MTB Power Meter options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AlexJ

by AlexJ

Bbeen looking at a powertap, but i don't like the added weight as i plan to race with one on as well i currently have a pro+ on the road bike which i get on with apart from the original bearings were pretty poor.

Have been looking on ebay at SRM's and Quarq's but would rather buy brand new.(just don't like the larger price tag compared to the Powertap)

would consider the option to rent a crank based one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

A
MTB Rider.

TORQ Performance.
#Science

devinci

by devinci

Its worth paying for a crank based PM in my opinion. I have had experience with both mtb quarq and srm. I would not even get close to a quarq anymore. SRM is worth paying a few more hundreds for the reliability, robust construction and peace of mind on your datas.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tetonrider

by tetonrider

+1 on the SRM option. i have two of them and they are flawless, just as their road units are. MTB leads to more harsh conditions -- dirt/mud, water crossings, more frequent washing, etc. in my opinion, the reliability of SRM is worth it.

if you decide you wish to go in that direction, i may be able to help you.

rockdude

by rockdude

Stages has the only cost affordable option.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

devinci

by devinci

And unproven reliability, accuracy and most importantly, longevity.

Geoff

by Geoff

I'll bet that you can get a used SRM in your neck of the woods for a reasonable price...

Kurt

by Kurt

Geoff wrote:I'll bet that you can get a used SRM in your neck of the woods for a reasonable price...

Agreed. It's probably the best option, and if you're patient you should be able to get a decent price.

rockdude

by rockdude

devinci wrote:And unproven reliability, accuracy and most importantly, longevity.

I guess its fair for you to say these things but this could be said about ANY new product to a market but its really unfair not to get all facts before making discouraging commits about a new product.

From my first hand experience, Stages been reliable and accuracy and if I was worried about longevity, I could get the extended warranty. Heck, I could buy 5 of them with the extended two year no questions asked warranty and get 10 years of warranty for the price of one SRM.

I have had 8 different PM at one time (one for each racing and training bikes) and currently have 5 and for MTBing Stages does a great job. The most important thing is their Customer Service. Powertap's customer service is ok , SRM's is very good, Quarq's is Great but the couple of times I have had questions for Stages, I just have been just blown away and have to say Wow....

This is my first hand experience so far and I don't expect things to change.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

devinci

by devinci

new compagny launching product in a competitive market such a powermeter better have an outstanding ''customer service'' and communication, otherwise it would not start so great for their image.

Not saying stage is not good. For me, it would not do it. I want something strong, reliable, simple and long lasting, SRM does that for me.

I not too much into the ''pro does it'' thing, but look at pro road teams, nobody is on anything else then SRM, except OPQS on quarq IIRC. It says a lot about their history and proven reliability.

I have had experience with quarq customer service, and for me, it was just OK, nothing outstanding. They would not reply to questions asked about my faulty unit and just ask for me to return it. Hell, I have a 2000k$ toy I paid with my money, can I please have some explanation about how the F it can't do it's job properly? Quarq no more.

AlexJ

by AlexJ

managed to get a good price on a new Quarq so went down that route
MTB Rider.

TORQ Performance.
#Science

erty65

by erty65

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com