Enigma Esprit - Titanium - Finished!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

iamalex

by iamalex

It certainly does look a little odd up front Roobay, no question! I did actually size down from my last Enigma which was pretty long and low - It was great but wanted to loose some of that frame length and run a layback post. With the stem slammed on this new one it would still match the front end height I was previously running.

If was to play around with the fit, can I safely put some of those spacers on top of the stem to try out?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamalex

by iamalex

Played with the fit and cut the fork steerer accordingly a few weeks back. Much better than before.
Did the Rapha Hell of the North ride which was a great excuse to upgrade to some Vittoria Open Pave tyres. Much smoother than the GP4000S. Tend to take in some muddy/gravel/dirt tracks while out riding and these seem more than up to the job.
Probably a little over 8kg now.

eurperg

by eurperg

Beautiful! :thumbup:

robin3mj

by robin3mj

Proper.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Boom! Flip the stem and chop the steerer and the bike looks 10x better. Awesome!

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Great build- looks fantastic

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for the thumbs-up! Really enjoying it at the moment

Lesprit

by Lesprit

Nice bike.

Just about to have one built up by Enigma (thinking I should have done it myself now!). Anyway I'm going for the Columbus Minimal fork. Obviously cheaper than the Enve but any views on splashing another 200 quid, is it a must or a future need to have?

iamalex

by iamalex

Lesprit - I'm sure Enigma will do a great job building it up!

I've never ridden the minimal so can't compare the two though it still does look very nice on the Esprit. Perhaps less aggressive looking than the ENVE. I've not ridden a million forks (or high-end bikes) but of the few I have the ENVE 2.0 fork, with 45mm rake, really stands out - smooth and precise would sum it up. I bought it in one of the never ending sales last year so 'only' cost £250 and at that price it wasn't too much more than the Minimal. Evans cycles regularly seem to have '10, 15, 20% Off Components' discount code on their site, I just waited for one of those to come along.

I'm afraid you'll have to make the decision but buying the Minimal and then an ENVE is never going to be the cheaper option.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I like it, a nice and tidy build...nothing over the top.

iamalex

by iamalex

Bought some new wheels as the last ones didn't make it through the winter. These should be a bit tougher...

H Plus Son Archetype Rims - Black
Hope Mono RS Hubs - Silver
24F / 28R
Sapim Race/Alpina F1 Spokes + Brass Nipples - Silver
Velox 22mm Rim Cloth
808g F / 968g R (inc 11sp spacer)
1770g

Knackered hip so can't ride at the moment. Hopefully tomorrow.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Those are a great addition! Still such a clean looking bike.

intheshed

by intheshed

Great looking bike - been considering building up one of these for a while as a 'middle-aged' treat!

I reckon I'm a 57cm too. Can I ask you what saddle height you run and how much saddle to bar drop you've ended up with since trimming down the steerer?

Thanks in advance.

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks Quinn.

Must admit, whilst they feel rock solid they don't feel quite as quick as the previous wheelset. Going to play with the tyre pressure and perhaps some latex inners see if that makes a difference.

Intheshed - I got the tape measure out...
Saddle to floor: 1020mm
Saddle to bar drop: 90mm
(I spend most of my time cycling in the drops, Ergonova Team bars, so not a massive drop on those).
Much more comfortable since loosing the spacers and flipping the stem. I guess sitting on a jig for a fit and actually riding are quite different.

If you can, try and head over to Enigma and have a test ride. They were fantastically helpful when I went. Some of the other models might be a bit stiffer if that was something you needed. I get some brake rub if stomping on the pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com