(Help) Scott Spark 2013 and Shimano XTR Front. Der. Problem

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eimart

by eimart

Hello guys,

i have a problem here and i need help to solve it.
My frame is a Scott Spark 900 RC 2013. And i am using a Shimano XTR Double M980 Crankset 38-26T.
I am looking for a XTR Front Der. to use with my system (that is all xtr)BUt...
-The XTR M980 Front Deraileur is only for Triple Cranksets; so... no good for me (mine is double)
-The XTR M985-E is for use with 40-44T cranks; (no good for me, mine is 38T)
-The XTR M-985-E2 is compatible with my 38T crankset. But it is not compatible with the Spark frame. no good for me, my frame is a spark

Any suggestions ?
Is it impossible to use a 38-26T system and a complete XTR kit with a Spark frame ?

Thanks,

Eimart

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

XTR M 985 - see here for various option for clamp on types.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... Front+Mech

miceden

by miceden

The 2013 Spark 900 RC takes a direct mount front derailleur... all you have to do is google "direct mount xtr front derailleur" and it will give you the XTR M986, its dual pull for 2x10 systems.

eimart

by eimart

miceden wrote:The 2013 Spark 900 RC takes a direct mount front derailleur... all you have to do is google "direct mount xtr front derailleur" and it will give you the XTR M986, its dual pull for 2x10 systems.

Thanks for the reply my friend,

Do you know if this Shimano XTR FD-M986-D (Direct Mount)
Is compatible with the Spark 900 RC 2013 Frame ?

Because there are 2 types of direct mount right ?
This FD-M986-D you use 1 bolt to fix it in the frame .
And the FD-M985-E2 you use 2 bolts to fix it in the frame.

I dont know what type of mounting the spark 2013 uses , 1 or 2 bolts direct mount.

Thanks,

miceden

by miceden

I'm, a little confused... you say in your first post that you have this frame buy you dont know what type of mounting it uses, have you not looked at it?

You need to check your bike, I know it takes a direct mount front derailleur but dont know if its 1 or 2 holes... it its 1 hole you need the M986. if its 2 holes you need the M985-e2

eimart

by eimart

miceden wrote:I'm, a little confused... you say in your first post that you have this frame buy you dont know what type of mounting it uses, have you not looked at it?

You need to check your bike, I know it takes a direct mount front derailleur but dont know if its 1 or 2 holes... it its 1 hole you need the M986. if its 2 holes you need the M985-e2

Let me explain, i bought the frame and a "Shimano FD-M785 Front Derailleur E-Type, Dual Pull, Top Swing". And i took both to a Bike shop to mount it. Now it is already mounted in the frame, i tried to check if it is using Direct Mount or BB Plate mount, but the crankset dont let me see what type of mount it it using.
And i want to buy a XTR Front. Der. to use on the bike.
I have some pictures here, maybe you can recognize what mount it is using.

Thanks !

eimart

by eimart

Looks like 2 holes, so i need the E-Type mounted directly.
So one last question here,
If the M985-E and M985-E2 are the same Front der. But one of them come with BB plate mount and other dont. Why Shimano on their own website specs says that the M985-E is to use only with 40-44T and the M985-E2 is for 38T ?

eimart

by eimart

Scott Support told me that i need a "Shimano XTR M985 E2-type 2x10" .
, directly mounted on the frame.

Thanks all,
Problem solved

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Emsi

by Emsi

Hello,
I have a little problem with front derailleur too. It is SLX in spark 920. The bottom of derailleur scrathed the carbon frame.
Did you have had simillar isues?
Should I replace the front triangle on warranty? or just adjust it properly and ride?
Thanks for your advices.