DA 9000 or Red 22?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DA 9000 or Red 22

DA 9000 mech
31%
DA 9000 Di2
38%
Red 22 mech
21%
Red 22 Hydraulic
10%

Total votes: 143

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I have the chance to work in the bike industry and am fortunate to try different components, my money is been spent on dura-ace 9000 mechanical
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

austke

by austke

It is very personal, I have both SRAM rival and DA 9070 DI2. Like both for their own characteristics.
As has already been mentioned, SRAM is the lighter option, but I love my DI2.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

tinozee

by tinozee

DA all the way. Sram played themselves.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

The votes keep piling up for Di2, but wow... when I price out the parts, that's a $1200 price jump over what the 9000 mechanical would cost me. As much as I would love it (and I'm sure I would), I just don't think I can justify dumping that much extra into the drive train for convenience of push button shifting (and If I don't ride it, I won't miss it). SRAM hydraulic seems intriguing, but I don't want to do disc brakes, because it would be too much of a kluge on the R1 frame, and I don't want to be the guinea pig for hydraulic shifting. So I think my real decision is between 9000, or SRAM 22 mechanical.
It probably boils down to: Do I want to wait a couple of months for what will be a weight savings and maybe not the quality of shifting I'm used to on 7800? or just forget the weight savings and go with what seems to be a favorite for shifting and quality, DA 9000?
Okay, I think I'm convincing myself 9000 is the way to go. But the weight.... :frightened:

KWalker

by KWalker

Tell me why you'd trust anything first gen from Sram and I think you have your answer....
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Campagnolo Record EPS

KWalker

by KWalker

Based on working at a shop, having ridden every Sram groupset over the years, and knowing countless numbers of Sram riders unless they have magically fixed their durability issues overnight I would never, ever ride a 1st gen Sram product, especially a hydraulic one considering that I'm not a fan of any of Avid's offerings. Maybe 2nd gen or later once kinks are worked out.

I'm sure I could ride any top tier groupset just fine if I got it for the right price. If I got a Red 22 group for dirt cheap I would definitely ride it. I just happen to have had much better luck and experience with Shimano products and do not see how Sram would change their operating practices enough to give me full confidence in a brand new offering.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Have to agree with Kwalker on this, no matter how rich I was I would still be choosing mechanical DA
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

And the winner is...
DA 9000 mech.

Here's where it's at:
2011 Addict R1 Frame and fork (I know and love the Addict frame and I currently ride a 2008 R2)
DA 9000 drive train
Ritchey SuperLogic Seatpost
Ritchey SuperLogic EvoCurve bars 42mm
Ritchey WCS C260 Wet Black Stem 120mm
Fizik Aliante Carbon saddle

Odds and ends...
Soul Kozak headset spacers
KCNC seat clamp
Crane Creek 110 Zero Stack headset
Jagwire Carbon Silver Racer cables
I've been using Speedplay X1s for years, but I picked up some Time Xpresso 12s, and plan on giving those a try.

Wheels...
I'm a clincher guy (I know, I've used tubbies for racing, and don't want to get into that debate. They are better, but I ride clinchers), so I'm really interested in the new carbon 38mm 1260g from FarSports.

How do I look?

roadytracky

by roadytracky

I ride Red 2012. Will be switching back to DA asap. Red is just not as refined and easy to use as. DA. Listen to VNTech as far as eta for Red22 goes.

Camilo

by Camilo

rowdysluggins wrote:I just picked up a spanking new Scott Addict R1 frame and I'm not sure what to hang on it.
I had originally planned to put DA 9000 on it, but then, before I ordered, I see SRAM has come out with Red 22.
That's making me rethink my original plan. I've always been a DA guy, but since I'm also a WW, I really like the idea of dropping weight.
I like the gearing options of DA 11 (probably 52/36 and 11/25), and was ready to go with that when... RED 22 arrives. Okay, less weight, I'm already losing compatibility on a lot of wheels (going to 11). Maybe it's time to do something new? What do you think.

You know, if was me, I'd simply try something new. If I were a "DA Guy", I'd just buy either the Di2 or one of the Srams. I mean, why not? I really, really doubt you'd actually be unhappy with any of the options, and isn't life about trying new stuff if you can afford it?

I'd like to here a reason why not?

Ufgators

by Ufgators

Over 10000 miles on old SRAM Red with the new front derailleur. Once adjusted properly I have had nothing but flawless shifting. That being said, I am not going to jump on hydraulic bandwagon with SRAM 22 as I love my EE brakes. I would go for dura ace 9000 if I had to choose between the two. I have, however campy eps on my latest bike.

thatdkid

by thatdkid

TrekUk wrote:I have the chance to work in the bike industry and am fortunate to try different components, my money is been spent on dura-ace 9000 mechanical

This says a lot. I also know a few guys that jumped on red train (because of weight and cost) and are now going back to campy and shimano.