Recommend a carbon frame under £2300

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

As it says in the thread title - recommend a carbon frame under £2300. It will be used for road racing and sportives abroad, such as the Tour of Flanders sportive. Specified around £2300 since it will be ridden in all weathers in situations were crashing is a reality and I don't want to be crying over a very expensive frame. Am I asking too much to expect a frame under 1kg at that price point? Thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Given a budget of £2300 for a frame (and that is a lot by the way), I would be sure to ask about the overall budget for the build, so that you spend the right amount on frame, group set, wheels and finishing kit. A good balance is critical for both performance and riding experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Curious why you would be going with carbon if this is a travel bike. Aluminum gives more peace of mind for stuffing into a travel case and letting bang around on a plane/train. Canyon ultimate alu with di2?

deltree

by deltree

Rider size/weight? Thinking Ti would be the best bet.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Spending £2300 on a frame to be ridden in all weathers with travel and the risk of crashing and you 'don't want to be crying over an expensive frame'. Are you sure that you don't mean £2300 for the full bike? There's a lot of options for a bike with a middle of the road groupset at that price point, perfect for travelling.

Re: the other posters, why are aluminium and titanium the better options. At least if the frame gets damaged, in most cases carbon fibre is repairable.

rhyslewisdavies

by rhyslewisdavies

no brainer - canyon ultimate cf slx - about £1750.

however if youre a racer, send them a copy and the frame comes down to £1450 i think - ive got the aluminium bike and its incredible so i can only imagine how good the ultimate cf slx is - 790g too apparently.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

madone 5 series frameset £2000
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

liam7020

by liam7020

[quote="rhyslewisdavies"]no brainer - canyon ultimate cf slx - about £1750.

however if youre a racer, send them a copy and the frame comes down to £1450 i think - ive got the aluminium bike and its incredible so i can only imagine how good the ultimate cf slx is - 790g too apparently.[/quote

Yeah the Canyon is high on my hit-list. Can you explain a bit more about the racer reduction? Do you mean send a copy of your race licence? Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

mr_tim

by mr_tim

here you go

http://www.canyon.com/_en/service/sponsoring.html

I'd also look at Ridley. They are on sale all over the place. If your liking flanders, you fit in at least ;) But seriously, they are a nice racy ride. You can get a ultegra equipped bike for your budget & sell the drivetrain kit etc - you'll end up with plenty of cash left over.

Would I be right to guess your budget is the amount you're expecting to sell the Colnago M10 for? Its a odd figure to pull out the air :)

If you really don't like the Colnago that much, I would recommend test riding out quite a few different bikes for a reasonable distance to see / feel & get a good understanding on the different riding traits that you are looking for. If you don't like the ride the M10 offers, you probably are looking for a specific trait that the M10 has looked to avoid.

As another suggestion how about a 2012 695 (if you look around). Not particularly knock proof though.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

+1 for Canyon

eric

by eric

FM066SL. $750 including frame fork and post. My 56cm weighed 910g with hanger.

giro di lento

by giro di lento

The NeilPryde Alize is £1899 for an aero frame weighing under 1kg for a 56cm.

I've put nearly 4,000km on mine and still look forward to each ride - fast and comfortable. For the sake of transparency I did work with NeilPryde in the UK for a while but finished this time last year and kept my Alize.

My bike's the one in this review: http://road.cc/content/review/35445-neilpryde-alize

Here's a link: http://www.neilprydebikes.com/bikes/alize/overview.html

Have fun choosing your winner.

GdL
My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/

Leviathan

by Leviathan

there are, literally, thousands of sub 1kg frames at that price point. Unless you give us a bit more information this is going to end up as a "I like purple, so purple is the solution to your problem" useless postfest. your Weight, geometry, cat 1 or cat 5, "Sportives" is a pretty broad church. If breaking it is important to you Id go with those who have a replacement program or go talk to a dealer whos open to that option (some are)..

If I were you, Id buy a Mekk. Not that I think its appreciably better than anything else out there, I just like to say the word Mekk. Mekk, mekk, mekk.

rhyslewisdavies

by rhyslewisdavies

sorry yeah i meant send them a copy of your race licence - go on their site and look for the sponsorship option.

crash replacement prices are excellent too.

apparently theres an open day this coming monday at their london base where you can test ride their models

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Leviathan wrote: Mekk. Mekk, mekk, mekk.

:mrgreen: it would grow on you for sure..