Scott CR1 build - seatpost/stem choice.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

Hi all.

I've finally started with my CR1 build, however I'm struggling as to what kit to put
on it. As you can see, it's a fairly busy frame, and so ideally I'd like a plain build kit.
I'd love to go with k-force or similar but I think it would look at bit OTT with the
frame graphics.

Any recommendations? I want lightweight parts on par with k-force level kit.

As a side note, (the current kit shown is temporary), any ideas as to what stem I
need to achieve a horizontal angle? Current is 6deg.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

17ish degree stems come in within a couple of degrees of level as long as your HT is in the 73-74ish degree range. I'd suggest something very simple like a Thomson seatpoast, but Thomson stems aren't really WW-approved. If matching your kit matters, ENVE is an option but I don't think the matte carbon will look good against your 12k weave.

The FSA Team Issue gear would look super-sexy on that frame, but that's a couple of pegs down from K-Force. 3T is always an option, but I don't think the grey of the LTD series would go with the frame. You can go with the pro line, but that's icky alloy.

Edit: Scratch all that! The FSA SL-K line comes in white only graphics, has a sexy carbon layup, nice and shiny, nothing too brash. It's a winner on all counts. I'm a sucker for matching components, and you get handlebars and bottle cages here as well. Not to mention the option of brakes and crankset depending on your groupset. (Which should be Force, by the way. Current Force with the white graphics. Would look so hot.)

Double Edit: The picture makes it hard to tell, but if that's a grey/silver towards the head tube, then the 3T LTD line might look great as well.
Last edited by sigismond0 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

I thought SL-K was fairly heavy? I've just come across the Bontrager Race XXX series which is lightweight, and the latest seat post graphic is very minimal and smart, but the stem is vile.

Force is exactly what I was planning to get, however I do REALLY want Campag, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

The SL-K stuff comes in around 10-15g heavier than K-Force per component. Not too bad, especially considering the price hike to get to K-Force. Forgot all about Bonty, and the XXX line does look super sexy.

As for Force vs Campy, Centaur and Force come in at similar price and weight. Centaur is next-to-bottom of the line Campy and Force is next-to-top of the line for Sram, so take that however you like. Centaur is definitely an option if you really want Campy.

Edit: Man, that 12k frame looks UNBELIEVABLY good! I don't know your attitude on Chinese carbon wheels, and these may be too blingy, but Yeoleo makes rims in 12k. They've gotten good marks here on WW and I have a set coming in sometime soon.
Last edited by sigismond0 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devon

by Devon

sigismond0 wrote:The SL-K stuff comes in around 10-15g heavier than K-Force per component. Not too bad, especially considering the price hike to get to K-Force. Forgot all about Bonty, and the XXX line does look super sexy.

As for Force vs Campy, Centaur and Force come in at similar price and weight. Centaur is next-to-bottom of the line Campy and Force is next-to-top of the line for Sram, so take that however you like. Centaur is definitely an option if you really want Campy.

That's exactly my dilema! Need to put some thought into it. Also looking into the SL-K range it does look smart in black/white, I'd never seen that before. Thanks!

DMF

by DMF

So you're seriously looking at graphics before bar shape?

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

sigismond0 wrote:The SL-K stuff comes in around 10-15g heavier than K-Force per component. Not too bad...

Not sure why you would recommend SL-K if you think the Thomson X2 is too heavy. A 110mm stem from either line will run 140-145g. The Thomson would also provide the benefit of being simple and, at 10*, closer to parallel with the ground as the OP desires.

If you really want a simple look find a used alloy stem/seatpost and use acetone to remove the graphics.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

DMF wrote:So you're seriously looking at graphics before bar shape?

Why can't you look at both?

xjbaylor wrote:Not sure why you would recommend SL-K if you think the Thomson X2 is too heavy. A 110mm stem from either line will run 140-145g. The Thomson would also provide the benefit of being simple and, at 10*, closer to parallel with the ground as the OP desires.

That was an oops--I was thinking the X4 for some reason, but that's also lighter than I remember it. Also worth noting is that Thomson makes some super nice, lightweight bars as well now.

Devon

by Devon

sigismond0 wrote:
DMF wrote:So you're seriously looking at graphics before bar shape?

Why can't you look at both?

+1

Also, not a huge fan of Thompson kit on road bikes, tbh.

DMF

by DMF

So what drop shape, top shape, hood to top transistion shape, reach and drop do you want? Non of this is mentioned anywhere, and seems like some very important information when looking for a set of bars. You can't just look at the graphics and visual carbon lay up as most bars are only available in one or two shape configurations.

You can't look at both as chances are you can't have both. Unless you go custom graphics.

Devon

by Devon

DMF wrote:So what drop shape, top shape, hood to top transistion shape, reach and drop do you want? Non of this is mentioned anywhere, and seems like some very important information when looking for a set of bars. You can't just look at the graphics and visual carbon lay up as most bars are only available in one or two shape configurations.

You can't look at both as chances are you can't have both. Unless you go custom graphics.

Really not fussy about bars. I just want bog standard 44mm wide compact bars like I have currently fitted to the bike in the photo. Flat tops would be an advantage but that generally means $$$.

This post is only really about stem/post combo as I'm happy with my current bars for now, and when wrapped you can't see the graphics anyway, so matching isn't a huge issue.

DMF

by DMF

And what kind of setback do you need for the post, what sort of rails does your saddle have?

veganeric

by veganeric

Unless you specifically want logos on your stem and post, I wouldn't even consider graphics. Get whatever parts you think fit and look (shape wise) the best. If the logos match, great! If not, sandpaper and/or acetone will take care of your problem.

Devon

by Devon

DMF wrote:And what kind of setback do you need for the post, what sort of rails does your saddle have?

25 should be fine. Regular Cro-Mo rails.

veganeric wrote:Unless you specifically want logos on your stem and post, I wouldn't even consider graphics. Get whatever parts you think fit and look (shape wise) the best. If the logos match, great! If not, sandpaper and/or acetone will take care of your problem.

This is what I'm starting to think.

DMF

by DMF

If you want 25mm of setback, that will rule out a lot of posts, like Thomson. And if you want to match stem and post, that also rules out all Thomson stems. This is the way to make decisions...

And if you want both -17 stem and 25mm setback post, matching combo, that rules out even more options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com