Well, if saying it's ugly it's a self promotion, then I´m the queen of england... Saying it's ugly it's something very subjective, I get that. I know that designing a kit takes a lot of time and it's not easy. Thank you djconnel for your effort, Iñm sure it's appreciated.
The thing is that I guess we all appreciate professionalism, and if you are not a professional in graphic design, it's kind of impossible to get a professional result, right? Not having a professional end result for a kit of a non professional website or non-professional team is not the end of the world, but I think if you can get the help of a professional, you can get a better result than the current kit, or euskaltel kit or movistar kit... I think.
I´m sure you got lots of positive comments, cause the people that didn't like it just wouldn't buy it or just wouldn't say it, because, considering the time and effort it took you, and that you are not a professional in the field of graphic design, it would be extremely rude to say so. Problem here is that I´m not guided but political correctness or the the principles of politeness. So if i think it's ugly, well i say it's ugly. And i just hope god will forgive me someday for this. Meanwhile I will punish myself for such a horrible sin...
Now, back to topic, if you look at the examples of kits I showed, they are not black and white and they can fit properly any bike. The percentage of surface of color (not black, and not white color, the third colour) is limited, but still they have some colour, specially the one of fairwheelbikes. The one of velominati has orange as the third colour (black and white will always be the main ones) and looks good and fit any bike.
If having a nice kit means "pro-wanna-be", I say welcome to "pro-wanna-be", although I would just call it "here it's a nice kit", made by a professional with a professional look.
The issues I see in the current kit are the typical issues for a kit with just one banner;
- name repeated too many times. and too big too fit the space. It's not necessary to fit all the space, just look at FWB kit.
- third colour, in this case orange, should be always third, and not first.
- the ant as the pet or favicon of the site is a nice thing. Now, I would make something more bike related, or make the ant not so protagonist. I would make it just in the chest, smaller, or something like that.
- if you cut the word weight-weenies in two parts, i think it's no good.
- make it more simple, more minimal, more contemporary. Or more retro, which is also simple and minimal. But this one is too loaded from my personal point of view.
- sides of jersey and bib shorts should have the same colour, or a smooth transition of colour. Right now it's black on the jersey side and orange on the bib side. That is no good. In the velominati kit is good, cause it follows the same colour in the sides. Same thing on the FWB kit.
I think this is more than enough comments of the current kit. I just hope this is not considered self promotion, but free personal opinion. Thanks.
Happy Trails !!!