Mavic R-Sys wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

Hi
Looking to buy some Mavic R-Sys wheels second hand, but have been advised that there were problems with them when they were first released. Does anyone have any info on years of manufacture / models and which ones to buy / avoid?

Cheers
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10

Phill P

by Phill P

avoid all of them.

Note they were once all the craze with the OEMs because they could build lightweight bikes due to the wheel rates, and Mavic probably gave them super super pricing.

Now you only see them on ebay.

The engineering principles of the RSYS wheels are not very solid, hence the wheels proved to not be very solid and they had some failures that Mavic refused to admit were design floors, but then made changes to try and prevent. A bad design is still a bad design.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The problems only occurred on the front wheel. Mavic replaced the spokes on these on most wheels. I believe you tell if spokes have been replaced by looking at the two dashes that are on the spoke near the nipple.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

More like silver rings on the actual spoke near the nipple. Do no think about any wheelset unless they have the upgrade. They do look cool however the above post notes the challenges with the wheels.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47622950 ... =1&pid=1.7"
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

Good info, thanks folks.

A friend uses 2011 R-sys wheels, does a lot of miles and has had no problems with them, he's 90kg. I guess they were built after the spoke problem happened. Will keep an eye open. Someone also mentioned to me that the earlier ones have silver rims and the later are black. I think the spoke rings as described here are a more reliable source of safety.
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10

airwise

by airwise

Do ignore the tales of woe. There were some problems with the very first batch and only one reported failure that I know of.

Since then they have become remarkably popular and are superb for use in the mountains. Used by Protour teams to win Grand Tours, I think some of the ridiculous bashing you see on this forum really is clueless. :x

You won't find another stiff and lightweight alloy clincher to compare.

eric

by eric

Even when they are not exploding, the Mavics have proprietary spokes and poor aerodynamics. You can get lighter more aero clinchers that use normal spokes for a lower price than the Mavics.

airwise

by airwise

eric wrote: You can get lighter more aero clinchers that use normal spokes for a lower price than the Mavics.

Where?

Out of interest, Corima did some tests regarding aero and the benefits of - comparing their Aero + rim with a 32mm alternative. Basically. If you are climbing at a vam of less than 1000, go for the weight saving :wink:

Omiar

by Omiar

Whenever there's a question about Ksyriums or R-Sys wheels, someone comes and tells that they have poor aerodynamics. That actually sums up the quality of the information you get from here. So it's always better to ask someone who has direct experience.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have direct experience.....they are terrible and do not hold speed at all (as aero as a St. Bernard). I have multiple friends who have experienced broken spokes and month long waits for replacement. Spend the $$ at Fairwheel for a nice set of light, aero handbuilts. You can thank me later for the saved headaches.

airwise

by airwise

btompkins0112 wrote: Spend the $$ at Fairwheel for a nice set of light, aero handbuilts.

Like what?

I'm guessing Pete isn't American - hence he is not so biased against such superb wheels. Sorry to be so blunt but it primarily seems to be Americans who are so negative about these and Ksyriums. I'm guessing the exchange rate doesn't do you any favours - but that doesn't make them bad wheels.

Meanwhile, we backward Europeans continue to use them in races, climbing real mountains, and bizarrely continue to overtake many a weenie on 50mm carbon rims....

You will not find a STIFF, 1300g, Alloy clincher that approaches the R Sys. I certainly haven't and it's not for want of trying.

davidalone

by davidalone

used them as my race wheel in a 3 day tour last year. borrowed from m sponsor store. they were the first generation ones (before the upgrade.)

have to say they are REALLY stiff. without doubt the stiffest wheel I've ever had. acceleration on them is instant. they are so stiff that when I first put them on my bike I found them unusual. but it's a good thing. they feel very direct, and climbing in them is a hoot.

during the tour I was involved in a 30-bike pileup. someone smacked into me from behind, my bike took a nice carthweel, destroyed my handlebar. two people landed on my bike and I blieve one person rode ovcer my bike as well. the R sys wheel was fine. I rode it for a cople more kilometers and only stopped whe i reliased it wold be pointless to contine.
on closer inspection one or two of the carbon spokes had a crack and had to be replaced.

I think it's a good wheel, but don't count on it as your daily ride wheel becasue of the propietary parts and all which make it ifficult to find replacements should you need them. truing those carbon spokes also does take some speciliased knowledge. so, if you're willing to live with the higher upkeep and possible inconvenience for a great climbing weel, go ahead.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I have the Cosmic SLE 2013 with the exiliath "2" which addresses all previous problems. as yet im to find anyone with a problem with the updates.

previous ones id be extremely wary of. that said with the updates they are some of the best wheels on the market.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

airwise wrote: I think some of the ridiculous bashing you see on this forum really is clueless.

It is de rigueur to slate Movic on here.

In the meantime, I have been nothing but impressed by them. Got to ride the R Sys SLR extensively. If I had the money I would have a set.

Unfortunately they are pricey in Australia (like a lot of bike stuff). But price aside, there is a lot to like about them.

Oh and I've not heard of any more issue like the first generation had. But lets not let truth get in the way of a good story, right...

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I actually own a set so my experience is much better than assumptions.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com