Mapei Colnago CT-1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ethnik

by ethnik

Beauty! I used to have that frame and foolishly parted ways with it during some hard times while in school. Enjoy the build process!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

okay so I have a preliminary picture of the bike built up. I decided to go with a somewhat retro-modern cross style for the bike and kit'd it out with Ultegra di2.

Still need to change up the rings and debadge the new front zipp 808 (its a new crash replacement). I really like the way it turned out though, cant wait to try and ride it tomorrow!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

I totally dig it. Others may disagree with the parts choice, but it totally looks the business. That being said, I'd probably go with a black chainring (fiberlyte TT ring?) and totally desticker the wheels. Cool build.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Nice! congratulations on your Colnago.

now go to prendas.co.uk and buy the full Mapei Kit :)

That looks like a Veloce Bottom Bracket
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

kgt wrote:Not nice...

Opps I just saw the final build, and have to agree.

Those parts would be perfect fit for many other frames, not so for a titanium Mapei
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I understand the dislikes; it was a hard decision trying to decide what to put on it, however when I decided that I would be racing this bike I had to go with the Di2. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that this was the right way to build it up. Back when these bikes were new they were generally built up with Dura-Ace 7700 as seen on page one of this thread and so I saw this as a modern re imagining of that style. I think that if Mapei was still racing they would have their bikes setup in a similar way. I still wonder if I should have done Campy but I'll save that for a "more classic" colnago (It'll probably happen really soon, Im already browsing eBay haha). I hope that I can change your guys minds when I post some more pictures of the build and custom internal di2 routing!

Rings still def need changed, agree on that but I cant decide if I should do some praxis classic rings or some aero fibrelytes.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Can't say I like it either. That has nothing to do with the Di2 kit by the way, which I think looks quite nice. The wheels and the SRAM aero ring are just plain awful.

Get yourself a straight legged fork, a classic chain ring and a bit more subtle wheels and this would be a great bike.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Absolutely agree with @Swijland, this build gone astray had nothing to do with Di2 vs Campy, the Di2 is a fine choice. But the wheels, the solid SRAM chainring, curved fork, on this frame...my lord. But like you say, you're only 20 and a helluva rider it sounds like. So enjoy it as you build it but I suspect one day you'll look back at this thread, have a laugh and say to yourself "What was I thinking?"
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Like I've said the chainrings will be changed; that quarq was on my cervelo until it was replaced by a Rotor SRM. They matched my cervelo rather well.

As for the fork what would you all suggest? The time fork is what came with the frame and I couldn't really find any nice/new 1" forks other than the ritchey and wound up and I don't think either would make it look any better. Should I get an old threaded colnago fork? I've never built a threaded setup, do they still make good quill stems?

The wheels are really from my TT bike but I think they actually look kind of cool against the skinny tubes, and it's probably because I'm 20 haha . Most riding will be done on different (and considerably more shallow) wheels. I will probably race it on my 303s but the front 303 is in the warranty process so I didn't have them for a picture.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

303's without the stickers would look waaay better. For the fork a Colnago Star, Flash or Street would be great.

Dallez

by Dallez

While I agree that 303s or 404s would probably be more suited to this frame than the 808s, I have to say I still like it.

I also love the contrast of deep section wheels and skinny tubes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Regarding the fork, I'm not sure if that frame was originally spec'd with the curved Time fork. @Swijland seems to think it originally came with a Colnago Street fork. I suspect that's probably the case and if possible I'd try to find one eventually. But a great start. I wish I had that nice a frame when I was 20. Enjoy. And yes, if you like it with the deep wheels by all means go for it. Wheels can be changed, like shoes, but the frame stays forever.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Montana

by Montana

Nice Frame! With my taste i would swap the chainrings to something more traditional and take the stickers off the wheels

Enjoy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Here are some pictures I took on my ride today. Working on making a grommet for the di2 cable entries and exits. Rings really need to get swapped the more I look at it. Rides like a dream though, one ride and I'm in love.