Specialized Shiv

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TriRig

by TriRig

I just posted an article on TriRig showing off my Shiv build. I know some people aren't fans of the ultra-deep down tube, but I love this bike:

Lots of nice big images here:
http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... Shiv_Build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

That looks mad and the finish gives it a slippery look.
What saddle is that?
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

TriRig

by TriRig

It's a Dash Cycles saddle. In the picture I posted, it's a Stage.9 with integrated seatpost. I also shot the bike with the stock Shiv seatpost and a Dash Tri.7 saddle. Details are posted in the article.

odin99

by odin99

you need an ultra low stack headset dust cover to cover that headset. there's lots of carbon aftermarket ones.... or you use a cannondale super six one.

g_doraz

by g_doraz

That's a great build, but I just can't get over that deep downtube. It just looks wrong to me. The tririg components are pretty cool though....particularly the aero bars
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Why didn't you go with specialized's own crank? it's available in 165 now...
And by the way, sweeeet bike.

Edit: nope, nevermind. 167.5 is where they stop. bummer.

AGW

by AGW

Gorgeous. Incredibly detailed build. I'm looking forward to the skewer shootout, too.

Ottoturbo

by Ottoturbo

Bad ass custom Shiv. Makes the other bikes in the field look mundane.

TriRig

by TriRig

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's interesting that the more time I spend on a build, the simpler the overall bike looks. Simplicity truly is the ultimate sophistication! This bike is a true joy to ride. It's my main rig for 2013, so it'll see a lot of miles in the coming months.

@thisisatest, I went with Lightning for a couple reasons. First, as you noted, the S-Works crank doesn't come as low as 165. The Lightning does. Second, Lightning has very wide compatibility. I move that crank from bike to bike, and it works almost everywhere (except for the pesky BB86/BB90 from Trek, which won't take 30mm spindles). I also like that it comes without logos, which was a requirement for this bike. Sure, I could have removed the Specialized logos if that crank was as good. But since I built this up from a frameset, it's not as if I wasted a perfectly good crank -- I never had the S-Works crank to begin with.

@odin99, I agree that a low-stack dust cover would look good. Veloflyte was supposed to send me one, but never did. So I went 'naked' with the build for now.

I'm happy to answer any more questions you have.

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id375.html

Nick - think the enduro bb linked above would get your lightening into a trek frame.

Stuart

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

nope. treks have a 37mm bearing seat diameter, they take direct fit bearings with no plastic "cup", unlike the Giant frames n others that have the mentioned 41mm seat.
a 30mm bearing in a 37mm bore leaves 3.5mm to pack in a bearing and two races. not enough room...

istigatrice

by istigatrice

wait... so you're telling me that the Giant press-fit is indeed compatible with bb30?

...sorry for the off topic post...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com