FILLING GAP BETWEEN RIM AND TUBULAR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kavitator

by kavitator

I saw some time ago - pro mechanic put some stuff to fill gap between rim and tire. It was like silicone or glue or something. Anyone have idea what stuff is that.

thx

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Was it a new Mavic wheel? I think they came up with some little strip that would fill that space in the seemingly endless quest for more areoness. That's the only thing I can think of. Seems kinda silly to me.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

It was some years ago - video how they prepair TT bike. Same function as mavics strip. I want to do it on front wheel for TT races and wich will be the best to fill gap and not to destroy tubular (or even rim carbone)

ras11

by ras11

Silicone RTV works from the hardware store will work. Use some electrical tape to cover the rim breaking surface. Use a sharp edge, not your finger, to doctor the silicone.

That said, the leading surface seems to be more important to drag than the gap. Look at the mavic cx80 w and without the strip, or the bontrager r3 vs r4 tires. They are very marginal improvements, mostly at higher yaws. Doubt this would translate to real speed. I would only do it on the front wheel.
:-) Toys-R-Us

kavitator

by kavitator

thx!

in mission to get the most from front wheel it is worth to do it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

is it UCI legal to fill gap?