Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

You're in the wrong business!

Ultralight carbon fiber dental repair! Untapped market.

Seriously, congrats on the Porte!!!!! That's amazing.

However, my decision to not get a lightweight combo last year was supported when I went to a fitter and he moved my seat back 2 cm, and additionally dropped the nose and lowered it. I know as soon as I got one I'd change my mind again.
Last edited by djconnel on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmanX

by BmanX

With my 29er fitting almost completed, I know I will need to get another Berk combo as I need to get that build down into the 15's and the Berk combo is always a great choice.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@djconnel
Thanks!
For the tools - it wouldn't be the best idea to use carbon tools, but anyway, I really didn't saw anything similar yet :mrgreen:

Thanks for the compliments BmanX :beerchug:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Matte UD/plain combo. 128g, 31.6 x 320mm:

deermatt

by deermatt

I havent read all 84 pages , but that saddle / post combo is beautiful! I'd love one that had a flatter saddle similar to a fizik antares.

theletterk

by theletterk

Berk wrote:Matte UD/plain combo. 128g, 31.6 x 320mm:

*LIKE* 8)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Congrats on the Porte post! That's really well done. All the other stuff is great too :)

However, one much really have dialed in the position to even consider a seatpost/saddle combo. I can't imagine it working for mountain bike use.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to all!

@the_marsbar
It's really a very specific part. It also depends a lot from each person because the ride with a product like this is a bit different. I didn't rode it yet on MTB, but some use it also on MTB.

So that's why I started with my own saddle with saddle rails, also for more comfort and for riders who prefer to have a hole in the centre (I'm also one of them).
Unfortunately I still didn't managed to make it because there was a small problem with the moulds for the saddle rails (had to redesign the moulds) so hopefully I'll get the moulds for the rails in the next few days. Not everything goes perfect :mrgreen:, but I'll for sure keep on working on it,..

Also some new moulds for my new frame projects are designed and now I'm waiting that they will be done - this time I won't make them by myself, but it will be CNC machined and I'll use prepreg for the complete procedure, etc.,...the frame is a bit redesigned form the version that I posted the last time, and it won't be monocoque, I'll stick with tube-to-tube procedure, that allows me more customization. I'll write more about it soon..;)
I'm really excited to start with it, but can't promise when exactly it will be done...so I have to wait quite a bit, but also this has a good side, I'm a lot on my bike these days :)..

Liggero

by Liggero

awesome work berk!!! Nice to see why sky team are so successful, as they look for any possible marginal gain and they have a control on material (like wiggo with speedplay, bont and osymmetric... ).
Happy Trails !!!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks Liggero :beerchug:

A small update - first prototype saddle shell.
It's the saddle that will have carbon saddle rails. This one on the photo is the first prototype, and it won't be used for a product - but it will be destroyed (for testing purposes).
Mention that the saddle is completely rough, still some release agent on it, the edges aren't precisely trimmed, etc.,..

The underside of the saddle shell where you can see a hybrid fabric called carbon/innegra:

I'll keep you updated about the progress. Regarding the final weigh, it depends from the saddle rails, but as it looks it will be a bit lighter than I thought, we'll see!

After the first prototype I'm also considering to change a bit the saddle mould, and I may also make the saddle a bit wider - this one is ~130mm, but probably it would be nice if I make it ~142mm..?
Anyway, I'll test this one and then I'll decide how to continue. It would be really good if I could found a compromise and make that saddle width.
Last edited by Berk on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Great stuff as always !!

DanW

by DanW

Hi Berk, I realise it is probably too late now to modify saddle designs but have you considered attaching the rails like the Selle Italia CX Zero saddle in some way? It looks like a neat solution but perhaps limits the flex you are aiming for- I am not sure.

The upper section prototype looks great as always :thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks to both! I just edited a bit my post and you already commented :)

@DanW, I'll stick with that design. I know what you mean, but I don't think that the design of the CX Zero or AX Phoenix saddle works well, although it looks really good. I get quite a few of those saddles that were broken in the area where the saddle rails stick to the front part of the saddle. And I also want to make a really comfortable saddle, so I'll stick with the saddle rails that I designed.

Once I make the saddle rails the finished saddle will have an unique look (with the rear bridge):
Also from the view of manufacturing process I prefer to have separated saddle rails (more control), and it will be glued to the saddle shell - because the large area that will be glued to the saddle shell there is no need for "step 3" (some more carbon work).

I'll laminate some more prototype saddle shells to test them, and hopefully then I get the saddle rails moulds in the next few days..

pje0713

by pje0713

Gorgeous cutout saddle design. I would love one of these new ones in a 142mm size. Please keep us up to date on the prototypes!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

^Agreed. A 142-143mm version would be very appealing! I'd love to be able to showcase some Berk work! I'm currently excluded no thanks to ISP :(