SRAM 11 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dallez

by Dallez

tinozee wrote:Dallez - How is that creating a problem? A problem for who?

The fact is that Sram presented the 2012 Red as a top shelf and new group about 10 months ago. When groupset manufacturers release a new group, I think it is fair to expect that it will remain as the top tier group for at least a couple of years. Even if that is not the case, then I think it's fine for CONSUMERS to make criticism of COMPANIES. There is no need to be a fanboi of a brand unless you have some sort of odd insecurity and material obsession.

The point and benefit of product and brand criticism is that it drives improvement - there is a simple solution that Sram could supply to folks who bought the old/new group. Let's see if they do that by creating a fix pack with an 11sp ratchet for the 10sp shifter. If not, it will be the last time I purchase Sram. I would think that they would appreciate that type of feedback. It's definitely more valuable to them than more airy comments buttering their nuts.

I meant problem in that hypothetically had Ozrider might have just been happy with his current 2012 Red gruppo and enjoyed it now and for the foreseeable future. But because 22 has been announced now that enjoyment has lessened somehow. It just seems like a strong reaction to dump it all together.

Like I said I understand the frustration. We've all fallen prey I'm sure, likely with regards to electronics despite how much research we might have done. Progress is always around the corner.

I will agree it seems pointless to have introduced 2012 Red when they surely new 22 was in the works. Just wait 1 year.

Lastly I am not against criticising companies. The Internet is a funny place where you get labeled a fanboy for freaking having an opinion. I have 105 on my bike. I amnit some preacher for all things SRAM. I was merely making an observation that Ozriders decision to dump Red immediately seems curious to me. But it's no judgment and like I said I understand the frustration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Ozrider wrote:Also really annoyed with SRAM, upgraded to new SRAM Red 6 months ago. Now I have an outdated but new groupset.

So does your outdated but new groupset no longer work?
Or are you just pissed because you no longer have the latest and greatest?

I bought a Red quarq less than 6 months ago, but Im not going to cry a river because SRAM has since released 11 sp.

Im sorry, I just dont get why you are so upset.

BmanX

by BmanX

This is the same type of person that has a leased car and goes into the dealership every year to get the most current car even though the last years model works more than fine enough but you know there is something better. OR is the person that is just never happy.

I bet when Sram releases Electronic Shifting he gets pissed about that.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Aakoo

by Aakoo

Dallez wrote:I also don't know about all of this talk about devaluing the current 10s Red and Force groups. It may very well be the case IF they introduce the Red 22 and Force 22 groups at the 10s prices. But they may introduce the 11s at higher price points thus keeping the value and used market prices relatively stable I would assume. We shall see.

I checked the MSRP prices on the SRAM website, Force 22 prices are actually lower than the 10sp 2013 Force. Only the cassette and the FD cost more.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Ozrider wrote:Also really annoyed with SRAM, upgraded to new SRAM Red 6 months ago. Now I have an outdated but new groupset.

be thankful you at least had 6 months with the top teir. Some friends of mine are having their back orders fullfilled for 10spd red now* by their LBS....

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Can anyone confirm what pads the SRAM 22 disc calipers use please ?

I'm interested in the relative pad sizes for these calipers and other similar systems like the TRP Parabox ones

topflightpro

by topflightpro

A fair reason to be frustrated is that at some point, Sram is going to stop supporting the 10-speed line up. When will that happen? I don't know. But now that 11-speed is out there, there is little reason for people to buy the 10-speed Red stuff, meaning there is little reason for Sram to continue producing it.

As a result, all those people who just bought the New Red within the last 10-months could very well soon find themselves unable to replace broken parts, unless they want to do so with Rival or Apex (this is assuming the discontinue Force 10-speed as well, which would make sense, and that Rival and Apex don't soon end up 11-speed only). And I'm guessing that folks who shelled out for the New Red don't really want to use Rival or Apex.

As previously noted, the trend had been for groups to stand pat for about four years, which for me, is about how long it takes for me to completely wear out a group. Now, that trend seems to be gone, with updates and changes coming more and more frequently and manufacturers doing everything then can to make new groups incompatible with existing ones, forcing a complete overhaul.

rijndael

by rijndael

I bought a Red group in December, with a Quarq.

Campy and Shimano were already at 11 speeds. I knew it was only a matter of time before SRAM followed. Would I have waited if I knew it was going to be 4 months away? Maybe. I didn't buy it for resale value, I bought it to use, and I've enjoyed it.

-Sent using Tapatalk

BmanX

by BmanX

You can still buy 8 speed and 9 speed items so that talk about 10 speed going away is not going to happen any time soon. Just because 11 speed is now the level does not mean that the lower speed items just go "POOF". That argument is old and not valid.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

tinozee

by tinozee

I love how people are in here telling consumers to be thankful. FAUCK OFF. You are not some righteous cycling freds, they don't go online, you are product whores as well. If you don't admit that KYS cuz you are a trife hypocrite.

The point being made is that SRAM put out TWO new groups in ONE year.

I like that new S-Works ad CAVENGEDISH in the mags of Cav's Sram Red chain fully off the chain rings. I bet he's super pumped to be on Sram Red. :lol:

Rush

by Rush

I wonder if I'll be able to pick up SRAM red 10-speed for a good price in a few years.

Rush

by Rush

BmanX wrote:You can still buy 8 speed and 9 speed items so that talk about 10 speed going away is not going to happen any time soon. Just because 11 speed is now the level does not mean that the lower speed items just go "POOF". That argument is old and not valid.

What it does mean though is that it will get harder to find 'good' 10 speed components in the future.

BmanX

by BmanX

Or you can just buy them now while they are available and keep them in your own personal inventory. There is always a way around a situation instead of just whining about it.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

As one of the builders of the first two sram 11 speeds i can tell you its not a hard thing to build, however after experimenting with many types of wheels it simply was to tight to garauntee it fitted every bike and every wheel.

To put it simply there isnt enough room to run an 11spd cassette on a 10spd free hub, without doing what monchito did by machining the hub. Im going to experiment with and actual 11 speed wheel and cassette (shimano at this point) and make a lever internal to fit my sram (because anyone that knows my sram levers will tell you they have 20 hours worth of tender love and care in them, and i dont fancy doing that all over again)

No reason why these parts couldnt be produced to fit in any old sram 10spd lever so you can upgrade without spending big $$.

In the mean time im going to finish my letter to Santa, telling him the exact details of my Sram Red 11spd grouppo for christmas.
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

rijndael

by rijndael

Rush wrote:What it does mean though is that it will get harder to find 'good' 10 speed components in the future.

I bumped in to a SRAM tech at my LBS, he said they're producing a 10 speed hydraulic rim brake setup for 2013. So, they're definitely not abandoning 10 speed this year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com