Light weight brakes that really work!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rockdude

by rockdude

Several other reasons I like the EE's are
*ez to setup
*the engineering of these is really nice and they are well thought out.
*the customer service is great. Went you call them up, you talk to the owner/designer.
Last edited by rockdude on Thu May 02, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

getting dropped

by getting dropped

I have a related question...

A friend is looking for some better brakes than his TRP 920SL brakes - he doesn't like their power, feels they are a bit lacking...not sure if he should switch back to say Shimano. (Uses Dura-Ace 7800 brake levers currently.)

With all the options out there, what is a better brake with good power [i]using the 7800 levers[/i] that doesn't cost a ton, and that is still reasonably light?

aaric

by aaric

I'd give the planet x brakes another vote.

Pros:
Cheap ($129shipped?)
Light (2 pair under 200grams / set with pads)
Good modulation
looks good

Cons:
Mashes the brake cable flat. If you don't mash the cable, the cable will slip under hard pressure
A bit finicky to set up. (Hints: You have to use a 4mm allen wrench to set the brake center as you tighten the bolt, and make sure to tighten down the cable clamp securely)
No quick release expander - have to use the threaded adjuster to clear some 25mm tires.
Cable can slip under hard braking if you don't make sure to smash your brake cable: I did this on my first test ride, and my lever went all the way to the bars...I could see this being a big issue if you don't tighten it enough, and then need a panic stop.

I'd classify them as having comparable performance to the original sram red brakes, at a much lighter weight, and better modulation.

I'm sure the eeCyclewerks ones are great, but their looks are a bit out there, and they cost a lot more.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

pawnii wrote:I hope the Gravitas brakes are not as bad as everyone here makes them out to be....mine just came in the mail.

They are a joke! They are in the process of being replaced.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

@Vuong05

What is the actual weight difference between the THM and the ee? How improved is the modulation on the ee, very noticeable? Thanks in advance.

RyanH

by RyanH

Pawnii:

I have the Gravitas and found them similar to the planet x. If you are using them with carbon wheels, get the new Swiss Stop black pads. If you want a scary experience, get some cork pads.

springs

by springs

juanacity wrote:Another vote for Planet X. A little fiddly to set up, but manageable and work really well once you get them adjusted. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience with them on any of the new wider wheels.

I use them with new Zipp 202 FC clinchers. No extra work to set up, and the wheels slip right out with no fuss. Will have to try Black Prince pads to solve some squealing issues with the Tangentes.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Black Prince pads for carbon rims seem to improve alot of these brakes.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Another vote for EE. Much better looking in person than in photos too.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vuong05

by Vuong05

RudyMontana wrote:@Vuong05

What is the actual weight difference between the THM and the ee? How improved is the modulation on the ee, very noticeable? Thanks in advance.

I had the first gen EE with the upgraded bridge and I would say the difference in modulation is very small. If the EE brakes are a 10, I would say the the Fibula brakes are a 9. Minor, but just noticeable. In terms of weight difference, my EE brakes were 190g vs 142g from the fibula (both weights are without pads).
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

pawnii

by pawnii

RyanH wrote:Pawnii:

I have the Gravitas and found them similar to the planet x. If you are using them with carbon wheels, get the new Swiss Stop black pads. If you want a scary experience, get some cork pads.

I have both Enve and Zipp wheels and they both say u have to use their pads or it voids the warranty.

Would love to try the Black prince pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Saoi

by Saoi

The EE's have long been a wet dream; sadly, I have a hard time justifying that sort of cost for a set of brakes. The Far and Nears are a little easier to stomach, and probably where I'll go.

CBRE

by CBRE

UpFromOne wrote:Black Prince pads for carbon rims seem to improve alot of these brakes.

Im getting alot of squel with these pads although they do work well with the new Gravitas.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I wanted smart system wheels and my GSL brakes wouldn't work with em so EEs it was.. I wasn't sold on the look until I got a pair.. Hands down the nicest brakes monies can buy.
Who needs a pair of $600 brakes? Anyone who doesn't already have a pair :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

I found the Planet-X to be a bit of a compromise- quite difficult to keep centred and the stopping power wasn't fantastic (with Swisstop green). Light and cheap, though.