The NEW Weight Weenie Kit Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Clothing manufacturers

Louis Garneau
51%
Pactimo
10%
Champion System
39%

Total votes: 79

Geoff

by Geoff

I really liked the Champion Systems Toyota-United kit. The bibs were really nice and the chamois was prefect (maybe the best I have ever used). They have lots of different jersey, long-sleeve jersey and gilet fabric choices. The short gloves, not so much. The long gloves were excellent and have a good velcro cuff. The fit of all the kit was really good for me, too (179cm, 59kg). What pieces are you thinking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slyboots

by slyboots

Liggero wrote:design. this one is just so so...

Liggero wrote:this design is UGLY as hell...

Whoa, it looks like current design deteriorated quite a bit in just 4 days.

Liggero wrote:But I really don't care

I guess, we figured the same. So what was your point coming into this thread, besides selling your services?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

But don't forget, when you engage Liggero's services, you not only get a great design, but a great attitude as well.

Liggero

by Liggero

If I were you, I would ask Prendrefeu to do a decent design. If you charge 5€ extra per kit, considering a decent kit will sell 5-10 times more than this one, you can pay the designer and you'll get a decent design. And yes, it will cost you about 5€ per person; what a wrong idea I just had, right? Shame on me...
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

you can also get a couple decent sponsors to pay for the design, again, considering half of the users of this forum are cycling fashion vitims, i´m sure you get the point. And with a couple sponsors, the kit would look better, and the nice design will cost you ZERO, as it would be paid by the sponsors (that should cover the designer costs, not the cost of the kit). Please get decent sponsors, a brand that is nice to wear their logo, not a crap company.

I just had another horrible idea!!!! Shame on me x2

I suggest you look at the kits of fairwheel bikes shop, or the one of Velominati Website. Maybe that way you get what I mean. Also look at the kits designed by Prendefreu, they are not so good as these, but still so much better than this orange kit that was already ugly in 1996.

Happy Trails !!!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Liggero wrote:Also look at the kits designed by Prendefreu, they are not so good as these...

HA! Ummmm thanks. :lol:
I don't think you've seen the other kits though - some are far better than what I've gotten around to sharing on the internet.

Anyway, I thought about proposing a design for the WW kit just because I like this forum a lot, but thought it might offend the original designer (DJ, if my memory serves).

That said I'll throw something together overnight and just post it up here. It will be rough, but it will include the "orange" of WW, the ant-logo, and a bit more elegance to it. If people like it, ok. If people don't, ok. Just putting up an option.

Thanks!

:thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

PSM

by PSM

I want a jersey. What about the size? That is the biggest issue for me. To get the correct size. I am L in Rapha.

183cm /74 kg...

Liggero

by Liggero

prendrefeu wrote:
Liggero wrote:Also look at the kits designed by Prendefreu, they are not so good as these...

HA! Ummmm thanks. :lol:
I don't think you've seen the other kits though - some are far better than what I've gotten around to sharing on the internet.

Anyway, I thought about proposing a design for the WW kit just because I like this forum a lot, but thought it might offend the original designer (DJ, if my memory serves).

That said I'll throw something together overnight and just post it up here. It will be rough, but it will include the "orange" of WW, the ant-logo, and a bit more elegance to it. If people like it, ok. If people don't, ok. Just putting up an option.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

I think the orange is just the color of the ant face. I see no orange in this site apart from that. You can leave the ant face orange if it's small, or make it grey or just however you want that looks nice. But just like the velominati kit, with orange as a little nice touch, not an overdose.

Orange is overrated... :up:

Also if you can, add some logos from very expensive carbon components manufacturers, or starbike or fairwheelbikes. It will look super-mega-pro.
Happy Trails !!!

djconnel

by djconnel

prendrefeu wrote:Anyway, I thought about proposing a design for the WW kit just because I like this forum a lot, but thought it might offend the original designer (DJ, if my memory serves).

I am not offended by alternate proposals. The goal is to get the best possible jersey, and I'm not an expert designer; I just did my best. On the other hand claims of "it's ugly" without any substantive contribution other than self-promotion aren't super-rewarding based on the considerable time I spent on the project, and "design by committee" type suggestions don't generally work well. But that's the minority, plenty of others have told me they appreciate it.

If you have a design in mind, feel free to go for it!

I actually like the way this one came out. I wore it until it wore out, and I received only positive comments. I'd gladly buy more. About orange not matching someone's bike, that seems sort of "pro-wanna-be" to me. It's hard to get past black & white if that's the goal.

Liggero

by Liggero

Well, if saying it's ugly it's a self promotion, then I´m the queen of england... Saying it's ugly it's something very subjective, I get that. I know that designing a kit takes a lot of time and it's not easy. Thank you djconnel for your effort, Iñm sure it's appreciated.

The thing is that I guess we all appreciate professionalism, and if you are not a professional in graphic design, it's kind of impossible to get a professional result, right? Not having a professional end result for a kit of a non professional website or non-professional team is not the end of the world, but I think if you can get the help of a professional, you can get a better result than the current kit, or euskaltel kit or movistar kit... I think.

I´m sure you got lots of positive comments, cause the people that didn't like it just wouldn't buy it or just wouldn't say it, because, considering the time and effort it took you, and that you are not a professional in the field of graphic design, it would be extremely rude to say so. Problem here is that I´m not guided but political correctness or the the principles of politeness. So if i think it's ugly, well i say it's ugly. And i just hope god will forgive me someday for this. Meanwhile I will punish myself for such a horrible sin...

Now, back to topic, if you look at the examples of kits I showed, they are not black and white and they can fit properly any bike. The percentage of surface of color (not black, and not white color, the third colour) is limited, but still they have some colour, specially the one of fairwheelbikes. The one of velominati has orange as the third colour (black and white will always be the main ones) and looks good and fit any bike.

If having a nice kit means "pro-wanna-be", I say welcome to "pro-wanna-be", although I would just call it "here it's a nice kit", made by a professional with a professional look.

The issues I see in the current kit are the typical issues for a kit with just one banner;
- name repeated too many times. and too big too fit the space. It's not necessary to fit all the space, just look at FWB kit.
- third colour, in this case orange, should be always third, and not first.
- the ant as the pet or favicon of the site is a nice thing. Now, I would make something more bike related, or make the ant not so protagonist. I would make it just in the chest, smaller, or something like that.
- if you cut the word weight-weenies in two parts, i think it's no good.
- make it more simple, more minimal, more contemporary. Or more retro, which is also simple and minimal. But this one is too loaded from my personal point of view.
- sides of jersey and bib shorts should have the same colour, or a smooth transition of colour. Right now it's black on the jersey side and orange on the bib side. That is no good. In the velominati kit is good, cause it follows the same colour in the sides. Same thing on the FWB kit.

I think this is more than enough comments of the current kit. I just hope this is not considered self promotion, but free personal opinion. Thanks.
Happy Trails !!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Liggero wrote:I´m a graphic designer, and making a nice kit takes a nice set of hours behind the computer. If you pay me for those or you you offer a couple kits in advance I will happily do it. Otherwise I won't. hehe...
djconnel wrote:claims of "it's ugly" without any substantive contribution other than self-promotion aren't super-rewarding
Liggero wrote:Well, if saying it's ugly it's a self promotion, then I´m the queen of england...

Liggero

by Liggero

I said that because it takes some hours to do a good design, I can do an ugly one like the current one in 60 minutes I think, but it would be still ugly. Also I promoted prendrefeu, cause he does good designs and he is respected as he don't say when something it's ugly even if he thinks so, unlike me. It's not self promotion, it was more like, I´m not gonna make any proposal for a kit, as someone requested me to show an alternative design when i said this one is so, so, because it would be either too bad or it would take me too long to make it for free. That is why I suggested to get a paid professional.

Now, if u want to do an ugly one, that's perfectly fine for me. Go for it. actually, you have one already. Job done. Congrats mates. Please excuse me for having good taste, I´m very sorry for that, I apologise. From now on I will have bad taste, use color tires and long socks... And white arm warmers too.
Happy Trails !!!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Hey, what's wrong with long socks??!!

Anyways. I will buy a kit either way. That being said, that Fairwheel bikes kit is HOT.

PSM

by PSM

"Also if you can, add some logos from very expensive carbon components manufacturers, or starbike or fairwheelbikes. It will look super-mega-pro."

Why should we promote companies for free? That is stupid. :(

Just Weight Weenies thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

PSM wrote:"Why should we promote companies for free? That is stupid. :(

This only makes sense if the companies are happy to pay a part of the order, otherwise I can't see a point of being "more pro" by having a random name on my kit. And personally I like the current design, and in contrast i find the Fairwheel one not to my taste.