preference.

No no, I'm so sorry to have assumed that a person such as yourself would ever have bias. I mean, just because your username is TrekUK it's not like you have a bias for Trek... and that avatar/image of a DA 9000 Crankset certainly indicates no bias towards DA9000... I mean, Shimano chose that for you, out of the endless possibilities of images you could have placed there, you didn't chose the DA9000 crankset... but, wait, you did.

I ride a Trek and I ride with DA, so im being criticize for my username now? what a pathetic post that is irrelevant to the OP discussion.

These comments aren't biased, they are the general consensus and not those of just my experience.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Actually, it is relevant. Start with page 1 and start reading.

Second, 'general consensus' ? General to who? Still waiting for those Comparison Tests you are referring to. There are folks here who are quite passionate about Campagnolo, I'm sure they'll contend against your 'general consensus'.

And before you go off on some statement such as "prendrefeu is anti-DA9000" how about you try reading the thread again? Start at page 1.
DA9000 is pretty awesome. No doubt about that. I'm glad to see Shimano continue to push mechanical more.
So is Super Record, in its own way.
So is Red, in its own way.

Personal preferences.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

wingguy

by wingguy

Madone69 wrote:Super Record 11- near perfect. very finicky on setup. brilliant when done right. :thumbup:

I've found SR11 to be a mix of the absolutely magical and the borderline unnacceptable, tbh.

ticou

by ticou

Suntour is where it's at guys.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

borderline unnacceptable, tbh.

Not to add fuel to the fire but "borderline unacceptable" deserves some explanation.

Here's my bias for you all : I hate stuff that comes with build in obsolescence, love the cleverness of the Campa stuff and love the looks of a Ferrari but I'd still drive a Porsche if I could afford one.
Campagnolo's groupsets are in some way like Porsche meeting Ferrari. A beauty to the eye yet as functional as can be.

Enjoy whatever you choose, it's your choice.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

You have to give DA9000 the merit it deserves.

For once since the 90s Shimano came up with a crank that is not horrendous, props to them.

Other than that SR11 still is way above in form and function.

Electric? Leave that for mopeds...
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

ticou

by ticou

Hang on, you'd rather drive a Porsche than a 458?

Chaps did I just hear that? I don't ask that some of us should do a Fine Arts Degree, with a vat of boiling oil poised above their head should they fail for one moment to pay attention in class, but really. And for the billionth time fdegrove, watch 'Competitive cyclist reviews Campy 11 speed' on youtube. It will outlast yer shims ten fold.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

And for the billionth time fdegrove, watch 'Competitive cyclist reviews Campy 11 speed' on youtube. It will outlast yer shims ten fold.

And what exactly is your point for the billionth time then ?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Stefano

by Stefano

Speaking of a comparison test, this video is interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_yPgF6YM_c
Wish I could understand japanese though...

In another vein, has anyone figured out how much of the benefit of 9000 is due to the new polymer cables? I'm wondering because I think it would be cool to get the slicker shifting without giving up my treasured thumb triggers :)

Stefano

aermet

by aermet

Went to Campy exclusively over 15 years ago.

Fitted a bike with Di2 shortly after it was released. That precipitated my exodus away from campy.
Still had a couple of bikes, one record, one chorus, 11 speed. Once I started riding the Di2, I found that I couldn't spend much time on my campy bikes, Di2 was, for me, that much nicer. I know you inquired about DA9000, please bear with me.

I used to think it was so cool to be able to change my index springs, index washers, etc. (don't get to do that with the new campy design) Except I've come to find out that the various mechanical DA7900 as well as Di2 components have yet to fail me once.

Here's something to consider.

Had a newer 11 speed record shifter go bad. 1 month to get it back under warranty.
The second time something broke, just a few months after the first one, and before a big race-shop ended up speaking to campy USA, and after speaking to quite an a***hole there, was literally told, "What do you want me to do about it!#!".

I swore I would never own campy again.

You pay the premium price, get miserable customer service, and have to smile while you're getting it.

Last I knew, if you have an issue with a campy component, and you are in the USA, you must go through your local shop, where they will send the component back to a campy distributor who must be approved to repair it-and they will try to repair it before determining if/when they send out the replacement. If you're lucky, you'll be without your campy equipped bike for at least 2 weeks, (unless you're willing to pay for next day/second day ups shipping) if not so lucky, much longer than that.

Campy in the USA does not, for the most part, stock any components. They are for the most part, only administrative and have a small service facility, (what for?) hence parts going back to the distributors.

With Shimano or SRAM, if you have a problem, the shop picks up the phone, calls either shimano or sram directly, and they will, 95% of the time put your new replacement part in the mail immediately.

The shop returns your old component after they exchange/replace it. You're on the road in 1-2 days on the outside if you're in the western half of the US with shimano (though they now also have a warehouse on the east coast) and within 3 or 4 days with sram (they're in the midwest). In my experience, customer service from shimano and sram are excellent. They seem to actually have some sort of ethos/culture that seems to want to really take care of the customer and get them back on their bikes as soon as possible.

As far as the actual feel/operation of the shimano/sram/campy components, the new DA9000 mechanical, for me, is so close to perfection that if it weren't for the satellite shifters I use on my Di2 bike, I wouldn't even use Di2 anymore. It works that well. Front shifting and brakes are even a notch better than DA7900. They have done a fantastic job with DA9000.

ticou

by ticou

Good points there. I've been lucky, i've had three years fault free with very basic care, and I can't see Chorus being bettered, as a daily driver/racer. Campag arn't a world wide conglomerate producer like Shim, so they have to specialize in quality in all areas, i.e cronitect racers with top quality ceramic bearings, hand moulded brake hoods, over anodized chain rings etc, to stay in the market. And with bike shops that know their business.

I hate the depersonalization of Conglomerates. It reminds me of the foundries of Mordor.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

It amazes me how these threads can just go on and on.