Speedplay SYZR

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

Anyone heard anything about these recently? All seems to have gone a bit quiet. UK importer thinks they'll be launched this year but don't know, and Speedplay seem to delete any posts to their FB page asking about the SYZR...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

I have no clue, but considering speedplay frog is the best pedal ever created, for mtb or road, having a new pedal with a spd system is quite a low down. Why are you interested in them? Get a proper xpedo titanium or similar.
Happy Trails !!!

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

Why are you interested in them? Get a proper xpedo titanium or similar.

Like the float of my existing Time ATACs too much to switch to a Shimano-alike system, but don't like the way the retention bars wear grooves in the soles of my shoes.

Liggero

by Liggero

why not speedplay frogs or vp bebops?¿?¿?¿
Happy Trails !!!

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

why not speedplay frogs or vp bebops?

The obvious answer to that is, because I like the look of the SYZRs :-P

mattr

by mattr

ratherbeintobago wrote: but don't like the way the retention bars wear grooves in the soles of my shoes.
get some of the crank bros anti wear plates

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

Yes, tried that. Because the cleats are a slightly different shape from the CB ones they don't sit completely flat, but it's a bodge that will do for the time being.

Notwithstanding the above, I'm still keen to hear any news re: the SYZRs.

Liggero

by Liggero

ratherbeintobago wrote:
why not speedplay frogs or vp bebops?

The obvious answer to that is, because I like the look of the SYZRs :-P

Well, if that is the reason, there is nothing else to add. At least nothing politically correct... :D

Good luck!! Hope these pedals with spring that is so bad for the knees are released soon, so all the people who prefer form over function can have them and all the people with common sense will see how the frog pedals are taken out of market. Thank you so much.
Happy Trails !!!

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

Hope these pedals with spring that is so bad for the knees are released soon

Now there's an interesting statement. Can you point me in the direction of some references for this?

Liggero

by Liggero

Sorry, lately I have no references for the obvious. Please excuse me. You will have to read my words and use your brain to produce your own reference;

As a speedplay frog user, I can tell you that the only component I would never change in my mtb are the frog pedals, which are working perfectly since I bought them in 1999. I wasted a couple cleats set and that's it. The great thing about them is not the play they have for your knees, the best is having no spring tension. They owrk as having 0.00 tension for clipping in and out, but then, they never un-clip if you don't want too, for unclipping you must twist your feet, otherwise it won't unclip. They are amazing. First day they suck, then you will love them for the rest of your life.

The only downside is that, if you have frog cleats, you can not ride your buddies bikes cause they will be using spd pedals. Also, frog cleats are not cheap like the 10€ spd sets, they cost about 35€ the set. But, they are stainless steel, and all the parts of the pedals are stainless steel or titanium, unlike spd crap that get rusted.

Speedplay frog users love their pedals. Once you try them, there's no way back. New speedplay syzr are like a mtb zero pedals, so you can perfectly adjust the play, but they have a spring and that means spring tension to the knee. No good if you can avoid it.
Happy Trails !!!

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

I was under the impression that the difference between the SYZR and other SPD systems was that the SYZR float is completely free (ie. no spring centring, which, I suppose, could be bad for your knees); there is only a release spring.

Is this incorrect?

mattr

by mattr

Liggero wrote:but they have a spring and that means spring tension to the knee. No good if you can avoid it.
Most pedals now have a few (3-5 degrees maybe) completely free float, which is only restricted by dirt and friction between the cleat and the retention mechanism. And, with atacs, once you get past the free motion the initial couple of degrees the extra load is almost zero i.e. not much more than the drag caused by friction between the cleat/sole/retention mechanism. So going on 10 degrees with only friction to deal with, no spring tension, do you really waggle your feet around that much? (and you still have drag with the frogs as well....)

My knees are knackered (from an accident), and i have a lot of rotation when i pedal and with time (ATAC on the MTB and RX/Impact on the road bike) i have no issues.

Maybe you just need to set your cleats up properly.

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

I think this is all getting a bit off topic...

Colin

by Colin

Liggero wrote:Speedplay frog users love their pedals. Once you try them, there's no way back.

I hated mine. Had them for ~2 seasons and sold them for XTR's. Everything about them just felt awkward, clipping in, clipping out, the float.. and I never really got used to them. They did shed mud alright, but then the cleats would jam up with mud if you had to walk at all. They weren't terrible pedals, just not for me! But they were super light. My titanium one's came in around 200g IIRC!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com