Colnago Special EPQ

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Hi Cal,

Both your bikes are amazing. So, the EPQ's frame & fork weighs 116g more than that of the C59 according to your lists. About how much of that do you think is the paint?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm guessing most of that difference can be attributable to the paint. They are the exact same geometries. The only difference structurally is the downtube and the top tube. Same lugs, same rear end. Same fork. In the C59 downtube you have an I-beam like internal construction with a strip of carbon running through the middle of the tube. The EPQ has instead 3 ribs running lengthwise through the downtube. The top tubes are shaped differently but that's about it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nayr497

by nayr497

I absolutely LOVE modern carbon bikes with low profile rims & tan sidewall tires. I love the look & the mixture of modern + traditional.

Great looking bike, very good taste shown here!
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks @nayr497,

Yes, there's something very appealing about classic lines and a good setup. And this is probably the most solid nice riding bike I have at the moment, or ever for that matter. Love these wheels so much that I've built up 5 more sets for different bikes. Still have one set of rims left that I will build on my older silver Chorus hubs that are on my early 90's Basso Lotto. It was my first "really nice" bike and I think it finally deserves some nice tubies after all these years.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

davec

by davec

This is the bike that made me get a colnago. Specifically an epq. Thanks for doing everything you did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@DaveC, when I saw your thread about your 56s in PR99 I had mixed feelings... happy for you, but a good friend wants a new bike and would have snapped your frame up in a heart beat had he known it was available. His first size choice would be a 59 traditional, or secondly, a 56 sloping. It is a timeless paint job for sure. Lucky you for finding it.

davec

by davec

If I ever decide to sell (which i dont forsee in the near future) ill keep him in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I absolutely love this bike, especially the paint scheme and the story! I have to say, it is my favourite bike on weightweenies. Not the lightest, but beautiful and functional.

Chapeau.

123GO

by 123GO

I recently purchased an EPQ and the build will be an an Ultegra level save for the rims which will be Dura Ace 36 spoke hubs (3x in the back and 2x in the front) with DT spokes laced to a Campy Moskva rim with Michelin Pro 4's. If possible, please let me know what you think of your EPQ vs. the C59. Understandably it's like asking which child do you like more but any input would be appreciated. The reason I'm asking is I've spent time on a C50 and a C59 and I'm hoping the EPQ is closer to the C59. Not that the C50 is bad but the C59 was "snappier" in my opinion.

I'm currently riding a Wilier Gran Turismo which is a great bike but it's a size too small and the ride is too harsh for my liking - it's fine for about two hours but doing a century or two long days back to back is too much. The Wilier has an amazingly stout and snappy frame which I may keep and use for crit races.

During the season I ride one hammerfest group ride (around 20 miles), two quicker rides on the weekends (between 30 - 60 miles) and a solo weekly recovery ride of about 20 miles.

Anyhow, please let me know what you think of the EPQ and how it compares to the C59.

wallymann

by wallymann

really, really sick EPQ...and it looks to be in my size, too! trade?! ;-)
walter
motown, michigan, usa
Frequently wrong, but NEVER in doubt!
mijn fietsen >>> http://tinyurl.com/3334erl

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks Wallyman. It's a one of a kind. Can't really imagine what it'd take for me to trade this one, but it wouldn't be another bike.

123GO

by 123GO

Calnago,

Last October I bought a new Colnago EPQ frameset and used parts I already had for the build so it’s a bit hodgepodged - Calnago and others have builds that would put mine to shame but I'm a fatty so having the latest and greatest wouldn't have made me any faster! The build turned out to be greater than the sum of the parts and it's a fantastic bike that I'm very happy with.

Now on to the rim question. Initially I used a set of Fulcrum 5’s that were adequate but nothing special. They were the rims that were on my previous bike and I wanted to use the same: rim/tire/air pressure for comparison. I then put on a set of handbuilts (which I'm currently riding) that are 36 spoke Campy Moskva 80s laced 3x with a 10 speed 12 – 25 cassette on 7900 Dura Ace hubs and DT Spokes. The handbuilts are noticeably better than the Fulcrum 5’s. However, the brake track isn’t that good and the rim has some damage and I’d like to replace them. I want to go to a 11 speed cassette and the 7900 DA’s are spaced for 10.

My current weight is 190 pounds and I’ve been dropping weight (albeit slowly) steadily with the final goal of 175. Based on my riding style and the area I live I’m interested in stiff, light and strong (yes I know this won’t be cheep!) vs. aero. I run Shimano and have heard that Fulcrum will be going to a wider rim bed at some point in 2014. A wide rim Fulcrum 1 or Zero’s would fit the bill but I’m curious if a set of handbuilts would be as stiff and light – I know they would be as strong if not stronger.

Thanks for the input and safe riding.

cerro

by cerro

It's sad that I haven't commented on this thread. Change saddle to Tune Komm-Vor+, bartape to white, pedals to Time, rims to Crono F20 and lower it by 9cm it would be my dream bike. Not so often a bike in size 61 looks so good but this I can sit and drool in front of all evening :D

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks @Cerro. It's my favorite of the Colnagos I have. Few changes since those pics, but nothing major. Still basically has two very nice looks... the classic look with the Nemesis/Record wheels and the more aggressive look with the Dark Label Boras. Generally mostly ride it with the Nemesis wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asdf123

by asdf123

Post up the updated look with the new saddle and Bora 35's :wink: