Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What are the 2 most important things for you on a crank ?

-Design + stiffness
9%
-Design + weight
15%
-Design + price
5%
-Stiffness + weight
44%
-Stiffness + price
9%
-Weight + price
18%

Total votes: 159

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hi runner999,

Yep, you are correct. The std COMPACT Exogram chainrings are 128g (50T), 28g (34T) and 10g (bolts). So mine was 363g without, and found a reference where the total scale weight with the Praxis rings was 491g.

Never got round to sanding it down which apparently shaves another 8g off !!!

Anyway, back to the Ciamillo cranks - they look great, but given the Red cranks weigh less, are they stiffer ?

How does the two arm version compar in stiffness to the 3 arm version and SRAM Red ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

runner999

by runner999

I thought initially that the Ciamillo crank could raise the bar but it's looking more like an odd duck in a crowded pond without a practical advantage to set it apart. I think the design has potential with further refinements but this maybe a year or so out. I guess it will all depend on Ted and if he can get the pre-orders out into the field, catch his breath, collect data and bang away at pro/e again. But hopefully he doesn't turn the next release into another "2" ring circus.

Holiday

by Holiday

Hi Guys,

To those lucky people who already has an actual crank shipped to them, any
real world ride reports??
Still waiting for mine after full payment but nothing in sight.
NA

jmocallaghan
in the industry

by jmocallaghan

The Ciamillo cranks are worth the wait (and weight). we've (irishcycles.com) actually sold a number of them already as we're equipping our higher end bikes with the crank/brake set as OE. While we did have a few that "clicked', Ted shipped new spiders out immediately to us and we continued on with little issues. We've experienced some delays in getting our product but frankly, it's been worth it and Ted pretty much has worked the majority of small issues out of the crank.

What is interesting is placing the crank right next to a rotor and a Sram Red. It's safe to say the crank is evolutionarily different from both out there and looks (and acts) more like a rotor yet from a material prospect, is superior to the rotor in adjust ability and strength.

What set's it apart:
- adjustability to the rider; spec it as you want it in terms of length, q-factor, etc.
- weight
- arm strength under load

Bottom line: well worth it. However, like most good things, it's taking a little time to hit the streets in the numbers needed especially as he finishes last minute tweaks to make it a better product.

KWalker

by KWalker

the one person I know with these is not a particularly heavy or torquey rider and snapped the spindle on his within a week.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jmocallaghan
in the industry

by jmocallaghan

We're pretty much invested in the crank and think it is well worth it. In fact we've been talking with Ted about adapting it for use with Quarqs. You'll see something soon as we finish testing it.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

jmocallaghan wrote:The Ciamillo cranks are worth the wait (and weight). we've (irishcycles.com) actually sold a number of them already as we're equipping our higher end bikes with the crank/brake set as OE. While we did have a few that "clicked', Ted shipped new spiders out immediately to us and we continued on with little issues. We've experienced some delays in getting our product but frankly, it's been worth it and Ted pretty much has worked the majority of small issues out of the crank.

What is interesting is placing the crank right next to a rotor and a Sram Red. It's safe to say the crank is evolutionarily different from both out there and looks (and acts) more like a rotor yet from a material prospect, is superior to the rotor in adjust ability and strength.

What set's it apart:
- adjustability to the rider; spec it as you want it in terms of length, q-factor, etc.
- weight
- arm strength under load

Bottom line: well worth it. However, like most good things, it's taking a little time to hit the streets in the numbers needed especially as he finishes last minute tweaks to make it a better product.

So, if you're getting them and putting them on your high-end bikes, it's safe to say all the pre-orders have been filled?
Speedplay is the devil!

jmocallaghan
in the industry

by jmocallaghan

Over the last few months we've worked with Ted to come up with a power meter version. Right now it's in testing. The weight is 689 in a 172.5 w/a quarq power meter and rings from praxis.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

KWalker wrote:the one person I know with these is not a particularly heavy or torquey rider and snapped the spindle on his within a week.

When you say spindle I take it that you mean the axle and not the crank arm? Any further details of how it happened?

lewolive

by lewolive

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:
KWalker wrote:the one person I know with these is not a particularly heavy or torquey rider and snapped the spindle on his within a week.

When you say spindle I take it that you mean the axle and not the crank arm? Any further details of how it happened?

I believe it's not a failure because the concept of the junction of spindle and arms is avoiding any risk of the arm to be accidentaly removed from the spindle.
But there is a pin to erase the play that may happen, and it's possible that on the first pre series (pre orders) the pin has been broken.
As of today I'd say that the production is becoming very regular and it's very safe.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

How is a snap not a failure??

djconnel

by djconnel

He obviously means in the production model, as opposed to a problem with pre-production models which was subsequently fixed.

Still not clear what the weight advantage is versus the latest Red cranks....

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

To be honest I'm surprised at those new Red cranks - that's a seriously kick-ass weight. My Claviculas weigh 345g (cranks + spindle) and that's only a little lighter than the ~365 it seems the new Red cranks are!

Makes me wonder why they go to the length of making such a light crank and then putting boat anchors for chainrings on it...

djconnel

by djconnel

SRAM got bitten early over doing light rings. I loved them, as they were really light at a good price, but pro riders put out more torque than I do and they didn't like them, so SRAM went beefie.

I'm tempted to get some Praxis 36-46 "cyclocross" chainrings since I think that's a great road combo. They're light and shift well, assuming the cross rings aren't substantially heavier than the road rings. But I want to keep this thread on topic....

KWalker

by KWalker

Sorry, the cranks broke at the spider. His story was that he got up to sprint on a group ride, felt something really soft and heard a creak and pulled over where he noticed a big crack. They were on the bike for a week.

I just don't see the point of these. All the customization stuff is really unnecessary and you can get wider/narrower q factor by using different length axles, shims, washers, etc. Length is pretty easy to fix, they're not much lighter than the top end cranks yet cost almost as much. Just don't seem to have a purposeful niche in the market.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com