Best Aero Bike Choice ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

There is a logic indeed, but all this goes out of the window if, for instance, S5 outperformed BMC with a 1.70m rider on board while the situation might be reversed if the test was made with a 1.85m tall rider sitting on. Too many variables? Exactly. So there is some fun discussing all this, however, without much of a real world connection.

I think, the one and only (most likely) true claim would be that these aero bikes outperform a standard "round tube" bike. Buy one and be faster, but become even more faster with any bike by adding 20W or more to your FTP.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

theloper

by theloper

Here are my thoughts.

Scott Foil - I have test rode a Foil team with Red and Zipp 404 firecrest clinchers. It is VERY STIFF! Almost to stiff. It tends to have a dead type feeling to it. There is no spring back in the frame at all. I don't know why they don't narrow the seat stays and give the rear end of the bike some rear end compliance. The head tube on this frame is very short (just the opposite on the S5) I know its probably the least aero of my choices. But I do think its the most versatile frame of the bunch. Where some of the others feel a bit fish out of water when climbing. The foil is right at home on the flats and the hills. Also the Foil is very reasonably prices. I have a friend that is a Scott dealer and I can get a great deal. I could buy 2 top end Foil frame modules and have a grand left over compared to buying 1 Cervelo S5 VWD!

Cervelo S5 / S5 VWD - I still have a feeling the S5 is probably the best in the wind tunnel. I actually don't mind the taller headtube. With my position it allows to to keep my stem slammed without going to a - 17 degree stem. I also think you may see Cervelo offer a new brake set up on the bike similar to the P5 with the Magura hydrolic V brakes that are very aero. Now that we are seeing hydrolic brake group sets. I don't like the fact that there is such a huge difference between the S5 and the VWD version in price. Personally if you painted both frames the same color and built them with the same components I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in stiffness and ride quality. One thing for sure is Im not paying $5,900 for a frame no matter how nice it is.

BMC TMR01 - There are a few things I don't like about this bike. One is the top tube looks almost like it reverse sloping. It really tends to make the frame look clunky. In turn the frame many times looks like there very little seatpost exposed. The TRP brakes on the bike are so - so. Not great but not horrible. But I do know they are a pain in the ass to get set up. I am also hearing that it is not nearly as aero as you may think. I do have a local shop that I have priced a frame out.....just under $4k. Since the top mechanic in the shop recently built up one for himself with new Red and Enve Smart wheels in my size (56) I plan to go by soon to test ride it.

Giant Propel - I have several friends at Giant and have been hearing good things about this bike. The bad news is right now its not available in a module only. I have also heard there is some big issues with the brakes. Again TRP makes the brakes but they are carbon. I have heard they are very flexy under heavy braking. If you have noticed the guys on team Blanco are not using the carbon brakes and have instead had TRP make them some less aero alum. versions. I have heard it puts up some impressive numbers in the wind tunnel. I also dig the one piece aero bar / stem combo they designed to go with the frame. Giant needs to hire a new graphic designer......the paint combos on the frame are horrible.

I hope Velo News does an updated test (including wind tunnel data) on some of the new aero road choices. Would love to see a side by side test with the Trek Madone, Spec. Venge, Giant Propel, Cervelo S5 VWD, Scott Foil Team, BMC TMR01 and also the new Merida Reacto EVO .

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-36890/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

432r

by 432r

quiet simply.
pick the one you like the look of the most. if you don't you will regret the purchase.
for me its simple. The TMR01. I cannot stand the cervelo in looks.

1) TMR01 (not for all tastes)
2) ridley fast (not on list)

You wont ride any faster either way, but both the above are sic (looking). There wont be any tangible difference in it performance wise. someone will pull out some BS chart and i'm guessing he wont be the one crossing the line first at your local crit.

But ---- we do like data at weight weenies

pk1

by pk1

432r wrote:quiet simply.
But ---- we do like data at weight weenies

yes, nice to have some data to back up the decision we've already made based on less rational grounds :lol:

thatdkid

by thatdkid

theloper wrote:Here are my thoughts.

Scott Foil - I have test rode a Foil team with Red and Zipp 404 firecrest clinchers. It is VERY STIFF! Almost to stiff. It tends to have a dead type feeling to it. There is no spring back in the frame at all. I don't know why they don't narrow the seat stays and give the rear end of the bike some rear end compliance. The head tube on this frame is very short (just the opposite on the S5) I know its probably the least aero of my choices. But I do think its the most versatile frame of the bunch. Where some of the others feel a bit fish out of water when climbing. The foil is right at home on the flats and the hills. Also the Foil is very reasonably prices. I have a friend that is a Scott dealer and I can get a great deal. I could buy 2 top end Foil frame modules and have a grand left over compared to buying 1 Cervelo S5 VWD!

Cervelo S5 / S5 VWD - I still have a feeling the S5 is probably the best in the wind tunnel. I actually don't mind the taller headtube. With my position it allows to to keep my stem slammed without going to a - 17 degree stem. I also think you may see Cervelo offer a new brake set up on the bike similar to the P5 with the Magura hydrolic V brakes that are very aero. Now that we are seeing hydrolic brake group sets. I don't like the fact that there is such a huge difference between the S5 and the VWD version in price. Personally if you painted both frames the same color and built them with the same components I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in stiffness and ride quality. One thing for sure is Im not paying $5,900 for a frame no matter how nice it is.

BMC TMR01 - There are a few things I don't like about this bike. One is the top tube looks almost like it reverse sloping. It really tends to make the frame look clunky. In turn the frame many times looks like there very little seatpost exposed. The TRP brakes on the bike are so - so. Not great but not horrible. But I do know they are a pain in the ass to get set up. I am also hearing that it is not nearly as aero as you may think. I do have a local shop that I have priced a frame out.....just under $4k. Since the top mechanic in the shop recently built up one for himself with new Red and Enve Smart wheels in my size (56) I plan to go by soon to test ride it.

Giant Propel - I have several friends at Giant and have been hearing good things about this bike. The bad news is right now its not available in a module only. I have also heard there is some big issues with the brakes. Again TRP makes the brakes but they are carbon. I have heard they are very flexy under heavy braking. If you have noticed the guys on team Blanco are not using the carbon brakes and have instead had TRP make them some less aero alum. versions. I have heard it puts up some impressive numbers in the wind tunnel. I also dig the one piece aero bar / stem combo they designed to go with the frame. Giant needs to hire a new graphic designer......the paint combos on the frame are horrible.

I hope Velo News does an updated test (including wind tunnel data) on some of the new aero road choices. Would love to see a side by side test with the Trek Madone, Spec. Venge, Giant Propel, Cervelo S5 VWD, Scott Foil Team, BMC TMR01 and also the new Merida Reacto EVO .

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-36890/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazing info on all these bike.... Well done!