Light weight brakes that really work!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I am using them with Archetypes without issue

rockdude

by rockdude

I have had several light brakes in the past, here is my impression on them. FYI- race and live where there are a lot of steep descents so braking power and modulation are important to me.
Ciamillo Zero- hard to setup and switch wheelset, not very good power
KCNC CB1- not a lot of power
M5 Brams- Strong power but little modulation.
EE Cycloworks- Top of the line, does everything well. I bought two pairs even though I only have one built Road bike currently.

I guess I will need to try out the Planet X brakes. They will have to be a Wet Dream to preform better than the EE's. The THM's Fibula also peak my interest but on one has responded about them.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LEC135

by LEC135

I've had EE and Far and Near and both work well. EE's are slightly better, a lot more expensive and harder to clean!

Presently on Far and Near and all good. Also the FnN breaks can accommodate wider rims whereas the older EEs can't

Dammit

by Dammit

deermatt wrote:
Dammit wrote:EE all the way

no one needs $600 dollar brakes..

True, a set of 105 brakes work very well- indeed there is probably no need for any groupset above 105.

But that's not the point, and it's not what the OP asked, and the answer to their question is "EE Cycleworks brakes" as they are designed with no compromise of function, unlike a lot of others, and are extremely light.

I've had a set of 1st gen, and am currently running some 2nd gen's, with 7970 levers, powercordz on 404 firecrest tubs.

Setup with that combination of parts was quick and easy and they work perfectly.

I got both of my pairs second hand - sold the first pair for exactly what I bought them for, also.

izza

by izza

juanacity wrote:Another vote for Planet X. A little fiddly to set up, but manageable and work really well once you get them adjusted. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience with them on any of the new wider wheels.

I have the Planet X brakes and think they are great.

I recently paired them up with some Enve's 6.7's. Swithcing pads out was a two second job, altering the spacing was easy and they remain one of my best upgrades. In terms of taking thew wheels out of the forks/hangers, it is actually easier now as I don't need to unclamp the wire as the wide setting gives clearance past the tyre.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I am using the Planet X brakes right now on my Archetypes and have used them on my Stinger 6s without issue as well. When I first purchased the brakes I but them on the "B" bike just in case their performance wasn't that great. I've just swapped my new Red brakes in favor of them on the Cento. I'm not saying they perform BETTER than new red - but they perform a lot better than Shimano brakes I've used and the weight savings is welcome.

mythical

by mythical

To me there's only one definitive answer to this description:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/ee-cycleworks-brakeset-p-1048.html
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Another vote for the EEbrakes. They are so well designed, so well made.
Side note: I wonder if he's gonna do a direct mount version now?

thprice

by thprice

Tried Planet-X but a PITA to keep centered and did not suit me on long steep descents.
Went to KCMC C7 (dual pivot) brakes, much better, not going back to single pivot
EE are highly regarded brakes, would have gone with them but $$$ ouch.

GASer

by GASer

I am using Ciamillo Negative Gravity SL. Initial alignment was a bit difficult but now work well. No actual performance difference from Campagnolo Record apart from being light and beautiful to watch on this ano red color.

Good stoping power and modulation on general. Have noticed difference in performance when used with Swiss stop yellows on carbon rims and campy blacks on Fulcrum Racing Zeros. Do better on the first combination.

If it wasnt for the looks, weight and being different from the bunch, i would keep my Record brakes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

pawnii

by pawnii

I hope the Gravitas brakes are not as bad as everyone here makes them out to be....mine just came in the mail.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Vuong05

by Vuong05

I have the EE and THM Fibula brakes on that list. The EE are the best lightweight brakes I've ever tried in terms of modulation and power. Simply put, they are the best lightweight brakes for any situation where brakes are critical to your safety. Their only drawback is that they are not the absolute lightest brakes and cost more than most. The THM Fibula are equal in braking power to the EE, but modulation is slightly lower. Weight is obviously lower, but they cost twice as much. The THM's are a masterpiece in aesthetic and finish, while the EE may not be everyone's taste.

My typical ride involves a very long climb followed by a very steep descent (we hit 85+ km/h easily). I wouldn't use any brake that I didn't have confidence in. The EE brakes handle the descent without a sweat, so do the Fibula brakes. All said and done, I went with the lighter brakeset as they perform up to my standards. For a reference, I've used dura ace 7900 and Sram Red brakes for along time. I would say that both the EE and THM perform very similar to the Dura Ace 7900, just being significantly lighter.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Cni2i

by Cni2i

Yet another vote for EE brakes. I have two sets. Have used Feather, Red 2011 and 2013, and Dura Ace 7900.

DA have superb braking. Also very reliable and consistent. But too heavy...weight weenie criteria of course.

RED brakes also perform well, but just not quite as well as DA IMO. Not uber light either.

Feather brakes are very light. Looks cool. But just don't give u that confidence when braking hard and suddenly. Modulation is only okay.

EE brakes have the best of everything IMO, except price of course. Fantastic stopping power with great modulation and feel. Very consistent braking as well. Very light. Looks awesome...although I realize their looks are polarizing.

a67b

by a67b

i use since with success 2009 Ax Lightness Orion and Ax 3000.
it hard to mount but the power it's enought.
:beerchug:

motorthings

by motorthings

EE win for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com