Bottle cage threads in frame getting loose

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

llhh

by llhh

Hi all,

I have a problem with two different carbon frames that I use - Scott and Pinarello. Both have a problem that bottle cage holding threads in the frame's down tube are getting loose to a point of rattling. I haven't crashed nor have had any other excessive force applied to the cages, yet they're giving me headache. The question is if there is a good way to fix it. I cannot think of any, but does anyone here have any experience getting an annoyance like this sorted in other way than getting a Camelbak? ;)

Thanks guys!
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

What cages were you using? If you use cages that have little or no give in them the fixing point is taking all the stress so will work lose. Tacx cages are notorious for this especially where the frame has little reinforcement of the cage bolts.

Try getting them re-rivetted.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu May 17, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

You could try a bit of fix it putty. Pop a bit in threads, screw your bottle cages in and let set . Its very strong should do the job.

Podunk

by Podunk

How about green loctite.
Designed to be used after assembly. It seeps into the threads.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_ ... en-290.htm

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

if you mean the boss is coming loose, it isn't that uncommon. You can usually fix it by expanding the pop rivet a little more. If you have an M5 rivet gun just screw it in and gently squeeze the handle. If you don't have one you can make your own tool. All you need is an M5 bolt, and two nuts, one M5 and one M6 or a little larger.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

As madcow said this is more common than you think.

Cannondale was ready to send me a new frame when the rivets came loose on my old supersix. We fixed them at the shop with a rivet gun before it came to that though.

If your frames are still in warranty perhaps your lbs will look after you. If not they should have a rivet gun and be able to tighten the rivet up.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Yeah, I had that happen as well. My LBS had the tool to tighten them up again.

llhh

by llhh

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

seandonovan

by seandonovan

madcow wrote:if you mean the boss is coming loose, it isn't that uncommon. You can usually fix it by expanding the pop rivet a little more. If you have an M5 rivet gun just screw it in and gently squeeze the handle. If you don't have one you can make your own tool. All you need is an M5 bolt, and two nuts, one M5 and one M6 or a little larger.

madcow - Could you elaborate on the make-your-own-tool method? I have an idea of where you're going, but want to be sure.

kman

by kman

M5 bolt, thread on M5 nut, then slip on washer, then thread into hole. Spin the nut and washer down until it hits the frame, then tighten it against the frame. Now tighten it a little more. What you're doing is effectively using the bolt to pull the inside of the bottle cage mount out of the frame (but it can't come out, it will squish and tighten against the frame).

I had to do this on my CAAD9 after using tune cages. The twist motion you need to use removing bottles worked the mounts loose so even when the cages were on tightly, they rattled in the frame. Switched to more normal style carbon cages and the problem has not happened again in the 2 years since.

Google "rivnuts", thats basically what they are. A rivet with a threaded section through the centre to thread the bolt into.

No need to re-rivet, do not use glue, putty or loctite. They won't work. Anyone suggesting any type of glue is misunderstanding the problem.
Oh, and do it sooner rather than later. Leave it too long and the rivetted part will become so loose it may spin in the frame and you will have a LOT of trouble getting the bottle cage bolts out.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

latman

by latman

I am actually surprised there are not more corrosion problems between the carbon tubing and alloy rivnuts .

Dalai

by Dalai

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Very common problem, very easy fix.
Don't bother with glue, it does nothing.
A narrow metal tube (6mm ID or so)of about 4" long and a front skewer are all you need.
1. Remove drive side nut and both springs from skewer. Set them aside. Don't lose them.
2. Slip tube onto skewer axle.
3. Thread skewer into offending cage bolt boss, with skewer lever open. Thread it enough that it is just snug.
4. Close skewer lever.
5. Remove skewer from frame and tube from skewer. Reassemble skewer. Enjoy nice tight cage bolt boss.

kman

by kman

Nice tip with the skewer. Why are we digging up this old thread?
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

I don't know why this thread was resurrected, but I'm glad it was. I'm facing this exact problem right now!