chain drop on SRAM chain catcher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I had it happen a couple of times, but not during shifting, I stumbled during a stop and back pedalled or something.
Anyway the chain dropped pass the catcher and I was not able to get it back over the catcher onto the ring unless I remove the catcher. I imagine this would be an issue if I don't have a 2.5mm key with me.

I set it about 1/2 mm in the biggest cog, if I set it any closer I think I would hear it rub when actually pedalling.

The thing seems to me is that it won't drop in the biggest cog but if the chainline is on the smaller cogs I think the chain can just slip thru. It is not as tight as the k-edge ones where it is trying to touch the chain ring bolt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Did you use the adjuster stop screw to set the position, or just tighten down the mounting screw with it in position? If it's the latter then it can slip when there is force on it.

I've had the chain come off and get caught by the catcher. Usually when shifting at low speed. It hasn't gotten past the catcher but it has caused the derailleur to go slightly out of adjustment.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

yes I have the set screw pressing on the tab

CBJ

by CBJ

Get a chain catcher to back up the chain catcher?

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I've never had my chain drop past my Sram catcher while riding.

But I did have it happen while the wheels were off my bike in the back of my car on the way to a race.

The way to get it back, without an allen key, is to use 5 or 6 links of the chain to "bend" around the catcher by taking the bend through the chain rings, from the inside to the outside, so as to bypass the catcher.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Cheers

GJ

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Thanks, do you mean take extra links from behind the catcher, or in front of the chain ring?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timzcat

by timzcat

I've had it happen once on the road but was able to get it back past. What I have found is that the epoxy type paint used on the derailleur holds up under initial adjustment but when you do ultimately drop a chain with force into it, the force causes the adjustment screw to actuall dig in to the paint and cause more gap then desired. Once I re-adjusted it after that it's been fine. I was in a smaller cog when it happened.