GIRO EMPIRE - Review (mini)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvincere

by dvincere

I've definitely ridden cooler shoes. We've only maxed at ~18C locally and when I take them off they are a bit sweaty. People whom sweat a lot may need to look for another shoe for their hot summer rides. Personally, I feel I will be fine with them throughout the summer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

giant man

by giant man

Due to distributor changes, they're not being brought into the UK now. Aaarrrrggghhhh!!! So my order from January has been cancelled, just ridiculous ... you US customers are very lucky.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Have someone buy a pair and mail them to you.

giant man

by giant man

such as who? anyone over there in US want to do such a nice thing for a disappointed but very keen Brit? I have Paypal .....

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I'd be happy to, where did you order them from?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'd be happy to as well. I'm actually heading into Western Bikeworks tomorrow and could pick up a pair. That saves one round of sales tax and shipping.

giant man

by giant man

But do they have a pair of the LE Electric Blue ones in a 45?

I would be very happy if I could get a pair of these, thanks

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Looks like the electric blue sold out yesterday.

giant man

by giant man

yes but I've emailed and waiting for an answer. If they can get another pair in stock, I will be taking up your kind offer, thanks

Seaholm

by Seaholm

If I'm happy with a pair of S-Works road shoes in 42, will I be happy with a pair of Giro Empire in 42 aswell?

Are Specialized and Giro shoes about the same when it comes to sizing?

headwind816

by headwind816

@Seaholm - I am not this will completely answer you question, but it will hopefully motivate you to seek out more answers before making your purchase. I ride Specialized Pro shoes size 45 before Specialized offered three widths (i.e., when the toe box was roomier without being a true wide). I tried on a pair of Empires, and I found size 46 to be ideal. I did not purchase because I am not sure if the toe box will conform to my feet; as they were, I was against the wall not in an uncomfortable manner but enough to make me hesitate.

VMac

by VMac

Not doubting you headwind, but that is completely different from my experience. My (pre-width) S-Works are virtually identical to my Giro Empires (both 44). If anything, the Giros are just a hair longer (though that is probably more the toe box being slightly roomier in the Giros). I have narrow-ish feet, so perhaps that accounts for our difference... though it is baffling to me that you would go up a size in Giro and still be "against the wall". I wonder if the box was mis-marked of the size you tried on.

headwind816

by headwind816

@Vmac - I should clarify in that I had room length-wise, but my sides of the feet were pressed against the insides of the shoes. Again, I was not uncomfortable, and the sides did stretch, but I was wary due to an injury sustained due to a too narrow shoe (I was incorrect in believing the shoe would stretch out enough - my fault).

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Ironically this is actually what got me to order a pair of these over the Factor's as an alternative pair to my Prolights. Living in a very northern state that gets stupid cold during the winter and is only really warm for ~3month's or so I actually wanted a pair of shoes with a closed toe *no toe mesh/cut outs etc...*. The Empire's are perfect in this regard since I always seem to get cold toes riding, overly sweaty isn't an issue ever really.

Also, really excited to try these out as I see some awesome possibilities with the laces opposed to straps etc.. I'm a fairly frequent runner that always messes around with alternative lacing on my shoes to get them tight/loose where I want so this appeals to me a bunch.

Anyone tried different lacing methods/styles with these so far? Only thing I have seen is Phinney's over/under the sole thing

dvincere wrote:I've definitely ridden cooler shoes. We've only maxed at ~18C locally and when I take them off they are a bit sweaty. People whom sweat a lot may need to look for another shoe for their hot summer rides. Personally, I feel I will be fine with them throughout the summer.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My back-ordered/sold-out shoes magically arrived yesterday... #267 of 400. I have to admit, they are VERY comfortable on the feet (former S-works, now Sidi wire wearer). They are also stupid-light! I haven't installed cleats or ridden in them. I put them on and stood around on the carpeted floor just to get a feel for them. I like them... a lot!

I found the S-works shoes were a touch too narrow for my forefoot, but gripped my heel well. The Sidi wires have a perfect toe box but feel a little looser in the heel (fortunately adjustable). The Empires seem to be the best of both worlds... comfy forefoot and a snug heel. I need to ride them...