Motorbike crashes into cyclists

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

A Merlin and Firefly trashed

djconnel

by djconnel

The thing is when stuff like this happens, there's actually those who blame the cyclists, as you can see if you go to the youtube page and look at comments. It's something about the American motorhead culture: exposure to too many car ads in-utero.

PSM

by PSM

*f##k* idiot!!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That's what we call "target fixation"!!!

It seems like drivers are getting ramped up for the season. I had my closest incident this weekend; which involved a pickup truck nearly running a friend and I off the road (wide, open road, middle of nowhere, no traffic) then the passenger hung out the window and tried to swing at me - followed by threatening to kill me. Good times.

I'm a fool for not paying attention to his license plate number...

CBJ

by CBJ

euan wrote:A Merlin and Firefly trashed

The guy clearly do not like TI bikes.

Thirstyman

by Thirstyman

looks like he made no attempt to tighten and avoid. I agree target fixation. This guy should stop motorcycling for his good and that of everyone else.

ave

by ave

It's bad enough to watch it... :(
It's rare to see such an accident filmed in full HD with a decently operated camera.

bomber

by bomber

Had a look at the guys youtube channel and it's just video's of the same corner with motorcyclists damaging themselves and in this case others sadly! Seems ridiculously popular for celebrating others mistakes/ heartache.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Imaking20 wrote:That's what we call "target fixation"!!!

It seems like drivers are getting ramped up for the season. I had my closest incident this weekend; which involved a pickup truck nearly running a friend and I off the road (wide, open road, middle of nowhere, no traffic) then the passenger hung out the window and tried to swing at me - followed by threatening to kill me. Good times.

I'm a fool for not paying attention to his license plate number...

Is it possible to report this to authorities and have the driver punished even if there is no collisions ? I personally witnessed one incident which a driver intimidated a cyclist riding in front of me by swaying his/her car toward the cyclist direction while riding inside the shoulder. It lasted about 2-3 minutes with the driver driving side by side with the cyclist. It got too dangerous for the cyclist which he had to stop and dismount from his bike, and that was when the car ran away. I guess it started when the rider took 1 lane of the 2 lane road for faster downhill since the shoulder surface was not smooth. eg: bumpy, cracks. It was morning there is only another car.

This kind of stuff always scares me when riding in Socal mountains, which seem to be practice circuit for motorcyclist. Last year I saw motorcyclist almost caused brush fire in Palomar mountain. The guy had accident on downhill that he slide to the side of the road, then the leaked gas from his motorcycle immediately ignited dry leaves around. Fortunately, he and his friends were able to put out the fire.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

bomber wrote:Had a look at the guys youtube channel and it's just video's of the same corner with motorcyclists damaging themselves and in this case others sadly! Seems ridiculously popular for celebrating others mistakes/ heartache.

it's kind of a good thing - that cameraman being there. In the unfortunate circumstances that there are accidents in that location, there will be video proof/evidence for the victims.

Better that than being run over, the motorist fleeing, no witnesses, and laying on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception.

aerozy

by aerozy

This is just unbelievable! How on earth did the motorcyclist not see the poor fella!? He wasnt even going that fast. I cant (do not want to) believe he did it on purpose.

PS: Yeap spring seems to be "road rage season"! Drivers had it their way entire winter and are not happy to see so many cyclists out on the road. The other day I had a guy coming the opposite direction accelerate into my lane, so going in the opposite side of the road, basically threatening a head to head collision until the last second and wizzed right by me easily over 150km/h. How cowardly is that? If you have something to say to a cyclist as least have the nurve to say it in our face.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Lawsuit! Open and shut case Johnson!
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Those who suggest the motorcycles are out in stronger force because of the camera are absolutely correct. The guy behind the camera is extremely popular and locals want to get caught on video. I've gone rounds with people about this particular road and how they should take it to the track. I have an acquaintance who has totaled 2 motorcycles on that exact turn and still defends it (even after a motorcycle accident put him in a coma for months).

nfecyle wrote:Is it possible to report this to authorities and have the driver punished even if there is no collisions ? I personally witnessed one incident which a driver intimidated a cyclist riding in front of me by swaying his/her car toward the cyclist direction while riding inside the shoulder. It lasted about 2-3 minutes with the driver driving side by side with the cyclist. It got too dangerous for the cyclist which he had to stop and dismount from his bike, and that was when the car ran away. I guess it started when the rider took 1 lane of the 2 lane road for faster downhill since the shoulder surface was not smooth. eg: bumpy, cracks. It was morning there is only another car.

This kind of stuff always scares me when riding in Socal mountains, which seem to be practice circuit for motorcyclist. Last year I saw motorcyclist almost caused brush fire in Palomar mountain. The guy had accident on downhill that he slide to the side of the road, then the leaked gas from his motorcycle immediately ignited dry leaves around. Fortunately, he and his friends were able to put out the fire.

I would say yes, absolutely. I'll ask a buddy who's an officer in CA before I answer too specifically about their laws.

There is one key phrase that changes things; "I was in fear for my life." My weekend incident absolutely could have been fatal if the driver decided to swerve at me - even if the passenger had made contact with me when trying to swing at me. I believe the same "vehicular assault" type scenario applies as if car v. pedestrian. In my case, I could have pressed charges for the verbal death threats alone.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

aerozy wrote:PS: Yeap spring seems to be "road rage season"! Drivers had it their way entire winter and are not happy to see so many cyclists out on the road. The other day I had a guy coming the opposite direction accelerate into my lane, so going in the opposite side of the road, basically threatening a head to head collision until the last second and wizzed right by me easily over 150km/h. How cowardly is that? If you have something to say to a cyclist as least have the nurve to say it in our face.

Wow - I just thought that scandinavian drivers were more courteous than that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com