"Incidentally, on older 188 hubs, I was putting a thin coat of fingernail polish(!) on the bearing seat areas to tighten up the fit. It works. Sucks that you had to do that, I know."
Not to hijack large here ...can you expand a bit on your process ^ please
It's not much beyond pulling the axle, cleaning it, painting a very thin coat of nail polish on the bearing seat areas of the axle, waiting for it to dry, and then greasing and reassembly. The thin coat is still thicker than it needs to be, so a little of the nail polish will scrape off when going through the bearings. Even a small plastic hammer to tap the axle through may be needed... But hey, that's the whole point of this exercise.
For nail polish choice, I went with clear for other reasons, and picked one that said, "super hard, durable coat" blah blah...
A coworker managed to get a smear of Loctite 609 or 603 in the right spot. I didn't go that route bc it just seemed trickier.