Sidi Wire Speedplay..Or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jan erik

by jan erik

I fancy a new pair of shoes and I got Speedplays. I see that the new Wire can be delivered with SP sole but is that really a vice decision? Even though it often described with the new vent sole for me it seems like it has the "old" carbonsole. And what about weight and stack height compared to the original wire with a SP adapter?
Anyone have an opinion?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.F

by Martin.F

FWIW I'm running the wire non SP with speedplay pedals and an adapter. It works just fine. You get around 4 mm less stack with the SP sole, and it's easier to adjust the cleat (no need to remove cleat to adjust back-forth). On the downside you commit to using speedplays.

jan erik

by jan erik

no need to quote the above

Thanks! Can you say something about the carbonsole compared if you have seen/tried the Vent sole?

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Nothing special to say besides that it is low-profiled and very stiff. The open-close vent mechanism is yet to be tried out as I'm still running shoecovers (brr, cold). I assume it's something similar to my Diadora Jet racers (airy and cold without shoecovers on cold days).

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Got speedplay ergo 3s thinking a set of speedplay wires might be a nice post winter present.. Any thoughts?

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I wish they came in black....
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I have both Ergo 3s and Wires -- the vented carbon soles on both models are identical. I found the vented soles slightly beneficial during hot rides. Just make sure you close the vents when venturing on inclement weather rides.

davidalone

by davidalone

love my wires. comfy and stiff! have to say it's a high maintainence shoe though. the wire enclosure needs some cleaning and oiling and im onl a few months into them.

davidalone

by davidalone

love my wires. comfy and stiff! have to say it's a high maintainence shoe though. the wire enclosure needs some cleaning and oiling and im onl a few months into them.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I just ordered wires with SP sole. They are at home waiting for me. I'll be on them next week. I'll let you know how they work out...

jrobart

by jrobart

Picked up a pair of ergo 3 with the SP specific sole over the winter. Been wearing them for about three weeks now and so far so good. I do like the lower stack height.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Have the SP-specific Wires- great shoes, really like them. Lower stack height is great.

Seems that the toe box is slightly roomier than previous Sidis, and of course you don't get open/close vents with the SP sole- worth noting if you're considering buying them.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. I've been riding them for about 6 months now and am thrilled with them. The Speedplay specific sole is fantastic. I love the lower stack height. The only problem I have is that I don't want to ride with any of my other shoes which use the standard adaptor. I can really feel the difference.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have both the ergo 3s and the wires in sp bases and I love em.. Shame that you have too buy mouldable inner soles.. They really for the price should come with something better but otherwise they are awesome shoes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

sugarkane wrote:I have both the ergo 3s and the wires in sp bases and I love em.. Shame that you have too buy mouldable inner soles.. They really for the price should come with something better but otherwise they are awesome shoes

Do you find that the toe-box in the wires is slightly roomier than in the ergo 3s for the same size, as others have hinted?