Saddle Suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rijndael

by rijndael

I'm currently riding a Prolog Kappa Pas. I'd like to find a saddle that's more comfortable and a lot lighter.

I'd like something with more of a cutout, similar to a Romin Evo, but I also want more of a defined area/ledge on the seat to back in to - the sweet spot. In the Kappa Pas, I have a wide range of seat area that feels OK, but that sweet spot isn't so easy to locate after getting out of the saddle. Does that make sense?

Does anyone have a recommendation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

I am in the same situation and would love to hear some suggestions, too. Have been looking at the SMP Dynamic but not convinced it looks very good on the bike.

by 113245

Why not just try it and disregard how it looks on the bike... IMO theres a very stupid obsession over bike aesthetics, and its especially stupid when its in regards to the most important body-bike contact point.

To OP: I have a similar situation, I used to ride a Kappa Pas which I liked a lot but had some issues finding that sweet spot you're referring to. I'm trying a Fizik Antares right now and it's quite supportive at the back (flat and wide-ish for a good sit-bone ledge) but I really miss the Kappa's cutout. If you look over at my thread some people put down some good suggestions for saddles that are like the antares but with a real cutout, not that Versus crap. Might work for you too.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112872

rijndael

by rijndael

113245 wrote:If you look over at my thread some people put down some good suggestions for saddles that are like the antares but with a real cutout, not that Versus crap. Might work for you too.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112872

Thanks. That was a lot of help. Shame on me for not searching more thoroughly.

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

Using a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow. Flow meaning the one with the cut out. I also have the XC version on my mountain bike. The Road version is 115g and the XC version is about 165/170g. I get on well with both. Previously had Fizik and not liked them too much. Its a very personal thing! :shock:
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10

airwise

by airwise

The only saddles I can think of with a more pronounced rise at the rear than the Romins are the SMP's.

I went from a Toupe to Romin for exactly the reason you cite and I've never looked back - although I prefer the Romin to the Evo.

Rascal

by Rascal

San Marco Aspide FX does it for me. I run this saddle on all bikes. You can pick your price point and features/weight; all use the same basic shape.
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

dvincere

by dvincere

I had very similar demands as OP. I settled on a San Marco as well. My choice was the Selle San Marco Mantra Carbon FX. Beautiful saddle in so many ways. The huge cutout does me big favors when I'm spending a lot of time in the drops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com