Scott CR1 build - seatpost/stem choice.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

DMF wrote:If you want 25mm of setback, that will rule out a lot of posts, like Thomson. And if you want to match stem and post, that also rules out all Thomson stems. This is the way to make decisions...

And if you want both -17 stem and 25mm setback post, matching combo, that rules out even more options.

Hmm. 3T seem to be a viable option

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigismond0

by sigismond0

DMF wrote:If you want 25mm of setback, that will rule out a lot of posts, like Thomson. And if you want to match stem and post, that also rules out all Thomson stems. This is the way to make decisions...

And if you want both -17 stem and 25mm setback post, matching combo, that rules out even more options.

Thomson does make a 16mm setback which ought to be fine as long as you don't already run your saddle pushed all the way back on a 25mm setback post. In any case, the OP already stated that he doesn't care form Thomson on road bikes so its a moot point.

But I agree with your general statement. If matching kit doesn't matter, then definitely go with what matches your needs exactly at the price:weight ratio that works for you.

Devon

by Devon

sigismond0 wrote:

Thomson does make a 16mm setback which ought to be fine as long as you don't already run your saddle pushed all the way back on a 25mm setback post. In any case, the OP already stated that he doesn't care form Thomson on road bikes so its a moot point.

But I agree with your general statement. If matching kit doesn't matter, then definitely go with what matches your needs exactly at the price:weight ratio that works for you.

These are valid points, and things I had not considered fully. I will do further research.

ichobi

by ichobi

3T team stealth. Carbon post and alloy stems. Great muted look. The post is gloss i believe? Should look great and the branding is very subtle.

Devon

by Devon

ichobi wrote:3T team stealth. Carbon post and alloy stems. Great muted look. The post is gloss i believe? Should look great and the branding is very subtle.

The LTD post with LTD/stealth stem and bars will look fantastic I think.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Oh that's a good point--forgot all about the stealth. Though you'll have to make sure you can find a Doric Stealth since they don't make the new posts in stealth.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Ritchey has 17° stem and 25mm setback seatposts too. And a nice range of finishing options (matte/glossy alu, weave/UD carbon) although not all combinations are available, in particular for the 17° stem. I seem to be coming back to the alu WCS line more and more, the bang-for-buck and range of choices is just right.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

check out my Scott CR1 (link on sig) with a -17 Degree Zipp Stem, perhaps that and a matching Zipp Seatpost/Bars?

Devon

by Devon

stevec1975 wrote:check out my Scott CR1 (link on sig) with a -17 Degree Zipp Stem, perhaps that and a matching Zipp Seatpost/Bars?

Zipp parts are a tad pricey but I will look into it, thanks.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Zipp Service Course SL is on a clearance sale at CRC. Stem £60, Post £67