Leaving BMC, welcoming Trek…

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

New build coming in 2 weeks’ time, and before I strip my current setup I’ll want to post it up here in rememberance. It’s the last generation of the original BMC Team Machine SLT01, bought in 2010 and built up/upgraded over the years to become semi-weightweenie at 6.4kg – not an easy feat as the frame alone weights about 1.6kg. A bit of a Frankenstein bike, but I choose each part for specific reasons, weight/cost/practicality etc

BMC SLT01 Sz 53, UD carbon tubes with alloy lugged construction, Easton EC90 fork with Extralite ultrastar expander 2

Campagnolo Record 10 shifters with red Hudz

Campagnolo Record 10 Front and Rear Derailleur, the former attached with an eXotic carbon clamp and the latter tuned with fiberlyte carbon rear mech plate, KCNC gold pulleys and bolts.

Planet X CNC brake calipers with gold brake shoes

Alligator I-links brake cables/mini i-links shifter cables

KCNC K2 crankset compact 110bcd, with Osymetric rings 52-38 teeth

Look Keo Blade 16Nm tuned with White Industries titanium spindle

KMC x10SL gold chain

Zipp SL 145 carbon stem, 130mm

Zipp Vuka Sprint bars, 40 c-to-c

Pro Vibe carbon Seatpost 31.6mm x 280mm

Specialized S-works Toupe saddle 143mm

Madfiber tubular wheels 1080gms with shimano freehub, Shimano 7900 11-23t cassette. Vittoria Evo SC tubular tires

KCNC gold titanium skewers

Red/Black Specialized bottle cages with matching colour alloy bolts

Not everyone will take to the gold accents but I love it all, and it’s nice when I know people look at it because it’s a unique build and not just an expensive brand.

michel2

by michel2

Love it, loud n proud !! I would keep this and trek straight on ebay (;
Realy nice to see a personal build !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Agreed. That's truly a hot build , WW or not.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Very nice build! The only thing I don't like are the Planet-X brakes.

GASer

by GASer

Impressive
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

the old Team Machine has always been my favorite BMC model.
well done. love it.

seismic

by seismic

Awesome bike.......will your Trek be able to live up to this?

davec

by davec

Please, you're making a mistake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

That's a tough question Seismic - new bike will have updated parts (including the frame itself of course) but it'll probably have less character (and bling parts). I still wonder very often how I could let go of this beauty, just hope the new one is lovely enough and performs better. At the very least, it'll be much lighter...

loudtiger

by loudtiger

can't wait to see pics of the trek. i really like the look of this bike though... shame to see it go.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I think the trek is going to be a miles better bike, very wise to make the change over.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

mrfish

by mrfish

For sure the Trek is a better bike, so if it were me I'd keep the BMC frame and build it with a more neutral (but still light) groupset in silver / black, say black / silver Record 10 speed with 30-40mm carbon rims, small or no logo bars, stem and saddle.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Is that a tube with a red valve or a valve extender?

Bike looking really really nice!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

mrfish: Unfortunately my wife don't believe a man needs more than one bike...
Nejmann: That's a Vittoria tubular where the valve is directly screwed onto the bottom of the tire. I bought 80mm ones as it's 66mm rims behind, and so uses the same for the front too to save the trouble of using extenders.

New bike pics coming soon! It's here but I am waiting for parts to be shipped to me this and next week, so no building as yet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just in – Trek Madone 7 Nissan-Radioshack Team Issue size 54 H1 fit. Weighed with frame, rear brakes, duotrap and bearings. I suspect that the brakes are unacceptable for a weightweenie build but don’t really want to try removing them to weight it due to a lack of technical skill.

Fork with front brakes – adjustor barrel feels plasticky, and colour doesn’t match the frame/fork. Will definitely upgrade to Shimano 9010 DA brakes in a few months’ time. Does anyone has the weight of the stock bontrager brakes?

Seat mast is very heavy too, and I thought it’s carbon?? My carbon Pro Vibe 31.6mm x 280mm seatpost on the BMC weighs 152g in comparison.

Cane Creek 40 series headset – happily, a friend with an extra set has this low height cap to exchange with my standard one. Fit shouldn’t differ much from the BMC and the stem should be slammed here too.