Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tharmor

by tharmor

astranoc wrote:He said 85kgs for the 20mm but he had heavier customers using them without issues. The weigh difference is +30gr for the 24mm so I decided to play it safer and leave the 20mm for skinnier fellas. Shipping was 85$ to Ireland.

I meant the total cost (including the shipping) if you didn't mind sharing. In my head, I'm estimating not much more than $1000. Am I correct?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Way, way less than that.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

prendrefeu wrote:Way, way less than that.

I think you're right. I just calculated a similar set up (if not identical) on wheelsfar, which is FarSports' e commerce page, if I'm not mistaken, and it came out to $570 + whatever shipping would be to me. That's a crazy tempting deal. Sub kilo wheelset could be perfect for the hills I live by.

eric

by eric

They're nice wheels but run the model to see how much time you'd gain on your favorite climb. It's a lot less than most people think.

http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLe ... _Page.html

tranquilo

by tranquilo

euan wrote:Experience is a week from Farsports, email them to find out.

I did, and kyle (he's very nice by the way) told me that it they usually "build them according to
the lead time described as on the invoice", which is 18 to 23 work days :cry: (I though that was the delivery time).

I guess I just wanted to know if it was always like this :|

Thanks anyway.

astranoc

by astranoc

They told me the same but they were done in 2 days, maybe you ll get lucky too :)

tranquilo

by tranquilo

Yeah, unfortunately it's been 21 days (and more than 10 working days).
Oh well, nothing I can do for now.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

what do the ED hubs sound like? quiet? bee-hive?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Medium-loud.

They are not Chris-King like "beehive" in the speed of the ratchet sound.
They are not muted either, you can definitely hear them.

If you want quiet hubs, you can take them apart and add some more grease to quiet them down a bit.
Some prefer louder hubs.

To each their own.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

I am in the middle of my 1st warranty experience with Farsports. I have a wheel with a rear Ceramic EdHub that from the moment it 1st arrived at my door has not been right. I should've complained about it when I 1st received it, but I was anxious to ride it (I had to wait about a month from the time they received payment until I received it) and get started with my season. From the beginning the hub didn't spin smoothly, there was a pinging sound when I would pedal (I thought it could be the spokes originally, but later on realized it was bad ceramic bearings), and the free hub was LOUD. Being how this was my 1st road wheel from Farsport I thought this kind of low quality must be normal. After about a month I noticed there was considerable play in the axle. I took it to my LBS. The mechanic tried tightening the allen heads on the ends of the axle, but the play remained. He opened the hub, and showed me the hub, axle, and ceramics were bad. I hadn't even ridden 300 miles on this thing yet. Kyle had me fill out a form and send him some photos. Last night he sent me an e-mail saying "Mae" would be in touch regarding the issue. I have 5 other wheels I've bought from Farsports in the past 6 months (2 track wheels w/Novatec hubs and 3 road wheels w/Ceramic EdHubs). I haven't had any issues with them so hopefully they replace this wheel quickly and without too much hassle so I can continue to order wheels and recommend wheels from them. I will definitely keep you all updated as to my experience with this warranty issue.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Update on my warranty issue: Mae contacted me last night. She (he?) said the hub factory had been informed of my issue, and she was waiting for their response.

addictR1

by addictR1

oh man.. Sorry to hear that. Please do keep us posted on that. Hopefully they will come through.

doomith

by doomith

From what I've read regarding other warranty claims, most likely they will send you a new hub, you'll need to get it rebuilt by your own LBS.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I ordered a pair of 38mm clincher rims last week and they arrived today. 390g for the front, 381g rear (20/24), finish is top notch, now they'll be built up w/ extralite hubs and cx-rays. Can't wait!
Speedplay is the devil!

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

^It took a whole month for my wheelset to arrive (granted they needed to be built). I can't wait to get some miles in to see how they fare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com