Cervelo S2 size 54: closest Canyon CF frameset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

Hi everybody,

I have 2 bikes, one for the good days and road races (Cervelo S2 with 404 tubs) and one for training and commuting (Caad9). They are both size 54 with a 110 stem. They have identical saddles, stems and handlebars.

The Cervelo fits me like a glove, the Caad9 feels enormous.

I think the Caad9 isn't compatible with my body (long torso, relatively short legs). I just can't put the power down. Feels like Star Trek! I'm 177cm.

I was wondering if anybody could help. What's the closest Canyon Ultimate CF match (in terms of geometry) to my S2 size 54 with 110 stem? A Canyon CF size 54 or a 52? With a 100 stem?

Thanks heaps!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

use stack and reach; and questions like this are easy:
Cervelo S2 54 - 541, 380
Canyon CF 52 - 547, 387
Canyon CF 50 - 532, 386
Cannondale 54 - 546, 383

So really, the cannondale shouldn't feel that much different, 5mm higher, 3mm longer. And the Canyon may not solve what you are looking to solve...

parajba

by parajba

Thanks for the kind reply!

I'm a bit puzzled, probably due to my lack of understanding, how can the Caad9 feel so big compared to the S2? I wish I understood how geometries really work...

GT56

by GT56

parajba wrote:Thanks for the kind reply!

I'm a bit puzzled, probably due to my lack of understanding, how can the Caad9 feel so big compared to the S2? I wish I understood how geometries really work...

the caad 9 has a practically horizontal top tube, with a bb to top of seat tube measurement of 55 cm, the cervelo's is 51 cm with quite a steep slope

what make the cannondale feel big is the higher standover height

could it be that the cannondale has this 2,5 cm top headset bearing cover and the cervelo a lower one ?

in any case the canyon has about the same degree of sloping as the cervelo, so should not feel big with comparable stack size

what are your own critical body measurement btw; overall height and inseam ?

parajba

by parajba

GT56 wrote:

the caad 9 has a practically horizontal top tube, with a bb to top of seat tube measurement of 55 cm, the cervelo's is 51 cm with quite a steep slope

could it be that the cannondale has this 2,5 cm top headset bearing cover and the cervelo a lower one ?

in any case the canyon has about the same degree of sloping as the cervelo, so should not feel big with comparable stack size

Thanks for your kind reply too.

I don't have those two measurements at hand but from memory my overall height is 177cm. Both bikes have the stem slammed, both headset covers are very tiny.

Please see below the notes from the latest bikefit assessment (1 year ago, done on the Cervelo S2, fit perfectly before the bikefit and even more perfectly after the fit! magic).

==================
Your position details are as follows: Saddle Height: 733mm, Saddle Setback 59mm, Reach to the Bars (Horizontal): 528mm, Reach to the tip of the levers: 684mm, Drop from saddle to bars: 107mm. Horizontal Reach from BB to Bars: 474mm, Vertical Stack from BB to Bars: 602mm. Cranks: 172.5mm, Bars: 40c/c (Deda Zero 100 42s), Levers: Sram Red (Old shape), Saddle: Selle Italia SLC, Pedals: Look Keo
==================

Does that mean that:

1. The Canyon Ultimate CF geometry is similar to the Cervelo S2 (old R3) geometry
2. The closest match to my Cervelo S2 is a Canyon Ultimate CF size 52?
3. The Caad9 size 54 is considerable larger then the Cervelo S2 size 54, hence the feeling of cycling on a 'massive' bike

GT56

by GT56

parajba wrote:
GT56 wrote:

Thanks for your kind reply too.

I don't have those two measurements at hand but from memory my overall height is 177cm. Both bikes have the stem slammed, both headset covers are very tiny.

Please see below the notes from the latest bikefit assessment (1 year ago, done on the Cervelo S2, fit perfectly before the bikefit and even more perfectly after the fit! magic).

==================
Your position details are as follows: Saddle Height: 733mm, Saddle Setback 59mm, Reach to the Bars (Horizontal): 528mm, Reach to the tip of the levers: 684mm, Drop from saddle to bars: 107mm. Horizontal Reach from BB to Bars: 474mm, Vertical Stack from BB to Bars: 602mm. Cranks: 172.5mm, Bars: 40c/c (Deda Zero 100 42s), Levers: Sram Red (Old shape), Saddle: Selle Italia SLC, Pedals: Look Keo
==================

Does that mean that:

1. The Canyon Ultimate CF geometry is similar to the Cervelo S2 (old R3) geometry
2. The closest match to my Cervelo S2 is a Canyon Ultimate CF size 52?
3. The Caad9 size 54 is considerable larger then the Cervelo S2 size 54, hence the feeling of cycling on a 'massive' bike

1) yes, stack height and seat tube lenght are almost identical

2) if you include seat tube height yes, if you don't they are almost identical

3) the caad's stack height is the same as the two other's it is just the seat tube being longer which makes it feel larger

when standing over the top tube there's more room to your gentle parts with the cervelo and the canyon than with the caad 9, but the handlebar on the three will have the same height

looking at your measurements 54 cervelo / cannondale and 52 canyon are 'your' frame size

parajba

by parajba

Thanks again GT56.

Unfortunately the Canyon CF 52 is out of stock at the moment...

Will give them a call!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com