Seven Cycles - considering ordering one

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

photocycler

by photocycler

Considering a custom Seven Cycles frameset, deciding between the Axiom S and Resolute SLX (this is my price range).

I took an Axiom S today for a long test ride through some rough streets and was amazed how well the titanium rode (never rode titanium bike). Wasn't able to test a resolute since the dealer did not have one.

Originally, I really wanted a painted bike and enjoy my current steel (columbus zona) frame so was leaning toward the resolute (price and painted bike were the positives. Now after riding the titanium Axiom S I am considering leaning that way as everything I read says the titanium is a better riding bike and of course will hold up better with the weather here in the pacific northwest.

The ordering and interview process seems great, would love to hear some +/- on your ordering experience or riding/owning experience with Seven Cycles.

airwise

by airwise

I've owned an Axiom S (nee Alaris) for about 10 years. Also have a Sola. Great bikes. Great company. Loads of boutique alternatives but Sevens just make great all rounders.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TopQuark

by TopQuark

I am a Seven freak. Got 4 for the whole family - 2 Axiom SL's, 1 Axiom S, and 1 Elium SLX. Seven provides all the options I want - be it stiff, noodley, straight TT, sloping TT, weight weenie... name it. At the same time, precision and quality are top tier. Can't get any better. Just like sculpture art. That's the reason I got stucked with them.

You can also have the Axiom S painted. That should not be a problem.

Ordering experience is excellent. They'll make recommendations but final tweaks are yours.

jrobart

by jrobart

I have an Axiom SL and a Diamas SL. Absolutely love Seven. Process was excellent, as is the customer service after the fact (I haven't had any frame problems, but I've had a few questions here and there and they've been quite responsive). I also love the fact that the CEO of Seven works in the Ride Studio Cafe in Lexington on Sunday mornings!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

photocycler

by photocycler

Would I be crazy to consider a local powdercoater for the frame? Seven wants 700 to paint a frame, Im sure they do a great job but that price is a little overboard

TopQuark

by TopQuark

Not sure about powdercoating a Ti frame. Seven uses etch primer + primer + base coat + main coat + clear.

dgran

by dgran

I'm in the process currently. I'm getting an Axiom SLX and my wife has an Axiom SL that the has ridden for the past 10 years. They make great bikes and I haven't met anyone yet who is unhappy with what they build. I will say that if you ride an aggressive position on the bike you need to stand your ground a little with them. They are prone to advise toward more relaxed positioning. I think this serves the broad populace well (and may serve you fine) but I was a little surprised by their recommendations. In the end they collaborate on the final product well though.

As for steel or Ti, I would go with the Ti Axiom S instead.

vtrich

by vtrich

Like others, I bought a Seven Alta about 10 years ago. It varies from the Axiom only slightly in that is has
triple butted tubes, making it a bit lighter and a bit, ummm, less stiff. They are great bikes and although
I have a newer, much lighter Guru, I still ride the Seven regularly and really appreciate the wonderfully
comfortable ride. I highly recommend the bikes and the company.

Oh,...and mine is only partially painted. I had them paint the fork and rear triangle the same color.
People seem to like it,...I definately do. I think that was around $300 extra and after lots of miles and
quite a few trips later, it still looks nearly brand new!

photocycler

by photocycler

I'm really torn, I was hoping for a painted frame - would love to get some real world comparison between the steel resolute and the ti axiom s

photocycler

by photocycler

After owning a few carbon bikes and some lower end steel bikes I'm ready to go custom. I have decided to go with Seven cycles and am now debating between models.

I am told that they can design a frame that will fit all of my requirements in terms of fit and ride quality. I keep hearing on the web and from people it won't matter between choosing Ti and steel other than weight that they design around the qualities im looking for.

When spend so much on a frame, I want to make sure i make the right choice and get the ride, fit and look bike I want exactly. I added a couple pros between both materials from what I have seen in my research. Would love to hear anyone who was in a similar situation or has experience with both type material s Ti and High end steel custom bikes.

Steel Pros:
- I like the idea of a painted frame
- Cost is significantly more for the Ti

Ti Pros:
- Durability in wet weather
- Weight

deermatt

by deermatt

I had a custom steel frame made about 2 years ago. Although I ended up selling it, there are new steel tubes that are stiff, yet very light.

mattr

by mattr

In real terms, a well finished/specced/looked after steel frame will be just as durable as a Ti.
Just heavier.

(You'd have to be riding serious miles to see a difference, several hundred thousand......... Or regularly leaving it soaking in salt water)

My 15 year old steel race bike, but for the stone chips, could probably pass for new.

dgran

by dgran

I don't think you will regret it, but Titanium does have a sort of luster to it that is hard to deny. I'm in the process now of building up a custom Ti bike with Seven. I love the finishing work they do and like the aesthetics of the naked Titanium. The ride is very similar from what I'm told so it comes down to what you like but the only people I've met who regret anything about their Seven is if they didn't ride it enough to justify the project expense. They don't make a bad bike.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I got a custom frame from Strong Frames out Bozeman, and I will never ride steel or carbon again. The ride quality is absolutely exceptional. Super supple and predictable.

Ti is in a league of its own.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com