Shimano Ultegra 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

Epic-o wrote:You won't get buckling in BB spindles. Axial loads are negligible
Twist a tube enough and it'll buckle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Liggero wrote:Stuff....
It just means that shimano have prioritised different criteria to everyone else. Maybe compatibility with BS standard shells and bearings of XX size is more important to them than some "other" criteria, like using aluminium axles for instance. Or tiny bearings.

And FWIW, its absolutely nothing to do with manufacturing complexity for third party manufacturers, its shimano ploughing their own furrow, and letting everyone else either follow, or not. They've only been doing that for, um, 30 years? They are still the biggest and most profitable company in cycling, so they can do what they want.

And those hollow chain rings? They last for ages and cost next to nothing to produce. Most of the cost is mark up/profit.

bluesea

by bluesea

mattr wrote:
Epic-o wrote:You won't get buckling in BB spindles. Axial loads are negligible
Twist a tube enough and it'll buckle.

Twist = torsion = shear not buckling.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Well that ought to save be a bundle of money on my next bike. Well, that really depends on the color here. If it's that half-assed grey like the previous Ultegra, I'mma avoid it like the plague. If it's black, I'm all over that shit.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

mattr wrote:
And those hollow chain rings? They last for ages and cost next to nothing to produce. Most of the cost is mark up/profit.

I can assure you, unless you already have the necessary infrastructure in place (aka the right machines ), those rings are not cheap to produce. Neither are they easy to produce.

If it were ... every aftermarket chainring supplier would have followed suite already.

Dennis

by Dennis

So no release date for Ultegra? I'm going to buy a new frame. I will probably use my old DA until this is released.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

It'll be the usual schedule for Shimano releases. Some will trickle out this Fall but for widespread availability through all sales channels you'll likely have to wait until Spring 2014.

mattr

by mattr

maxxevv wrote:I can assure you, unless you already have the necessary infrastructure in place (aka the right machines )
You mean like shimano have since the mid 90s? M950/M952 rings were heavily machined from plate material, it's been coming a looooooong time. (FWIW Campag record chainrings are over 100 quid, and only 10-15 quid less than the last generation D-A rings)
maxxevv wrote:If it were ... every aftermarket chainring supplier would have followed suite already.
Why? Up to now everyone has been following a chainring/crank standard that's been around since jesus was a lad. And everything has been compatible.

From a manufacturing perspective, making one astronomically expensive and relatively specialized set of tooling for the crank (instead of two, 110 and 130 BCD) and then CNCing the chainrings to make up the stiffness shortfall (which is easy and cheap to sub out to third parties) makes perfect sense.
Last edited by mattr on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

bluesea wrote:Twist = torsion = shear not buckling.
Thin walled tubes tend to buckle, its probably in the definition of a thin walled tube. Probably why shimano are sticking to a thick walled steel tube.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

still no word on availability date, or Di2, but looks like a nice upgrade from 6700.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Looks very good and I like that they've gone with a glossy metallic grey rather than that ugly flat crap in 6700. I might just have to go buy me some Shimano bits...

rmerka

by rmerka

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jamr1

by jamr1

Laurens wrote:
Guerdi wrote:

Love the wireless breaking ;-)

I would rather just get rid of the calipers and go coaster!