Mavic R-Sys wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I never claimed yours were an assumption.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mann2

by mann2

@op, check if the spokes have three sliver lines. these would be better as these are the upgraded model. me personally, i'd stick with metal on my spokes :)

eric

by eric

Rouesartisanales found the Ksyrium ES to be the very worst wheel in their big aero test. (http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and R-SYS wheels to be 1.35 time worse still (http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-6833227.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). That's what you would expect with large unaero hubs, shallow rims with a lot of square edges, and especialy the large diameter round spokes. Can you can "barn door"? Or "parachute"?

If you can't find clinchers that weigh less than 1390g you're not much of a weight weenie. I have 50mm deep carbon clinchers that weigh less, and that's on non WW hubs.

I want all the guys I race against to ride these wheels. That's like giving me 10 or 15 free watts.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

airwise wrote:You will not find a STIFF, 1300g, Alloy clincher that approaches the R Sys. I certainly haven't and it's not for want of trying.

Dura Ace C24?

airwise

by airwise

eric wrote:I want all the guys I race against to ride these wheels. That's like giving me 10 or 15 free watts.

You honestly believe that?

Better tell Mr Basso - mind you I doubt he's stupid enough to ride a climbing wheel in a flat crit.

Dura Ace C24?

I've owned both and the C24 are nowhere near as stiff, nor as light. Nice wheels mind. I really like the C24 as it's really comfortable and has low inertia due to the light weight rim. Very different though.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

airwise wrote:Better tell Mr Basso - mind you I doubt he's stupid enough to ride a climbing wheel in a flat crit.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/39th-g ... -1/results

Basso winning alone on R-Sys....but then again, we don't all have Ivan's legs :lol:

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Tinea Pedis wrote:Or dog ;)

Forza Birillo!:smile:
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

Really good info, thanks guys and very interesting that these are a love or hate wheel. Online shops in the UK tend to receive good reviews for them. The ones I've seen for sale have the rings on the spokes and based on gathered info Ill limit expenditure to £250 unless they are mint.

Is a VAM of 1000 a recognised point where the weight vs aero debate comes into effect? I climb on average a shade over this and the idea of losing weight off the wheels has always been presented to me in a logical fashion. I'm 6'4" and 13 stone, sub 180lbs when training hard so body weight not an issue thus the quest for lighter wheels. Steering slightly away from the original question, if on a budget of about £600-£700 for new wheels, what would people recommend? Thoughts so far have been:

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24
Easton EA90 SLX

Both about 1400g, but not so aero.
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

eric wrote:Rouesartisanales found the Ksyrium ES to be the very worst wheel in their big aero test. (http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and R-SYS wheels to be 1.35 time worse still (http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-6833227.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). That's what you would expect with large unaero hubs, shallow rims with a lot of square edges, and especialy the large diameter round spokes. Can you can "barn door"? Or "parachute"?

If you can't find clinchers that weigh less than 1390g you're not much of a weight weenie. I have 50mm deep carbon clinchers that weigh less, and that's on non WW hubs.

I want all the guys I race against to ride these wheels. That's like giving me 10 or 15 free watts.

Thats a great link to the aero test, cheers. So help me out here, sub 1390g recommendations. I am on a budget though!

I found these, they are a little more expensive, but I'd value peoples opinion on them. Anyone used / own them?

http://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperClinch%20SP.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10

airwise

by airwise

Extralights are like noodles. Awful wheels unless you weigh about eight stone IME.

Really don't get hung up on aerodynamics unless these are your only wheels and you ride a lot on the flat.

To give you an idea Corima tested their Aero+ wheel (45mm rim) and compared it to the Winium at 21mm (and 110g lighter).

Results were that at 50kph the Aero wheel saved 6.5w. But at 30kph just 1.34w and at 40kph, 3.28w

Now on a 5% gradient, at 30kph they saved just 0.85w, on the same gradient at 20kph (VAM of 1000) they were level pegging and any slower and the lighter wheel was quicker.

On gradients above this, assuming you can't climb a 10% gradient at 30kph, the lighter wheelset saved you watts.

So unless you are riding on the flat at more than 40kph aerodynamics are of a lot less importance than we might be led to believe according to Corima's tests.

Phill P

by Phill P

Yes all reports say the wheel feel very stiff, and they accelerate wheel because of the very light rim (because it is not under compression, and then having the spokes at high average tension with fatigue cycling). Fact is round CF tubes will buckle and fail when under enough compression, which is what happened to the early models, but my engineering judgement says these are still likely to fail far more catastrophically when the loads get out of balance than a tensile loaded steel spoke.

Also if you check the aero tests above- the R-SYS is terrible. Yep nice light Al clinchers, but a parachute at any point over 30kph, and will hurt you more and more very kph after that.

How much did Basso get paid to ride the R-SYS wheels? Also what did Basso get busted for not long after riding these wheels to victory?
Mavic sponsors ALOT or teams and you don't see a lot of riders using these wheels, even in the high mountains. Could be due to the fact they have to ride a few hundred km at 40+kph before getting to said mountain......

How much can you buy these wheels for? I find it hard to believe you can get a decent set of hubs with the right number of aerolite or CX-rays with a kinlin or other light weight rim to will come in at a similar weight and cost less than the RRP of a set of R-SYS.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xr19w- ... -5631.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or even better with these rims for a little more
http://fairwheelbikes.com/pacenti-sl23-rim-p-5634.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

airwise

by airwise

Let's get some perspective.

In the RA tests, at 50 kph, the R SYS absorbed 35w, an alternative low profile lightweight setup like the Tune Sykline, 28w.

So a maximum of 7w at 50 kph. That will translate to 3.5w at 40kph and just over a watt at 30kph. So if you average around 30 kph for a ride, the best low profile alternative might save you a single watt from aerodynamics, or less than half a percent.

And if you compare the stiffness of the Tune to the R SYS it's quite shocking.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I wasn't aware that stiff wheels = good wheels. There is a happy medium, IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airwise

by airwise

I'd agree, but then many people seem to want stiff frames for speed - seems incongruous to stick wobbly wheels on them to connect to the road.

IME a laterally stiff wheel will corner better when descending - if I want comfort I fit 25c tires. If I just want a pootle I ride a ti bike with handbuilts - but not some of these handbuilts with low spoke counts and weight limits.