Colnago Master 30th AD10

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Hello all,

I decided it finally and ordered end of march my Colnago Master 30th Anniversary on AD10.

I decided to go with Mike at Maestro and he will set me up with a threaded fork so I will build it using a Cinelli 1A Quill Stem and Giro D'Italia Bars.

I have a full Silver Centaur 10 UT/US groupset for this build plus a set of Chorus/Blue OP wheels, and a set of Record 9Sp hubs laced to GP4s...

Alternatively I have a full NOS 2009 Record 11 group in its boxes that I could also use for a more modern look.

The waiting time is some 10-12 weeks, I will keep you updated in this thread, and the evolution of the build
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

the Centaur parts were NOS and all brand new, I built them temporarily on this Colnago Lux Dream LX10, that looks great and rides quite well but doesn't provide the expected ride of a true steel Colnago, so they are in it waiting for the master to arrive.

The Dream is not bad, compared to other Aluminum frames, it is quite comfortable and the geometry is good, the same as all other traditional Colnagos, but indeed for longer rides you start to feel the stiffness of Aluminium it on the saddle

The goal with this Master is to have a exact duplicate of my C50 but on a full metal bike.....

DSC00163.jpg por Salsa_Lover, en Flickr
Last edited by SalsaLover on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hucken The Fard Up !

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

the parts for the Build started to arrive

- Campagnolo Record threaded headset
- Cinelli Giro d'Italia 42cm
- Cinelli 1A 120mm
- Cinelli Kaleidoscope handlebar tape
- Brooks Swift Titanium

The frame will probably arrive in another month or so.

DSC00320.jpg por Salsa_Lover, en Flickr
Last edited by SalsaLover on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hucken The Fard Up !

giant man

by giant man

AD10, the nicest colour of the 30th anni. Master imo, look forward to this build

c50jim

by c50jim

With the Brooks saddle, threaded headset and steel fork, that bike will certainly be a classic and a sweet ride. I'd go with the alloy group with that saddle and fork choice. If you went with a modern saddle and Star fork (I know Colnago doesn't sell them any more but they occasionally come up on eBay), Id go with the modern Record group. I'm not sure about the blue rims, although I know that I had them on my mid 90s Tecnos (and my son has some different blue rims on that bike now but they were all I was prepared to give him for nothing). If you wanted to go even more classic, I have alloy Record cranks in 172 or 175 and an Italian bottom bracket.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I have NOS Chorus silver cranks with a square taper BB that I could use.

I missed a deal on a full Chorus 10 in silver, but IMHO 2010 Ultra Centaur is as good as 2002 Chorus.

We'll see I will build it full silver centaur first.

I also have a tubular set, silver record 9speed era hubs on GP4s that I'll setup with Veloflex Roubaix....

For the moment just wait for Mike's email
Hucken The Fard Up !

kgt

by kgt

Not sure about the Brooks. A San Marco Regal, or Rolls, or something similar would suit better an '80s frame.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I like a lot my brooks on my steel commuter ( Conquest that is a Team Pro with springs ), and this is a Swift Titanium that is quite light.

Alternatively I would only use the white SLK that is mounted on the Dream, my @ss loves that saddle too.

the Regals, Rolls etc have never appealed to me.
Hucken The Fard Up !

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Brooks is out of place on a master, but if you have tried regal and rolls and did not like it, I won't argue over saddle choice.

eurperg

by eurperg

In addition to Regal and Rolls, there is also Concor, Turbo, Unicanitor... and many vintage Colnago branded saddles on eBay.

Just find one in any condition and get it refinished by Superbeau to match the AD10 color ;)

Brooks would be fine on a 30-60's bike

willy

by willy

This is going to be nice! Super beau did a very nice job on a selle flite for my master, if I like slr, you will like that one. AD10 is such a nice scheme, will go great with the ST01 :-)

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Looking forward to seeing this, I'm about to order a 30th Master myself just undecided on the colour.

Looks like kgt and I have the same taste in frames... I don't think I had a twin seperated at birth though?

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Well my intention is not to build a "period correct" master.

the goal is to have a high end, special steel Colnago and build it as close as possible to her sister my C50, and like so enjoy the ride characteristics of steel.

If the goal was to have a vintage bike, there are many on the net, with full vintage pantographed components and vintage saddles, that I could buy for less than the cost of the frame.

like this one for example, only 1550 EUR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colnago-Mexico- ... 7675.l2557
Hucken The Fard Up !

kgt

by kgt

You say you don't want a "period correct" master but you use vintage NOS parts? If you prefer "high-end" why don't you just use modern components?
What most of us try to say is that another saddle would better match your frame.
Brooks is a great, classic saddle but it "belongs" to another era in a way: '60s and '70s, Reynolds 531 frames etc. etc..
The Colnago master is the symbol of the "modern" italian steel bike of the '80s. Columbus tubesets, full campagnologroupsets, italian saddles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

You are probably correct, but on this matter sadly only my @ss has the final word :)

and it seems to like the SLK so probably the White SLK that is now on the dream will be the one.... I will try the Swift Titanium first though.

I did build a neo-retro bike for a nephew that was setup on Chorus 9 Speed with Racing Triple and a Brooks B17 and it looked great, here a pic with my Record/GP4 tubulars, he did get it on a set of clinchers

those wheels will go to my Master and I guess the Swift Titanium will be nice to ride.

my @ss likes a lot the Brooks conquest on my commuter, so it has already a reference about it ;)

Hucken The Fard Up !