anyone ridden in taiwan?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

davidalone

by davidalone

my road race team may be getting a sponsorship by taiwan tourism to go there as some sort of publicity thing for the KOM race in november. ( I don't know why they are asking as to go up as we are NOWHERE near the level of competition for that KOM race in november, but no one looks a free cycling holiday in the mouth, right?)

the proposed iteniary says we ride up wuling mountain . 104km long, 3250m elevation. doesn't seem that difficult (a 3% average gradient), but 3% over 104km might become pretty bad. I live in a pancake flat region. the most challenging I've done was 4% average over 50km, and that was rather bad enough. anyone ridden here and know what to expect?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I have never ridden in Taiwan but I remember on Rapha account:
http://www.rapha.cc/the-rapha-continent ... hehuanshan

looks like fun!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Are you asking for people who have ridden there?

Or how the hell you'll survive the race? :lol: good luck with that one! (sounds awesome to me :twisted: )

hubert222

by hubert222

Hi, i live in taiwan, taichung. And race in taiwan, Need some help ?
The best Quality bike i had - colnago - c40, c50 , time -vxrs , bianchi, Look - 381, 585Ultra. giant- Adv SL isp

hubert222

by hubert222

Here are some information :https://www.facebook.com/taiwankom/info
The best Quality bike i had - colnago - c40, c50 , time -vxrs , bianchi, Look - 381, 585Ultra. giant- Adv SL isp

hubert222

by hubert222

davidalone

by davidalone

I think I just shat myself reading that 20% average grade for the last 5km

davidalone

by davidalone

Tinea Pedis wrote:Are you asking for people who have ridden there?

Or how the hell you'll survive the race? :lol: good luck with that one! (sounds awesome to me :twisted: )

both.

micky

by micky

Taiwan is a wonderful place for a cyclist, both due to the panoramas and the many cycling lovers in the Country.
About the race, I dont envy you! :lol:

yongkun

by yongkun

Wuling is a beast. 3% average looks deceiving but there are long section in excess of >15%.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I've ridden a lot in Taiwan before and that route is tough.
The average gradient of 3% is over the whole course and it starts pretty flat.
I've also ridden from yilan and taichung side to central mountains - it's pretty tough. I found the hardest part to be that gradients fluctuate a LOT. It's the way mountain roads are built there - very different from the loops you see in the alps for example.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Other than the race, I'm very sure you'll enjoy the trip. The scenery, the people, the food all are nice. Not to mention... comparatively, the weather there in November is excellent to most parts of temperate Northern Hemisphere !

munk93

by munk93

Well I raced against John Ebsen (The winner from last year), in Denmark. He is a decent rider home in Denmark, were the tallest mountain is 173 meters. No question that he would rip most pros apart in a race like that. I don't know your weight, but I'm a decent climber at 70 kg (Top shape) and I would take it as an experience. So should you. :D

davidalone

by davidalone

haha. the problem for me is that I have the build of a climber who lives in a flat country. (64 kg race weight, former XC runner, so big endurance base, lean but not super muscular on the top.) I'm sure I'd survive, it just depends how painful it would be.

Any suggestions on gearing? I've climbed genting highlands (50km , 4% average ) on a 39-25 ( was rather painful though.) would a 39-28 be sufficient?

munk93

by munk93

Should be easy for you then ;) Sounds like you have a much bigger chance of making a result than me.
On gears. I don't know. The most crazy thing I've been up against was the hills around Lucca in Italy. One in particular 12 km, with sections up to 28 %. I handled it with 39-25, but sure 100 K with sections of 20 %, I would need something smaller. Probably a bigger cassette. It's cheaper than a compact crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com