carbon toupe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

anyone here tried these before? these are probably just molded from the specialized carbon toupe.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 52602.html

i saw some threads where after ppl tuned their toupe pro, the shell's weight is around 90g.. which is similar to this one.

so i was wondering if anyone tried this one before?

by 113245

I posted in a thread a while back where someone brought up these saddles... From what I remember he did some research and the end effect was that apparently someone got ahold of the s-works toupe carbon mould and started making this knockoff version with no padding. I don't really have time to dig up where that was but it's around here somewhere.

Someone else I was PMing knew someone that had one and was quite happy with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

odin99

by odin99

interesting. i'm quite intrigued myself since the toupe fits my bum nicely. would love to hear feedback if anyone has one.

doomith

by doomith

Looks really nice!

addictR1

by addictR1

@113245: wow.. thanks for the feedback. yea i'd figure rather than going through the trouble of tuning it.. why not just buy it straight in carbon form. i also noticed they have a 2013 toupe model, which can't really tell from the photo, but looks more like the toupe pro version instead.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-spe ... 47107.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what i wonder is if there's some flex to it... and since without padding.. i wonder if my padded shorts would be enough. :)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Buy one and let us know. It's fairly cheap so doubt it would be a total waste of money

addictR1

by addictR1

well.. i would.. but base on the ass-o-meter.. i need a 155mm and they only have it for 143.

i bought the tioga twin spyder which is 143mm and after 22 miles ride.. seatbone is sore like it pinched a nerve down into my thigh. :(

yesterday i bought a new 2012 toupe pro (155mm) from Mike's bike (local LBS) but if mounted, can't return if it doesn't fit me.... so debating..

bura

by bura

I did post that link on alibaba.viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113491
Friend is riding with it and finds saddle exceptional good.
I would prefer a 130mm but Chinese brothers don't make them.
Would be then around the 80gr mark?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by 113245

Ah yes bura, I remember now that it was you.

@addictR1, I'm not entirely sure I would believe that what you linked (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-2012 ... 60424.html) is actually a 2013 toupe. I can't find any differences between what you linked and what OP linked, except for cosmetic "sworks"/"toupe" all over yours. Given the supposed stolen-mold nature of these, I doubt they got ahold of a 2013 mold and these are probably just repainted.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I would suggest you not bother. I bought one and it lasted for two rides under my 130 pounds/59kg before it cracked in the center. Also, the rails are NOT FLAT! They are curved front to back, and they are spaced too far apart. It mounted up without rocking, but some seatposts would likely have problems with it. It was comfortable, but it is poorly made. The seller ( http://www.aliexpress.com/store/109115 ) refuses to give me a refund and will not send me a new saddle until I send the broken one back, which seems like a waste of another $12.

by 113245

Interesting, that's the first first-hand report I've read of someone riding them.
I wonder if clamping rails that were too far apart had anything to do with the cracking down the middle.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I guess then you get what you pay for. $41 is pretty tempting but when you think about it, cheap doesn't always equal good.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

It didn't crack down the length of the saddle, it cracked across the saddle. One bump and I went right through it. You definitely get what you pay for, or less than you pay for in this case...

addictR1

by addictR1

oh damn..... thanks for sharing that info!

bura

by bura

Yeah, this doesn't look good.
WP, have you checked the fibers there and can you confirm if it is made out of CF or some other material?
Asking because friend is 72kg and he is riding for approx 1200kms without a single issue and is very happy with his saddle(can not move his a.. to shoot and and send me a photo)
Further I think it is good also on aliexpress to buy from a seller with much more feedback .These are not always the cheapest options and you may find some manufacturers between them who are on eBay,too.
As said in numerous posts I have bought another saddle and bottle cages from
http://flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=327&id=1157
Who are on aliexpress and eBay with very good communication. As good as farsports.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com